Why become a member? ×

40somethings...still trying to make it..??

JTUK

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1317733541' post='1393821']
The other issue with the 40+ age group is most of the people this age who like going to see live music have settled down, with kids and houses and can't be arsed or afford to go out and see bands anymore. Thus making it more frustating for those still playing as they play to a venue of 3 people. Plus there are less venues these days having live music or original bands. Its just more things stacked up against bothering.
[/quote]

But the ones that do are dedicated.There's actually a thriving live music scene here at the moment,to the point where we're playing in more places to more people than I ever did when I was little.

The other issue with the 40+ age group is most of the people this age who like going to see live music have settled down, with kids and houses and can't be arsed or afford to go out and see bands anymore. Thus making it more frustating for those still playing as they play to a venue of 3 people. Plus there are less venues these days having live music or original bands. Its just more things stacked up against bothering.
[/quote]

+1

This is definitely part of the problem my band faces. It's even a slog to get my better half to most of our gigs, because of the hassle and additional expense of booking babysitters etc. We did a headline slot at one gig in Manchester in August and we weren't on stage until 24:15 - by that time most of the audience had gone home and we just had 8 of our own supporters there. :)

Somehow it's still fun though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1317725730' post='1393650']
I find it rather amusing that this subject has come up on the day that I turn 51!
[/quote]

Today? If so, Happy 51st birthday mate.

Anyway, back on topic. My definition of "making it" would be making enough income to live off, and constant gigging/touring. Playing Arena shows is part of the teenage musicians dreams (I'm 16, so that applies to me) but if that ever happens to me, i'll consider that i've "Made it" long before that point. Yes, i don't really need much of an income at the moment to support myself off (I don't go drinking every weekend, i don't smoke. I need strings, food and bus tickets, simple) so that wouldnt be too hard to achieve at the moment. Although, if i turned on Kerrang! and saw my own face on there, i couldnt help but i feel a little on top of the world.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

The other issue with the 40+ age group is most of the people this age who like going to see live music have settled down, with kids and houses and can't be arsed or afford to go out and see bands anymore.
[/quote]

OTOH, 40+ (maybe a bit later) is when kids start to leave home, the mortgage gets paid off etc, and more disposable income puts the spring back in the step. Even 50+ needn't be 'one-foot-in-the-grave' territory. :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1317734010' post='1393837']
This is quite true in our case. We play a range of stuff but I guess our audience might typically be 40's.... you try getting them out too many times. They have the money but also too many other things to do socially.
Of all the things wrong with our band, it is keeping an audience over a few months.or targetting them in the first place.

Other bands are far more successful getting attendance and it really is a mystery.and a major frustration..
[/quote]
Because music is so subjective, there really is no real reason why one band should be more popular than another. All you can do is to write the best songs you can and be as entertaining as you can, and hope to be in the right place at the right time.

And if you are entertaining there's no reason why you shouldn't appeal right across the age range. That way when you're in your 30s/early 40s and most of your contemporaries are using being stuck at home raising families as an excuse not to come and see you play, you still have an audience.

And for those who think they are getting on a bit but still want to play original material, don't underestimate the potential of playing with people much younger than yourself. I'm almost twice the age of the rest of the Terrortones and while I don't always have the same energy to keep going at 3.00 in the morning I have 35 years experience of playing and song-writing that serves me well.

And thank you all for your birthday wishes!

In true Rock 'n' Roll "never say die" style I'm off out tonight along with my band to take part in photoshoot for the local arts and culture magazine and website which will be followed by getting riotously drunk and the party afterwards...

Playing has always been a hobby to me. I believe in being as good as i can, in whatever i do.
"Making it" to me has never really been about money but more about being recognised as a player. There are different levels of being recognised too. From being megga famous on TV to quite simply being a well respected musician in your own local area. Doesn't really matter which as long as you feel recognised.
I'm enjoying playing with a classic rock band at 51 more than i ever did in my 20's. I don't expect to be any more famous than local respect at being a "good band". That's the reality of it and sure if we get well known and offered more gigs at bigger venues then fine but it won't make a huge difference to me personally as long as I'm enjoying it and people like it.

We are never gonna look like 20 something kids with hair down to our backsides but at least we'll have fun doing what we do.

Dave
:)

At the age of 57, playing in a band whose ages range from 30 to 62, I actually feel younger on stage, and that cant be a bad thing? We have a great time nearly every gig, get loads of free food and drink, paid well and meet lots of really nice people. If I didnt play, I would have half as many friends, be boring as hell and possibly even fatter than I am now. Surely I have "made it"?

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1317736659' post='1393897']
At the age of 57, playing in a band whose ages range from 30 to 62, I actually feel younger on stage, and that cant be a bad thing? We have a great time nearly every gig, get loads of free food and drink, paid well and meet lots of really nice people. If I didnt play, I would have half as many friends, be boring as hell and possibly even fatter than I am now. Surely I have "made it"?
[/quote]
Nice. Yes mate, in my world you are a success.

As for being popular....??? no idea about it, really.

We haven't ever played to empty pubs but fail to see what other bands have when they crash the place...!!!

Maybe we are nobby no-mates :) and it is a long slog getting ourselves about..
P.S we are crap at FB and the like..

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1317736918' post='1393901']
24:15??
[/quote]

I thought you had to be on acid to get to 25 oclock?

Anyway, I take it "making it" means worldwide stardom and the money to go with it, or is it the more humble tradesmans wage of a touring originals band ?

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1317736659' post='1393897']
[/quote]

SUCCESS on a plate mate - ye couldnae beat that wi a big stick. Well done and I'm jealous. :)

Dave

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1317737740' post='1393916']

I thought you had to be on acid to get to 25 oclock?

Anyway, I take it "making it" means worldwide stardom and the money to go with it, or is it the more humble tradesmans wage of a touring originals band ?
[/quote]

Not in my book..a jobber doesn't count as making it..

Seliing a few mill in sales and retiring mid 30's latest....

like Steps did..apparently..:) :)

I've more than made it according to my expectations of five years ago. I think I could certainly handle a lot more though.
I'm doing the stuff I like without compromise but with a little of the wisdom/experience that comes with being 48. Other people seem to like it too.
Kids like old duffers like U2 for example. Why wouldn't they like us? Our last gig the audience was aged from 17 to a couple of noisy guitar rock fans in there 60s. They all seem to have had a good time.
This is a particularly British perception that originals bands should quit if they haven't made it by 30 and start doing covers. Song writing is the big buzz for me. We're not like previous generations. We've grown up with rock n roll. Why should our access be shut off to it when we get older? We should be venerated like the old blues men were in the 60s :)
The quality of songs and performance is in my opinion far more important than age. Obviously we may have to try a little harder than younger bands. That's granted.

As long as you mean it. Do it.

Oh and Happy Birthday too Mr Big Red X. But remember it's just a number.

Now that many of the heroes of my youth (the 1970's) have got around to writing their autobiographies, it strikes me that 'Making It' is not all it's cracked up to be. Most of them seem to have spent a couple of years at the top and several decades getting over it, with all the encumbrances of tax demands, divorces and drug rehab. I'm sure it's not much different today for anyone starting out to 'Make It'.

These days much of my admiration goes to people like Silddx, LowEndBee and others here who combine day jobs, a stable home life and a questing desire to produce engaging original music. The seemingly-apparent gap between them and name artists who dodged the superstar trap - Wayne Kramer, Steve Hackett, the late John Martyn - and continue to produce relevant work is much narrower than we might think.

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1317742170' post='1393992']
Always wanted to be old enough to be a "proper bluesman". Nearly there, eh! :)
[/quote]

Ha, me to, hope im enjoying a straight back and a few beers in the corner of the pub playing blues when im 68

Blues man Seasick Steve (70) got a major break on Jools Holland's Hootenanny, New Year's Eve 2006 (when he was 65). After that his popularity exploded in this country.

Last year he was nominated for a Brit Award, this year played countless festivals, recorded tracks and played onstage with John Paul Jones, played onstage with Dave Grohl in front of 65,000 people and loads of other stuff which I won't list here.

He's even been a star in a reasonably priced car, for Christ's sake!!

So it can be done. :)

Edit: can't spell 'Hootenanny'.

Edited by discreet

It all depends on the genre of music - surely? - but there are always exceptions to the rule...

Seasick Steve attracts crowds of younger listeners.

There are numerous young classic musicians who entertain mainly older audiences.

DJs Pete Tong, John Digweed, Rob Da Bank et al continue to pack clubs in Ibiza, despite being older than the fathers of most punters.

In pop music, sure, age is nearly always a factor. Elsewhere, less so...

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1317760831' post='1394363']
For what it's worth, I'm 17 and a fair share of the bands I listen to feature middle-aged/older folk, so keep going guys! :)
Either way, play music for the music - if it gets you somewhere then it's a nice bonus. :)
[/quote]

At last, an old head on young shoulders. Thank you, young man. :)