Why become a member? ×

Weight!!

Hutton

I don't have any axe to grind here but I have become interested in the whole "how heavy is your bass issue". Let me say straightaway that I can completely understand if someone has a shoulder problem then they will need to think very carefully about how heavy their bass is. However, I wonder if this weight thing is a current issue. I don't recall weight being such a large problem in the past as it is now. Basses/Guitars were just bought and played, end of story. Undoubtedly there were times when basses did weigh a lot e.g. late 70s Fenders - however that doesn't seem to put people off these basses with instruments commanding high prices.

Perhaps we should ask how well does your bass balance? If the bass balances well on the strap then it should feel comfy enough to play a whole set without pain. Alternatively, we could make sure that we spend the money on a good quality strap for basses like the [i]Comfort Strapp. [/i]It also seems too obvious to say that we should use straps suitable for basses and not guitar straps.

I just raise the issue to see what others think as there is more to comfortable bass playing than just weight. Heavy doesn't necessarily mean uncomfortable.

Deja Vu...I was tempted not to reply as this has been done to death here before but I'm having a boring day at work!

I have previously had neck/shoulder issues and heavy basses make this much worse. Even worse is that assuming the weight is in a range I find tolerable, the next question is does it balance well? A 7lb bass with a balsa body and an ebony slab board with vintage tuners is going to be annoying to say the least.

Sure, I think some people jump on a "light" bass bandwagon. But thats their choice and it seriously restricts your options. Personally I'd love a tobacco burst late 70's P with that awesome ash grain, but I'd be turning my head like batman after playing it for an hour.

Have sympathy on those of us that are stuck with having to constantly ask what a bass weighs. In the meantime, enjoy your massive choice of any-weight-you-like-basses :)

First off; I have a dodgy shoulder so I am one of the first to ask the weight of a bass (9lb+ and my shoulder is shot after a gig). However, in answer to the non-specific question of whether the weight issue is a modern thing... 20+ years ago there was no bass forum on which people discussed/sold/bought basses! I believe it really is that simple; media/communication.

20+ years ago you may have read about the weight of a bass in a magazine and were you the sort who had a dicky back/shoulder/knee/whatever, you'd have given said bass a wide berth and yes I do recall discussing the weight of 70's Fenders with friends, especially as I had a Fender weighing 12lb which likely as not contributed to my knackered shoulder! :)

I think the phenomenon is more down to the consumer demanding a greater choice* and how little physically discomfort people are willing to put up with these days. I have had issues with a sore back/neck ever since I started playing guitar/bass over 25 years ago... but I'm not a complainer and certainly when I'm on stage with the adrenalin etc I feel no pain at all... until the next day that is. :)

*some say the the concept of "consumerist choice" is what is tearing the fabric of our society apart... but that's a convo for another day. :)

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1318174941' post='1398820']
Deja Vu...I was tempted not to reply as this has been done to death here before but I'm having a boring day at work![/quote]

Many apologies everyone. I didn't realise that this issue has been 'done to death'. Perhaps a moderator would delete or close the thread.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1318175955' post='1398836']

Many apologies everyone. I didn't realise that this issue has been 'done to death'. Perhaps a moderator would delete or close the thread.[/quote]
Please don't read anything into my tone - it's been a bad day at work :)

Carry on...

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1318175210' post='1398825']
First off; I have a dodgy shoulder so I am one of the first to ask the weight of a bass (9lb+ and my shoulder is shot after a gig). However, in answer to the non-specific question of whether the weight issue is a modern thing... 20+ years ago there was no bass forum on which people discussed/sold/bought basses! I believe it really is that simple; media/communication.

20+ years ago you may have read about the weight of a bass in a magazine and were you the sort who had a dicky back/shoulder/knee/whatever, you'd have given said bass a wide berth and yes I do recall discussing the weight of 70's Fenders with friends, especially as I had a Fender weighing 12lb which likely as not contributed to my knackered shoulder! :)
[/quote]

This.

FWIW, I've read that Jaco complained about the weight of his Jazzes. One of the reasons Macca switched back to his Hofner was the light weight. I know of several name guitarists who also have Les Paul-related back problems (but who continue to play them), it's just not usually general knowledge.

Also, speaking from personal experience, it doesn't matter how well a bass balances if you got lumbar, thoracic or cervical disc problems and the bass is too heavy. It ain't fun when everything from the waist down goes numb.

And yes, this has been done to death, but I guess obviously still needs doing a bit more; about 20 more minutes either side should do. :)

My latest Precision is 10lbs in weight, some 1.5lbs heavier than my others, but it is very well balanced, so even though I have an upper back/shoulder problem, it hasn`t affected it too much, other than causing me to raise the strap height a bit. This I found strange, as my lighter Precisions I find more comfortable for my back slung lower. But, always go with what works best.

While there appears to be some of our number with back/shoulder problems it seems to be the first question to any bass (especially Fender) going up for sale. I wonder if things have got so far as a 10lb Precision is now seen as a bad one and an 8lb a good one so that our 'knowledgable' cousins pooh-pooh those with a heavier body regardless of their own physical condition.

For me, I'm blessed with a good back etc, and while I'd admit a long rehearsal with my ol' Jaydee would give a sore shoulder the next day its not an issue for me. My 70s Fender is not the lightest on my basses but it plays as one of my best.

The right strap makes a difference. I think relaxing and proper posture when playing helps. I am still quite uptight when I play, but it's getting better. I played my G&L at a gig a while back and while it's not my heaviest bass I was using a non-padded strap and my shoulder hurt quite badly after the gig, compounded with the problem that I was too uptight when I played.

Weight and balance are far more important than neck profile, which people often obsess over. Balance is just as important as weight though. I've had 'heavy' basses that balance well and don't strain your body and I've played lighter basses that balance poorly and feel uncomfortable as soon as you put them on!

Weight was a non-issue right up until I got a back problem, then it became one of the most important things for me to consider. Like everything else that having a back problem affects - if you don't have a problem you don't get what the fuss is about. I never did. Now I do. Even slip on shoes rather than lace up :) I remember when I was selling a bass on here a couple of years ago, before I buggered my back this last time, and someone asked me how much it weighed 'exactly'. I thought they were being pedantic but only now realise how important it is. I have a 9lb Fender bass that is my most comfortable, best tone etc BUT for long rehearsals I go for a lighter weight bass every single time because playing a 7lb bass for 4 hrs rather than a 9lb bass makes a significant difference to how my back feels immediately afterwards and, particularly, the following morning.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1318203258' post='1399257']
Weight and balance are far more important than neck profile, which people often obsess over. Balance is just as important as weight though. I've had 'heavy' basses that balance well and don't strain your body and I've played lighter basses that balance poorly and feel uncomfortable as soon as you put them on!
[/quote]

+1, neck dive is, for me, the result of a badly designed/built guitar and makes it a pain to play. More likely to occur in basses with lightweight bodies in my experience.

I'd like to know if there's any science in the resonances of lightweight bodies compared to the heavier ones (I'm sure 1/2lb here or there will be of no consequence but certainly a hollow body does).

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1318242728' post='1399508']
A small point is that for a full pub gig - the gig has got longer!
I started off doing 2 x 45 min sets with a couple of encores, now 2 x 1hr with 3-4 encores is more common.
[/quote]

That's because you're getting better at it!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1318202746' post='1399252']
I have (amongst a few others :)) an ESP 6 string that weighs just under 15lbs (about 7kg).
It's saving grace... it has near perfect balance and allows me to travel the entire length of the neck without shifting it's position.
[/quote]

WOW !

I thought my Calibas was heavy at 6kg.

It too has near perfect balance, and so the weight doesn't really bother me much. I did an hours practice/warm up last Saturday morning, then a 2 hour jazz gig on the lunchtime. Then another couple of hours practice in the afternoon followed by another 2 hour gig on the evening.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1318174135' post='1398807']
However, I wonder if this weight thing is a current issue. I don't recall weight being such a large problem in the past as it is now. Basses/Guitars were just bought and played, end of story. Undoubtedly there were times when basses did weigh a lot e.g. late 70s Fenders - however that doesn't seem to put people off these basses with instruments commanding high prices.
[/quote]

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

The same people who cheerfully slung 12lb boat anchors around their necks back in the day were also smoking 40 Marlboro a day, taking three sugars in their tea, and swallowing various pills of dubious origin in hopes of improving their outlook.

They don't do those things now, either. They've learned better, in the main.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319548984' post='1415567']

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

The same people who cheerfully slung 12lb boat anchors around their necks back in the day were also smoking 40 Marlboro a day, taking three sugars in their tea, and swallowing various pills of dubious origin in hopes of improving their outlook.

They don't do those things now, either. They've learned better, in the main.
[/quote]
Hahahaha!