Why become a member? ×

Sissy & The Blisters - AVOID

Dubs

Played a gig with this band last week. During their set the lead singer climbed up on our guitarists Marshal stack (which was left behind their backline after our set), went to jump off but fell over kicking the head off at the same time - it hit the stage floor hard - he fell to the floor in a pathetic heap and they carried on with their set. At the end of their set they were chucking pints of water around on stage with exposed live sockets everywhere.

They walked off stage so we went on to check the amp - luckily it was ok. They hid backstage for about 15 minutes then came out to get their guitars and walked off without saying a word. When confronted, the lead singer was kind of apologetic but seemed preoccupied tripping his nuts off on something. Their guitarist had more of a 'f*** you' attitude and said that the amp shouldn't have been on stage anyway... :)

They're generally just a bunch of cnuts with little regard for other peoples gear. The promoters of the night have lodged a formal complaint with their national booking agent and have spread the word around here.

Avoid.

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1319135310' post='1410476']
Played a gig with this band last week. During their set the lead singer climbed up on our guitarists Marshal stack (which was left behind their backline after our set), went to jump off but fell over kicking the head off at the same time - it hit the stage floor hard - he fell to the floor in a pathetic heap and they carried on with their set. At the end of their set they were chucking pints of water around on stage with exposed live sockets everywhere.

They walked off stage so we went on to check the amp - luckily it was ok. They hid backstage for about 15 minutes then came out to get their guitars and walked off without saying a word. When confronted, the lead singer was kind of apologetic but seemed preoccupied tripping his nuts off on something. Their guitarist had more of a 'f*** you' attitude and said that the amp shouldn't have been on stage anyway... :)

They're generally just a bunch of cnuts with little regard for other peoples gear. The promoters of the night have lodged a formal complaint with their national booking agent and have spread the word around here.

Avoid.
[/quote]
Er....I'm waiting for the bit where you say you punched the skinny pricks lights out?

I'll be honest, I didn't actually listen to it when I posted it, I simply searched youtube for a clip of them just so people would recognise them (seems to be wrong name on drum kit, maybe I should have picked another clip!). The tambourine thing was just a bit of a bonus. Now actually hearing it I have to say they weren't nearly as good as I was expecting just watching silent footage.

Well I really liked that. I also can't see what is wrong with their legs. They appear to be correctly proportioned to their bodies.

As part of a band who have an "energetic" on-stage presence there are two sides to every story. We're always respectful of any gear (amps, drums) that we are borrowing at a multi-band gig. However I am always staggered by the number of people who also think it's perfectly OK to clog up the stage with pedal boards and teetering racks of keyboards while they're not actually playing. If while we're setting up to play I spot some gear that's not particularly well positioned, I'll go an find the owner and offer to give them a hand moving it to somewhere safer. If that doesn't work I'll point out that we do tend to move around a bit and while we'll do our best to avoid their gear we can't actually promise anything. That normally does the trick.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1319202380' post='1411225']
I hate to say it and - yes they do look like bellends and the performance is totally OTT- but I think they have something.
[/quote]

yes they have something and lets hope its not catching because theres already too many sh1te indie bands around

Hey, I wanted to hate this lot because of the twattery they caused, but I really liked the vid. I'm going to be contentious here and ask why your guitarist didn't clear his head from the stage? What does a Marshall head cost? A grand? A bet he wouldn't leave a £1k Les Paul up there, so why £1k head?

The singer seemed to be very much 'in the moment' as actors would put it, and his reality and spacial awareness would be very different to anyone watching. When you say the singer was kind of apologetic, I should imagine he would be mortified if he'd broken your gear, and this shows in his embarrassment. When the guitarist was more challenging about your gear not being on stage in the first place, maybe he was right. When you were on stage, it was your space. When they were on stage it was their space.

Don't want to have a row here, I know no one likes to have gear abused. Just want to offer an alternate opinion. The lesson I would take from this is not to leave anything valuable on stage when someone else is in command of that area.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319222000' post='1411593']
Well I really liked that. I also can't see what is wrong with their legs. They appear to be correctly proportioned to their bodies.

As part of a band who have an "energetic" on-stage presence there are two sides to every story.
[/quote]

In all fairness, having seen your band (and bought the T-shirt), the difference is that you are a really good band. I look forward to seeing you again.

The bunch being slated on this thread are, IMHO, absolutely unwatchable. Not only a triumph of style over content, but I thought the style was really crap too. :)

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1319227059' post='1411668']
It's commonplace for a headline band to have their gear onstage whilst the support sets up theirs infront. It's easy to play a set without damaging the other bands equipment.
[/quote]

100% correct. I've never seen anyone trash any of my gear if they've been supporting my band or vice versa. These guys are quite evidently, pricks. I will try and avoid.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319235108' post='1411822']
In all fairness, having seen your band (and bought the T-shirt), the difference is that you are a really good band. I look forward to seeing you again.

The bunch being slated on this thread are, IMHO, absolutely unwatchable. Not only a triumph of style over content, but I thought the style was really crap too. :)
[/quote]
All of which illustrates the point that music is entirely subjective and that we all have different tastes - and a good thing it is too!

Having said that, while I enjoyed the music, I found their on-stage presence rather dull in the posted video. The music reminds me of the bands I went to see in the late 70s early 80s, but at that time the performers would have been far more dramatic in their appearance - this lot just look like any other bunch of mainstream fashion 20 year olds. Nothing particularly special and certainly no style to be visible over substance.