Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

My all time classic was in the original band I was with a long time. At what turned out to be our final rehearsal (and our rehearsals were few and far between) one member says we need to find a better way to rehearse and another says he doesn't see the point in releasing records. We split up very shortly after that.

[quote name='jnoinkeis' timestamp='1329834379' post='1548119']
"My Dad wants to be our manager"
[/quote]
When I was a 16 I was in a band that seemed to have either less members or different members every week, I never knew who I was going to see when turning up for rehearsals. One week I turned up and the only other person that turned up was a drummer I'd never met before. After standing around for a while not knowing what to say and having a stab at a few tunes (because there were no mobile phones back then so I had to wait until my Mum came to pick me up at the usual time) this drummer's Dad turned up and declared himself the band's manager and that from now on we shall rehearse in his garage. He had this whole, huge, future planned out for us. I never saw either of them again.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1330130641' post='1553312']
When I was a 16 I was in a band that seemed to have either less members or different members every week, I never knew who I was going to see when turning up for rehearsals. One week I turned up and the only other person that turned up was a drummer I'd never met before. After standing around for a while not knowing what to say and having a stab at a few tunes (because there were no mobile phones back then so I had to wait until my Mum came to pick me up at the usual time) this drummer's Dad turned up and declared himself the band's manager and that from now on we shall rehearse in his garage. He had this whole, huge, future planned out for us. I never saw either of them again.
[/quote]

Brilliant! When I was a similar age two of the Dad's of the band decided to be our managers. They couldn't have had less of a clue. They once told us we should remove the description 'loud' from one of our posters as it "might put some people off".

The reason I play Bass is because my Dad fancied managing a band consisting of my brothers and me. He told me one day, when I was 12, that I was getting a Drumkit for Christmas. I was gutted because I desperately wanted a Tamiya Lunchbox Radio Controlled Monster Truck (I still do...). Anyway, I was a huge Iron Maiden and Motorhead fan, so Bass was quite a prominent instrument in the music I listened to. Also, I knew some Drummers, Guitarists and Singers and not a single Bass player, so I figured that if I played Bass I'd always be able to find a band to play in. And I sure wasn't going to do what [i]he[/i] wanted! So, when I suggested Bass to him he was pleasantly surprised, one reason being that I don't think he'd even considered the Bass when he was dolling out positions to my brothers and me. He lost interest when he realized that my brother and I weren't going to play anything that wasn't metal and our two other brothers wouldn't play metal.
In the end I'm the only one that still plays. My metal brother had real promise and could have been brilliant, he was a natural, but mental illness and Heroin rather got in the way. Such a shame.

Our ex-ex-drummer told us that he was leaving the band because he was moving out of the city to live with his lass, which was fair enough so we wished him all the best and waved him off. And then got an email a couple of weeks later...

"I had a dream last night, and think it might just work... if you guys pay for my petrol I could drive back and still come to rehearsals. I probably couldn't do gigs, though. Let me know what you think!"

Needless to say we messaged back to say we had dreams of our own, and they included the ability to do more than rehearse.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1330336528' post='1555713']
....if you guys pay for my petrol I could drive back and still come to rehearsals. I probably couldn't do gigs, though....
[/quote]

I briefly played with a drummer who wanted to dep out the rehearsals and just do the gigs!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a phone call from a guy I used to play with who has formed a new band (I'd previously declined to join for a number of reasons, but mainly because this guy is a knob)
"Hi, we still don't have a new bass player, but want to record a demo. Would you be able to learn these four songs then come and record with us? Don't worry about your share of the recording costs - we'll cover that"

A conversation betwixt myself and my ex-band mates:

[i]Me: I actually don't mind hard auto tune if used creatively and as a vocal effect.[/i]

[i]Band: You mean like that Cher song?[/i]

[i]Me: Cher? Is that the best you can do? A 14 year old Cher song? Have you not heard of Kanye West, Daft Punk, Black Eyed Peas, T-Pain?[/i]

Cue five very blank faces.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1331116966' post='1567769']
Previous band.

"You have betrayed me. You've all stabbed me in the back and raped my music. I dislike you all intensely........I will still do any paying gigs you want me too though"
[/quote]

That's not musical rape then they were begging for it :lol: Infact they're a music whore

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1331115685' post='1567743']
A conversation betwixt myself and my ex-band mates:

[i]Me: I actually don't mind hard auto tune if used creatively and as a vocal effect.[/i]

[i]Band: You mean like that Cher song?[/i]

[i]Me: Cher? Is that the best you can do? A 14 year old Cher song? Have you not heard of Kanye West, Daft Punk, Black Eyed Peas, T-Pain?[/i]

Cue five very blank faces.
[/quote]

make that 6 blank faces :mellow:

My drummer mate rang me before to say he'd found a guitarist, I asked him if he had any recordings to show us and he hung up to go and find out. Ten minutes later I got a text off the guitarist saying:
"I'll do me best to do 1 but it's probz gunna be at the weekend, im working till like 5 everydai this week so I'm gunna be shattered man."
Fair enough, five pm is ridiculously late after all...
Then I asked him what amp he was using, he said: "its a little one i got in the box with my guitar"
Why tell someone you're looking for a band if you've got no interest in putting time aside to practise, and no appropriate equipment?

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1331134254' post='1568205']
My drummer mate rang me before to say he'd found a guitarist, I asked him if he had any recordings to show us and he hung up to go and find out. Ten minutes later I got a text off the guitarist saying:
"I'll do me best to do 1 but it's probz gunna be at the weekend, im working till like 5 everydai this week so I'm gunna be shattered man."
Fair enough, five pm is ridiculously late after all...
Then I asked him what amp he was using, he said: "its a little one i got in the box with my guitar"
Why tell someone you're looking for a band if you've got no interest in putting time aside to practise, and no appropriate equipment?
[/quote]

A singer friend of mine and I decided to try form a band, rather than him singing and myself on guitar alone. So I'd play bass, we put an ad for a guitarist first. We explain quite clearly we were intending to be a gigging band within 2-3 months with our material.
This guy answers, sounds ok, and he comes over to meet us.

He had been playing for... 3 weeks.
he could barely play three chords...

it was... interesting.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331136295' post='1568264']

When we started most of the stuff was borrowed or starter kit.

[/quote]

This guy says he's been playing for four years though, and says he's been in a band before :lol:

Edited by Jack Cahalane

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331137277' post='1568291']
Thats different we had a band before instruments :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

me too!

I played drums. My kit was made from a plastic bucket, cardboard cilinders, with tape to protect the "skins" from my sticks (cardboard alone breaks too quickly), three metal plates of various sizes that were original part of a fruit holder, the underside of my little sister's cot (metal strips and springs, sounded great and reverby :lol:) and a real cymbal I managed to buy at the local flea market for nearly nothing as it was bent.

One friend of mine played electric guitar (not an Affinity Squier, those did not exist yet, Squiers are actually decent... he had some horrible made in Japan or somewhere else unplayable thing, the brand name was Arirang), and another played a Spanish guitar. That was our band. The "Maderos Light" we called ourselves.

We were 16. We did not let instruments (or talent) get in the way of us being in a band :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1331138591' post='1568319']

me too!

I played drums. My kit was made from a plastic bucket, cardboard cilinders, with tape to protect the "skins" from my sticks (cardboard alone breaks too quickly), three metal plates of various sizes that were original part of a fruit holder, the underside of my little sister's cot (metal strips and springs, sounded great and reverby :lol:) and a real cymbal I managed to buy at the local flea market for nearly nothing as it was bent.

One friend of mine played electric guitar (not an Affinity Squier, those did not exist yet, Squiers are actually decent... he had some horrible made in Japan or somewhere else unplayable thing, the brand name was Arirang), and another played a Spanish guitar. That was our band. The "Maderos Light" we called ourselves.

We were 16. We did not let instruments (or talent) get in the way of us being in a band :lol:
[/quote]

Who needs instruments!

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1327265331' post='1508640']
The depressing thing my bandmates say is:
'We don't exist.'
[/quote]
OK, now I have a band.
The most depressing thing they say is that [i]the band's gonna be great[/i] and they [i]trust in[/i] me and they [i]know I'm gonna make it[/i], while I'm totally overwhelmed by reponsibility and - having some serious personal problems and being awefully tired - I'm completely unable to learn the covers they do right now, especially due to the fact they're quite sophisticated for my skill - Who's, Floyd's, Zep's etc. I don't believe I'll fulfill my role as a bass player in their band.

"Yeah, my kick pedal was just slipping around", when the frummer was asked if he knew the bridge part.

Really? So that's why you stopped playing entirely? Nice one.

This is starting to seem like one of those situations where it's better to just try someone else than try to improve what we have. Happens almost every week. Hell, our first drummer stepped in for a gig a few months after he had left (due to his replacement being kicked out), having only had one practice to get back into the swing of things, then on the night had eight pints and three spliffs, and didn't miss a beat. I think there was only one thing he did wrong, and given the part he made it in, it sounded like part of the song anyway.

I had a 200 mile round trip for rehearsals with my last band, which I did without complaint for four years. Things weren't going well though, poor communication and a bit of tension as a result, so we had a meeting after rehearsals one day, got a few things off our chest (surreal comments aired like "I don't really like local Metal bands, I wouldn't go and see any of these bands if I wasn't in this band" - [i]what are you doing in a local Metal band then?[/i]) but I drove away thinking maybe we had a future after all and was looking forward to our gig the next day, which was a festival in Limerick - a 90 minute drive for me and a two hour drive for the rest of the lads.

By the time I got home, two hours later, I had received a text message:

"I don't fancy doing this gig tomorrow. Too much pain for too little gain"

That was the moment I decided to quit.