Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318339108' post='1400788']
Sometimes, and I get this might be a bit of a radical notion, stuff happens unexpectedly! Also, there are a lot of things that are ongoing and can't just be put aside (like having kids, for example).

As for the "preciousness" of time when you actually have enough free time anyway to do things like being in a band: First World Problems, innit?

I'm not saying people should just be allowed to flake out whenever they want, but that people should consider the reasons why they did before bitching about it, 'kay?
[/quote]
Yeah I have time to be in a band, but why should I use my time to learn the parts when others in the band can't be arsed? If they've got more important stuff to do, fair enough but stop wasting my time in my band!

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1318344631' post='1400884']

All the horn players I know would do that in a day.. they have to read it not memories it. The only issues is when the parts are wrong
[/quote]

Don't you think seeing a funk band where some of the players are reading looks a bit Sh*t?

I do.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1318344270' post='1400878']
What is this?
[/quote]

Looks to me like chicken, chips and cheese. Amirite?

About the time thing, seriously, if your life is so busy that you literally have no time at all to learn 3 songs, then you should probably not be in a band at all. Clearly that 2-3 hours a week for rehersals could be put to much better use.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1318344969' post='1400891']

Don't you think seeing a funk band where some of the players are reading looks a bit Sh*t?

I do.
[/quote]

If a band isn't doing drone, they shouldn't have time to read onstage anyway.

I'll get me coat.

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1318345057' post='1400894']

Looks to me like chicken, chips and cheese. Amirite?

About the time thing, seriously, if your life is so busy that you literally have no time at all to learn 3 songs, then you should probably not be in a band at all. Clearly that 2-3 hours a week for rehersals could be put to much better use.
[/quote]

A quick scan of the office revealed that my mate is some form of outcast smoggie. I'm unclear on why he can't go back, but he has confirmed the following:
[list]
[*]It's chicken parmigiana done Northern; and thus done best
[*]It's breaded chicken covered in garlic sauce and cheese
[*]It comes with chips
[*]Salad is also available
[/list]
Today, I have gained a new respect for 'Boro :)

I'm trying to work out how I can now knock one together.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1318331351' post='1400597']

I don't think you know what a drummer is. A drummer is a musician. Someone who plays the drums isn't a drummer. They just happen to use a drumkit
[/quote]

As with all things there's a sliding scale. I wouldn't call a drummer a musician any more than I would call a lot of guitarists or bass players musicians. Maybe I'm a musical snob. There are lots of people capable of playing the right notes at the right time and doing very well in bands, but that's as far as it goes and as far as they want to go for a lot of them.

One of the bands I play in, we practise once a week at the very most. It's very difficult to remember drum parts for songs you only play that often. It's very difficult to practise drumming on your own too. There are ways around it, but I have to say my band mates all seem very happy with how well i'm doing, and really don't seem to care about the fact that I need to ask how each song goes before we play it (someone hums 2 seconds of the bassline).

I guess it's all about the attitude of the band, and you just have to hope you're all "on the same page"

i do a lot of depping and session stuff at the moment and if i turn up without practicing i don't get paid! but more importantly if i don't get the job and lose the respect of the employer and i don't get gigs again!

making sure you know the songs is imperative to being in a band!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1318346929' post='1400939']

Turning down the full time work to learn a song for us would be like you turning down a gig because you have to change the oil in the car.
[/quote]

You'd be better off changing the oil in that parmo.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1317980088' post='1396829']
"Let's do 500 Miles for the encore, everyone loves it...."

oh god!!
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1317980681' post='1396835']

Holy crap! I would actually rather f*ck The Proclaimers than do that number.
[/quote]
We always do 500 hundred miles as a first encore, great singalong, usually followed by Nellie the Elephant, goes down well at beer festivals :)

Our drummer was complaining that the bass was too loud and my amp was too loud blah blah. So we tried a song and during it he continued to complain the bass was too loud so I showed him my hands and the fact that I was not actually playing and then pointed to my amp to show him that it was not switched on or even plugged in. It turned out it was the guitar he mean't :)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1318342123' post='1400836']
IME the perps are normally serial offenders. Anyone can have a week or so when things go a bit crazy but i am talking about guys who are regular wingers.
[/quote]

Well said. Its frustrating when excuses are given too frequently.

This thread just goes to show how important it is to play with musicians with similar levels of commitment and taste in music.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1318342803' post='1400854']
Sod not having practiced and such like "I thought you were bringing the biscuits this week?" is the one that fills me with dread.
[/quote]
Reminds me it reeeeeeally is my turn next r/h

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1318006889' post='1397242']
1. I'm not playing any bloody gigs for no money, that's taking the piss that is.

2. I'm setting up a charity gig, you guys don't mind playing for nothing and lending your gear as the backline for the day and being first to arrive and last to leave. Do you?

3. I bloody hate landlords. They're a useless bloody bunch of tossers. Liars the lot of 'em.

4. The landlord of the Dog & Duck has promised us a gig. Well that's what the barmaid said. Well, she actually said she'd tell him I'd dropped in.

5. You guys don't mind if I get there just before we start, do you? You don't need me for setting-up, right?

6. Why the f*** am I over here. You KNOW I always like to be just there. Well can't you move your bass rig? No, the drums only have to move a couple of feet.

7. Jesus, you make me sick. You're always whinging about your kit, and you bring far too much anyway.

8. Erm ... guys ... erm ... I forgot to bring my amp. Can you help?

9. I reckon this band can really go places, y'know, cos we're all really committed.

10. When was that gig booked for at the Kebab & Calculator? Oh. Look guys, I've booked a week ski-ing ...

In case you were wondering, each pair of comments was made by the same guy (none are invented or even exaggerated - I didn't need to).

In case you were wondering, he's a lead guitarist. Who thinks he can sing.

In case you were wondering, we sacked him three weeks ago.
[/quote]

This is freakishly close to some of the stuff the singer used to say in my last band!

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1318344969' post='1400891']

I do.
[/quote]
Never recall seeing "Earth Wind and Fire" Reading on stage....you know at GIG!!
prehaps well all ( well I should ) raise the game a little :)
W

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1318344647' post='1400885']ooh heres another one (from last night). Get sent a track to learn from a YouTube link in an email.

Get to rehearsal and 1-2-3-4 first chord sounds awful. "What chord are you playing?" i ask.

"Cm7" says guitartist.
"Thats strange as the track you sent me was in Bm." i say.
"Yeah but it sounds better in Cm"

OK not a big deal - i know how to transpose. Thing is it would be good to communicate this to the other guys in the band?[/quote]
At least with this scenario my lot agree a set of songs to try but know we shall have to shuffle keys for the vox so a rough run through to establish a workable key, then a pitch-shifted version is dumped in the band DropBox.

I was guilty of this with the proggy lot recently. They decided on doing two Spocks Beard tracks and when I sat down to learn the bass it rapidly became apparent to me that the album it came from MUST have been recorded detuned a semitone (quickly confirmed on the SB forum). Unfortunately the guitarist had been working it out in Eb and I then failed to explain properly to the keys after agreeing with guitarist that whilst it played Eb it was clearly E detuned and we would go for E not detuned. Keys learnt it in D :) OOPS!

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1318352273' post='1401061']

Well said. Its frustrating when excuses are given too frequently.

This thread just goes to show how important it is to play with musicians with similar levels of commitment and taste in music.
[/quote]

Indeed. But it's very difficult to find a band like that.

Our Drummer is self employed and doesn't work in the evening. One guitarist is an engineer working 9-5. The other guitarist is the owner of a medium sized IT company in central London. I work 8-4 but if I have to finish something I have to stay. I also have small children.

It's much better to find a band with people who are flexible and know what life is about.

The last band I played in we all got ripped apart by the drummer if we were even slightly late to a practice or a gig. Despite us all telling him that kids don't behave when they know you are trying to get out and not to start rehearsals at 7.30pm because bedtime is 7:30pm. But then again he has no kids, left work at 5pm regardless of how much work he had on, went to the gym for an hour, went home ate his dinner then went to rehearsal.

Edited by TimR

After moaning incessantly that we didn't practice enough at last week's rehearsal, I got this text, by chance I might add as I was asking a question about practice.

[i]"We weren't going to bother this week anyway"[/i]

Even though our singer is off with her other band doing a mini tour I still would have thought they would want to put in some practice together, they bloody need it.