Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

From last night, rehearsing a work-in-progress original. Much confusion over the sequence of sections (instrumental chorus, "the bit where it goes to D", etc etc). After the third attempt where all five us seem to think something different is supposed to happen, I suggest that we get a piece of paper and write it down.

The guitarist says, "Don't write it down... I won't read it."

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1323861770' post='1467824']
From last night, rehearsing a work-in-progress original. Much confusion over the sequence of sections (instrumental chorus, "the bit where it goes to D", etc etc). After the third attempt where all five us seem to think something different is supposed to happen, I suggest that we get a piece of paper and write it down.

[/quote]

GGGRRRRR I would of had to say something scarcastic after that like "I will only use small words so you can understand"

[/quote]

Hehe. i remember a mate of mine who asked me what i got for Christmas. I mentioned a book and he looked truly horrified. I said "whats up" and with real meaning he said "fu*k reading"! and he meant it.

I am getting a lot of "it'll be alright on the night" or "it'll eventually sound good" when we are getting new material together. The keyboard player learns the tunes chordally but not rhythmically. When i suggest that the timing is wrong he replies with "it'll be alright on the night" - but its not. Its the same.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1323862562' post='1467833']
I am getting a lot of "it'll be alright on the night" or "it'll eventually sound good" when we are getting new material together. The keyboard player learns the tunes chordally but not rhythmically. When i suggest that the timing is wrong he replies with "it'll be alright on the night" - but its not. Its the same.[/quote]

One band member would often say "I'll play it right at the gig". Glad you're confident because I'm not.

This band member also told me she didn't practice at all outside of band rehearsals. She's also the one who eventually called me a 'bully' and said "I'm not going to be made to feel bad for making a mistake - everybody makes mistakes", to which I replied "Not everybody makes the same mistakes for a year". Shortly before I left the band.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1323869739' post='1467992']
One band member would often say "I'll play it right at the gig". Glad you're confident because I'm not.

This band member also told me she didn't practice at all outside of band rehearsals. She's also the one who eventually called me a 'bully' and said "I'm not going to be made to feel bad for making a mistake - everybody makes mistakes", to which I replied "Not everybody makes the same mistakes for a year". Shortly before I left the band.
[/quote]

:)

[/quote]

Reminds me of a useless actress I once worked with, who mocked another (good) actor with the words:
'Roy's so funny with his little pencil. He writes down everything the director tells him to do'. Well, duh! :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1323869739' post='1467992']

[/quote]

What is it with these people? They always cite time as an excuse for not doing stuff but manage to find time to turn up for well paid gigs. I looked over the other day at him playing during one of the songs. It was amazing. He was playing a huge chord, about 9 notes taking his time doing it and it didn't do a jot for the song. Nothing. It just added a layer of noise and distorted any possible funkiness that could have been happening.

Our drummer is a PITA his classic lines are:

"We were brilliant tonight so we need to double our fee when they rebook us"

"I'm not doing an encore unless the pub pay extra for it"

"if we're playing more than three gigs a month next year then I'm gonna want march and October off"

"Oh wow, I had a mad week, was in the pub for most of it with visiting relatives.Still a bit pissed now hahaha..
Gig? What gig?
Oh, you were serious when you told me there was a gig this Sat?
The CD?
Well, I haven`t listened to any of it.
Not actually sure where it is..
Do you want to get on with it then, I have to go in an hour to see my family off at the airport.
Why have you gone all red?"

True event two weeks ago.

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1323880959' post='1468202']
From last Sunday's rehearsal

Drummer - " I'm broke so I can't pay my fiver towards the rehearsal room "

Keyboardist - " Neither can I, I'm broke too "
[/quote]

Seriously, how hard is it to get £5 together? Thats, what, the cost a McDonalds? A pint and a half at the pub? Good grief.

Me: Perhaps you could try singing the song in the same key but an octave lower than the original, as you seem to be struggling on the odd note? [i] (trying to be as polite as possible at a rehearsal where the singer's face and neck were bright red due to the strain of trying, and failing, to sing the main vocal in tune).[/i]

Singer: Yeah, but I just don't think I'd be doing the song justice if I did that.

Me: Hang on, you think you would be doing the song more justice by singing it out of tune than by singing it in tune an octave lower?

Singer: Yeah.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1323890245' post='1468435']
Seriously, how hard is it to get £5 together? Thats, what, the cost a McDonalds? A pint and a half at the pub? Good grief.
[/quote]

If they were really serious they be on the Town Hall steps, flogging their arses to get that fiver!

Commitmant PAH! They dont know the meaning of the word.

ps: how much do arses go for these days ? Im a little out of touch.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1323925401' post='1468730']
If they were really serious they be on the Town Hall steps, flogging their arses to get that fiver!

Commitmant PAH! They dont know the meaning of the word.

ps: how much do arses go for these days ? Im a little out of touch.
[/quote]

That's pretty much how I feel about it. It was my third rehearsal with a new band and I'm starting to understand how a couple of the other members run their lives.

And guess which mug paid extra to cover for them?

On the verge of a major record deal/publishing deal - realising that the guitard had no concept of what an advance was...he had (no joke) assumed that ALL the money from the advance would be split 5 ways & we'd each get a huge cheque to do whatever we wanted with. Me: "So you've basically promised your wife a new kitchen and a new car then?" Guitard: "Errr...yeah, something like that."
The look on his face when I explained what would actually happen with the advance & the fact that he'd have to survive on a very small weekly wage (i.e. much less than he was currently earning) was priceless. The best bit was imagining how he would explain it all to his wife & family - who he'd obviously told were all on the verge of getting a big share of an instant lottery win style 'payout' when he became a rock star.
:)

RE: Fivers.
Do you actually know for sure that they're "running their lives" badly? Because if you're actually broke even getting a fiver together is bloody difficult.

RE: Advances.
It's not actually that unreasonable an assumption. Until, ooh, about 30 seconds ago, it's pretty much how I thought advances worked. [Stupid petty comment removed]

Edited by mrdreadful

Bad day, mr dread?

There are many very naive people about who make assumptions without checking the details. IMO, only a fool would tell their wife they are getting loads of cash to spend from record company advance before knowing the facts. An advance is basically a loan, an investment. It's not for a f***ing kitchen :)

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1323949944' post='1468981']
Well yes, better to ask a question and be a fool for a minute than not ask and be a fool for a lifetime and all that.

Not really a bad day, I just believe that education need not come with a side order of mockery.
[/quote]

He wasn't mocking, he was straight up.