Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318337040' post='1400726']
Yeah. Does the person who didn't learn the tunes have children? Or a job that necessitates working lots of overtime? Or a sick relative? Or a sleep disorder? Or any number of other possible factors? Sometimes when someone says they didn't have time to do something they actually didn't... don't assume they're just being lazy unless you have good reason to.
[/quote]
Yes but when they've told you the week before that they will learn them.....

My time is precious too but if I've said I'll learn something for the band I'll move/put aside other commitments to do ot OR just say "can't this week sorry I'm super busy/on holiday/going to Jupiter to collect ice samples or whatever.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1318338618' post='1400767']
Yes but when they've told you the week before that they will learn them.....

My time is precious too but if I've said I'll learn something for the band I'll move/put aside other commitments to do ot OR just say "can't this week sorry I'm super busy/on holiday/going to Jupiter to collect ice samples or whatever.
[/quote]

Ofcourse, and I would always do the same. However, I was just saying that it isn't always fair to assume that someone else is free as much/at the same time as you are, that's all.

Sometimes, and I get this might be a bit of a radical notion, stuff happens unexpectedly! Also, there are a lot of things that are ongoing and can't just be put aside (like having kids, for example).

As for the "preciousness" of time when you actually have enough free time anyway to do things like being in a band: First World Problems, innit?

I'm not saying people should just be allowed to flake out whenever they want, but that people should consider the reasons why they did before bitching about it, 'kay?

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318339108' post='1400788']
I'm not saying people should just be allowed to flake out whenever they want, but that people should consider the reasons why they did before bitching about it, 'kay?
[/quote]

As I'm lucky enough to have been born in the first world, and thus find myself with the leisure to have considered the reasons why my bandmates make excuses and formulate a reply from the comfort of central-heating, power, light and the connectivity of the internet, I have come to the conclusion: their excuses are sh*te.

Can I now be critical-yet-tongue-in-cheek, please?

As soon as someone inflicts their personal problems on you, time to bitch about it. A very excellent drummer I jammed with once messaged saying his daughter is ill so can't make next practice, and doesn't want to be 'that guy' so is out of the band. That's fair, annoying, but much less annoying that doing that at random intervals for the next year.

Also, see the entire history of the blues for where music sits in relation to having life difficulty.

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318339108' post='1400788']
Sometimes, and I get this might be a bit of a radical notion, stuff happens unexpectedly! Also, there are a lot of things that are ongoing and can't just be put aside (like having kids, for example).

As for the "preciousness" of time when you actually have enough free time anyway to do things like being in a band: First World Problems, innit?

[/quote]

it's all about balance. I think the beef people are have are with the offenders who constantly don't do stuff not the one off then it couldn't be helped. For me if it's paid work, the it's like a job/work.. you do it or I get someone else.

You don't put tell you boss excuses about not completing that report in the office so no different for a gig, but also for a gig that's not paid the balance and mutual respect card has to be played. For 'Hobby' style stuff communication and notice is the key. If a band member always shows the kids, too busy, ran out of time card, maybe they should find a band more fitting to their level of commitment..

Balance is always important. Also context. I may well be missing a bunch of context here, but unless someone says "this happens regularly" I'm entitled to assume it's a one off occurence! Plus I'm at work and being at work makes my internet persona a lot less tolerant of other internet users.

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318339584' post='1400793']

No. I'm not done being too serious.

:)
[/quote]

Damnation! I have guitarists to slate, sir - and I only have a small window before I'm meeting a colleague for fine, ethically-produced third-world coffee.

However, you are welcome to join us for a rehearsal (our room is very third-world) and witness first hand. I don't think my guitarist plays between rehearsals. Honestly.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1318341566' post='1400830']
I don't think my guitarist plays between rehearsals. Honestly.
[/quote]

Well of course he doesn't, he's the guitarist. His function, when off stage, is to drink booze and go on the pull and those things are very time consuming.

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1318342803' post='1400854']
Sod not having practiced and such like "I thought you were bringing the biscuits this week?" is the one that fills me with dread.
[/quote]

Fackin' 'ell!

You get biscuits?!?

Do you need a second bassist?

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318337040' post='1400726']
Yeah. Does the person who didn't learn the tunes have children? Or a job that necessitates working lots of overtime? Or a sick relative? Or a sleep disorder? Or any number of other possible factors? Sometimes when someone says they didn't have time to do something they actually didn't... don't assume they're just being lazy unless you have good reason to.
[/quote]

i think the point is that its a recurring thing with people, i sometimes have crazy weeks where i cant learn a song but when people come every week with the same excuse its just plain lazy really...

''away lads, i haven't had time for my dinner, shall we go for a pre-gig parmo?''

if you live in and around Middlesbrough and have ever had a parmo you will understand...

if you haven't, here's a picture...

as you can imagine you feel ''quite'' sluggish after one of these...

[quote name='nomis' timestamp='1318344136' post='1400875']
''away lads, i haven't had time for my dinner, shall we go for a pre-gig parmo?''

if you live in and around Middlesbrough and have ever had a parmo you will understand...

if you haven't, here's a picture...

as you can imagine you feel ''quite'' sluggish after one of these...
[/quote]

What is this?

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1318338705' post='1400774']
On a related subject - is 3 months long enough for a horn section long enough to learn a set with reading the parts?

Or am I being harsh?
[/quote]

All the horn players I know would do that in a day.. they have to read it not memories it. The only issues is when the parts are wrong

ooh heres another one (from last night). Get sent a track to learn from a YouTube link in an email.

Get to rehearsal and 1-2-3-4 first chord sounds awful. "What chord are you playing?" i ask.

"Cm7" says guitartist.
"Thats strange as the track you sent me was in Bm." i say.
"Yeah but it sounds better in Cm"

OK not a big deal - i know how to transpose. Thing is it would be good to communicate this to the other guys in the band?