Why become a member? ×

Fender '51 Precision - Classic

Linus27

I was just looking at the Fender website and noticed that it now has a section under Precision bass called classic. In this section is the '50's Precision and the '51 Precision. Am I right in remembering that the '51 Precision was removed from the website and has now been put back in the Fender line up under this new section called Classic or am I wrong and it has always been there?

Either way I hope it stays as I do plan to get a '51 some day.

Really like these, but ain't buying unless it gets the 54 spec countoured body. If they did that and gave it the "roadworn" treatment, I can't help but feel they'd sell shedloads of them.

Or they take that poxy Sting logo off the other one :)

Bass direct had a trans white 54 style, custom shop model, a while back... I'd have killed you all for it :)

I had a 51 Reissue. Sold, it, missed it so much bought it back, then realised that though it`s a great bass, I never played it much, and was a pointless ornament, so sold it again. Hopefully the current owner plays it more than I did.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1320270397' post='1424743']
Really like these, but ain't buying unless it gets the 54 spec countoured body. If they did that and gave it the "roadworn" treatment, I can't help but feel they'd sell shedloads of them.

Or they take that poxy Sting logo off the other one :)

Bass direct had a trans white 54 style, custom shop model, a while back... I'd have killed you all for it :)
[/quote]

Thats exactly what i wanted, so I assembled my own.

Bought a Sting and a '51 reissue bass, swapped necks, sold the one i didnt want, and made this;

This is the sting body, with the swapped neck;

[attachment=92515:1.jpg]

Here's the finished body relic'd'

[attachment=92516:2.JPG]

New decal over the finish;

[attachment=92517:3.JPG]

Some pics of the 'fake' checking;

[attachment=92518:4.JPG]
[attachment=92519:5.JPG]
[attachment=92520:6.JPG]

And it wouldn't be complete without period correct large string ferrules;

[attachment=92521:7.JPG]

Looks the part, even on close inspection.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1320359837' post='1425985']

Thats exactly what i wanted, so I assembled my own.

Bought a Sting and a '51 reissue bass, swapped necks, sold the one i didnt want, and made this;

This is the sting body, with the swapped neck;

[attachment=92515:1.jpg]

Here's the finished body relic'd'

[attachment=92516:2.JPG]

New decal over the finish;

[attachment=92517:3.JPG]

Some pics of the 'fake' checking;

[attachment=92518:4.JPG]
[attachment=92519:5.JPG]
[attachment=92520:6.JPG]

And it wouldn't be complete without period correct large string ferrules;

[attachment=92521:7.JPG]

Looks the part, even on close inspection.
[/quote]

I want this bass...

Rick...please, hahah.

I loved mine but it got sidelined when I started playing vintage gear. It was probably the best modern reissue I've owned. Very chunky neck and I know some feel they need the contours you get from '54 onwards but I liked mine. Sold now and someone got an awesome bass. Don't think I'd buy again as my GAS days have been behind me for a while now

I would love to one of these '51 Precisions and have it repainted in Olympic White to match my Precision but coated in Nitro so it gets naturally reliced quickly. Anyone got any ideas how much something like that could cost and know of anywhere that can do this sort of thing?

I had a Precision refinished in Arctic White, and nitroed, by TJC Guitars, in Stevenage. This was Aug 2010, and he charged £150 - I think it`s a little more now (about £180), as KiOgon was also enquiring about this a while ago. But, most places charge about £300, so even with travel costs, it`s a good deal.

http://www.tjcguitars.com/

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1320411689' post='1426499']
Mike Dirnt sig bass anyone? Love the 50's look of these, just worried about the versatility compared to a standard P....bit too 'punk' if I get a big playing funk or something!
[/quote]
The MD should be just as versatile as a standard P due to the split pickup. It's only really the control plate, pickguard and headstock that give it the '50s' look. I like this config and am accumulating some bits and bobs for a project...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1320409954' post='1426451']
I had a Precision refinished in Arctic White, and nitroed, by TJC Guitars, in Stevenage. This was Aug 2010, and he charged £150 - I think it`s a little more now (about £180), as KiOgon was also enquiring about this a while ago. But, most places charge about £300, so even with travel costs, it`s a good deal.

[url="http://www.tjcguitars.com/"]http://www.tjcguitars.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz, that sounds great.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1320423597' post='1426760']

Got one. Sound feck all like Dirnt. Nothing Punk about it just a good P. Not too far away from one of the Road Worns I got try in tone. I think his "Tone" comes from the amp setting rather than the bass.

And no daft Signature anywhere just a wee star on the easily changed neck plate :)
[/quote]

Yes, I had one of those, and they are fine basses. The Custom Shop 59 pickup in them is also very good. Agree about the tone thing too - the MD sounds like what it is - a very good Precision.

Woo, if they're back in the line up, i can get my mits on one!

I always preferred the 2 colour Sunburst versions. 2 Big Chrome Covers, thumb rest, Flatwounds...And some pickup upgrade!

I've got a loan of a Butterschotch 51 for a New Years gig, see how it sounds in the band setting.

I contacted my local music shop the other day just to see if it is possible to get these and they think they can but will confirm price and delivery tomorrow. So I will let you know if they are actually available.

Edited by Linus27