Why become a member? ×

Sissy & The Blisters - AVOID

Dubs

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1319226270' post='1411652']
Hey, I wanted to hate this lot because of the twattery they caused, but I really liked the vid. I'm going to be contentious here and ask why your guitarist didn't clear his head from the stage? What does a Marshall head cost? A grand? A bet he wouldn't leave a £1k Les Paul up there, so why £1k head?

[u][b]The singer seemed to be very much 'in the moment' as actors would put it, and his reality and spacial awareness would be very different to anyone watching[/b][/u]. When you say the singer was kind of apologetic, I should imagine he would be mortified if he'd broken your gear, and this shows in his embarrassment. When the guitarist was more challenging about your gear not being on stage in the first place, maybe he was right. When you were on stage, it was your space. When they were on stage it was their space.

Don't want to have a row here, I know no one likes to have gear abused. Just want to offer an alternate opinion. The lesson I would take from this is not to leave anything valuable on stage when someone else is in command of that area.
[/quote]

Were you there? Genuine question.

I understand your point, but the actions of the band caused the promoters of the night to lodge a formal complaint with their national booking agent - in 7 years of promoting events this was the first time where they felt the need to make a formal complaint against a touring band. We didn't ask them to do this. The bands actions were dangerous and callous.

This was a small venue with limited backstage storage - if you're a gigging musician you'll have come across many similar small pub venues. The amp was out of the way at the back of the stage - change over time was limited and they wanted to get on. It was out of the way and there was no reason to go anywhere near it. There was no justification for their treatment of the amp.

It's pretty weird to hear another musician implying contributory negligence on the side of my guitarist for leaving his amp on the stage in this case; as if this goes beyond what is routine practise for gigs like this in venues like this.

I should just make clear, as I've realised that I've not mentioned it before (but I thought it may have read as such), that when I say my guitarists 'amp', I mean his 4x12 cab + head. Just in case it's not clear, the lead singer of Sissy & The Blisters climbed up on top of a 4x12 cab with a head on it, that he didn't own, then fell off it kicking the head off at the same time.

I agree with BottomE - you should always respect your fellow musicians gear and there are no excuses for the way these baw bags acted. Furthermore, Dubs is a gentleman for not breaking the singers nose (unfortunately that's what I would have done as I am Scottish and therefore thuggish in my approach to these things). Luckily the amp survived but regardless of this the baw heed should never have got on top of it in the first place! Especially considering the fact he has wonky legs and a fringe that obstructs his vision - what did he think would happen!?

Hopefully I'll never rub shoulders with them but if I do I'll make sure to do a handstand on the guitarists vox (kidding! :) ) . . .

Edited by Kelso

[quote name='munkonthehill' timestamp='1319280020' post='1412144']
hahaha they are pish. ANYONE damaged my gear they would have some serious issues.

Regardless if my gear was on stage, regardless if it was in a place where it shouldnt be.
[/quote]
So if another band on the bill came up to you and asked if they could move some of your gear that was on stage either off stage or to another part of the stage because in it's current location it was a risk, would you?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319280354' post='1412150']
So if another band on the bill came up to you and asked if they could move some of your gear that was on stage either off stage or to another part of the stage because in it's current location it was a risk, would you?
[/quote]

if they asked first then thats cool as it would be my fault. However, as the OP states, they didnt have that courtesy.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319280354' post='1412150']
[/quote]

I think that's fair and in the past (when I was part of a 4 piece energetic rock outfit) I have asked bands to move gear (usually keyboards) off stage or to the back of the stage if I felt it would hinder our performance or it was at risk. However, even in the band refused to do so I still wouldn't disrespect their gear - I'd just think they were pricks and would tell them so. . .

Edited by Kelso

Even if the stack was completely blocking my way in a corridor I would rather move it carefully or find an alternative route around it rather than clamber over the top of it. There is absolutely zero excuse for the kind of shenanigans highlighted, namely using other people's stuff as a lauchpad for on stage stupidity (sorry, I meant hyper cool flagrant disregard for equipment or personal safety of both perpetrator and those nearby) and throwing water around on stage.