Why become a member? ×

Finally Had Enough, I'm Off!!!

Hobbayne

I'm off! :) Been stuck in this band for 8 years now. Got the worlds worst drummer. In fact the first time I played with him, I thought he was mucking about during the end of 'Dance the night away' and the singer who doesnt know how to operate the PA, insists on playing rythm guitar, doesnt know how to tune it, and just plugs in and plays without adjusting anything! full on on reverb and played very loud out of tune with frequent wrong chords.
Why do I stay? Because its regular work, playing nearly every week and over new year too.
But enough is enough, I,ve got an audition with a blues/Rock band next week!
Have to learn:
All Right Now - Easy enough
Freebird - Never listened to the bass on that one
Black Betty - Interesting stuff going on there!
Hey Joe - Easy!
Let you know what happens next Friday! :)

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1317839183' post='1395295']
Crikey, how do you get regular gigs if the band is pants? Share your secret. :) And good luck.
[/quote]

God Knows! :) I guess it helps if your playing to the old folk at the British Legion who dont have their hearing aid on!! :)
Seriously though, I look after the live sound through the PA and tune his guitar and then secretly turn it down while he,s not looking!!

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1317839781' post='1395313']
Dont jack it in until you have another gig .
Advice i got and it was GOLD when i looked at how many players were "resting" for a LONG time.
[/quote]

Oh, now this is so true. I've been between bands for the last 2 years. It's horrible. Don't leave until you have something else to go to unless it's doing your head in so much you feel your head might explode. Granted I've helped out mates and done various dep gigs in between but nothing beats regular activity. When it stops, it's sometimes very hard to get back into unless of course you're not picky.

MB1. :)
All the best with it!, as previously mentioned not a good idea to jettison the old band until the new ones up and running.If there is a great divide musically between the two bands,you'll instinctively find it and know which way to go!
Good Luck!

I could lend you the world's worst guitarist, if you'd like? They should get on fine, and can safely form a new band away from people who might want to f***ing learn something... ?

I'll work out what the shipping is on a live guitarist and give you a quote :)

You shouldn't ship a live guitarist as it's too costly; play you bass as loud and deep as possible, which will stop his heart, then you can repackage him in something that's cheaper to ship. If the idea of doing this is too much, then you must appreciate your guitarist and want to keep him!

I've never been able to stay in a Band which makes me unhappy and I've been luck enough to find a Band which has helped improve my playing; playing with musicians who are better than yourself is the best thing ever!

[quote name='Charla' timestamp='1317899947' post='1395895']
You shouldn't ship a live guitarist as it's too costly; play your bass as loud and deep as possible, which will stop his heart, then you can repackage him in something that's cheaper to ship.
[/quote]

A coffin? :)

Easy Freebird is easy, but there's a YouTube isolated bass track which made me raise an eyebrow - there's a lot more in it than I'd suspected in the 30+years I've been listening to it. Break a leg at the audition, mate...

Best of luck!

However I bet I wasn't the only one that thought from the title this was another of those flouncing off, "I'm leaving BassChat" threads that ends up with the protagonist being flamed for being too sensitive ("It's only a an internet forum, blah blah") :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1317895969' post='1395817']
Step 1, replace the drummer.
Step 2, replace the singer.

Job done.
[/quote]

Cant, its their band! They get all the work, so in fact i am a musical prositute! :)

Ah Blues-Rock, the great provider!
Freebird is actually a VERY busy song. Like many of their tracks IMO.

TBH I wouldn't jettison the old band either, regular work is hard to come by. I would make it clear to them that the new band is not a threat and may result in less gigs for the group but that it is something you need to do for your own enjoyment.
If they cant be professional enough to understand this then theres no point playing with them.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1317898155' post='1395858']
I could lend you the world's worst guitarist, if you'd like? They should get on fine, and can safely form a new band away from people who might want to f***ing learn something... ?

I'll work out what the shipping is on a live guitarist and give you a quote :)
[/quote]
Was in York last week on my way back from portsmouth match ...place was a shambles ....boom tish , its the way i tell them !