Why become a member? ×

Weight!!

Hutton

I have no idea about the weight of my basses and didn't ask about it when looking to buy.
I have some history of back problems but I manage it.

My cabs etc aren't stupid heavy either, 60 odd lbs, but I try and do things correctly.
I only play for 2 hrs max 95% of the time but that wasn't a concerted decison with the back in mind.

I guess it isn't factor, but then again, I guess my basses don't weight 13lb.

I like the idea of basses being a substantial piece of wood but just about the only bass that I thought was heavy at the time, was a Wal.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319548984' post='1415567']

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

The same people who cheerfully slung 12lb boat anchors around their necks back in the day were also smoking 40 Marlboro a day, taking three sugars in their tea, and swallowing various pills of dubious origin in hopes of improving their outlook.

They don't do those things now, either. They've learned better, in the main.
[/quote]

That's exactly right, 20 years ago I wouldn't give a toss about weight but as we get older, 25 years of being a motor mechanic takes its toll on your back & shoulders. I have big issues with it now :)

For me it wasn't an cumulative thing but a single life-style changing event. After spending most of my adult life being fit and pushing heavy weights at the gym it came as a shock - one minute my back was fine, the next I injured it, went into spasm and, although much improved, haven't been the same since. I am sure a lot of people can tell similar stories. My initial thoughts were that anything I was able to do bass gear-wise would end up being a compromise - I never thought that lightweight basses, amps and cabs could deliver the kind of sounds I was used to but the reality is far from that and I am slowly edging my kit towards Nirvana.

Since I went back to serious playing (rehearsals every week, gigs as much as poss, etc) I've been borderline-obsessed with the weight of all my kit. I've slimmed down to the rig below, which weighs in total probably 50lbs, and I look very carefully at ways to lighten my basses, or I look for lighter ones. I've just sold my boat-anchor 78 Jazz (a sniff under 12lbs) because I simply couldn't use it for more than a half an hour, and anything over 9lbs is looked at very carefully these days - a good example is from another thread I posted here: I've replaced my tuners on the Fenderbird with Gotoh Ultralights, and they are a fantastic upgrade for any bass. I'm not suscepible to the juju that is 'heavier is better tone' or any of the related nonsense, a good bass is a good bass, it doesn't have to be heavy.