Why become a member? ×

Basses you regretted selling.

Guest McBass

Well a bought a Rick 4001,black with shark's tooth inlays in 1983 for £200, totally ruined it by defretting it.
Swapped it and a Yamaha fretless for a lovely Wal custom fretless, figured maple and Wal case,no lines on the fingerboard.
Sold it for £300 in 1991...eek
Jaydee Mark King made to order 1986/7
Sold for £350 1991/2.

Totally regret selling all of those basses now...

Can I nominate a bass my dad sold in 1971 for £60?

His '62 Fender P in some kind of pink colouring (Fiesta Red is too dark, Shell pink is too light).
If he still had it, it would be in mint condition, with it's original case and all the paper work.

Edited by bartelby

I've bought and sold a lot of basses but two still rankle with me as bad decisions:

A Fender CS Pino bass that I sold back to Jas/Legion - every bit as good as my year-of-birth P bass (and half the cost!) and it just had something indefinably lovely about it (combination of the light weight, worn in neck, finish etc)

Alleva-Coppolo LG4 (the Jazz shaped model) in sunburst - best Jazz I ever played, currently in Happy Jack's hands (though I continue to work hard to prise it out of his grip!)

My gloss black Corvette $$ with an ebony board I sold to Jam for £525. I am unrivalled in twattishness for that. It's a beautiful bass and I am getting another Warwick to replace it.

My mint Hohner Jack Bass Custom I'd had from new that I sold on ebay, one bid at £100. %^£^%^*$!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1317047835' post='1385917']
Yamaha BB300, my first bass, traded with a mate for a Westone Thuder III.
[/quote]

Good trade! The Thunder III is a much better bass!

My regret is swapping an Ibanez Studio Bass for a Riverhead on the basis that it had been owned by Dave Pegg (The Riverhead that is)

Edited by chaypup

From recollection, I have only owned 7 basses. I sold 3, still own 3, and the other 1 (my first bass) died from a broken truss rod.

Other than the odd 'y'kno that bass would've been nice to keep around' feeling we must all get occasionally, I have never regretted the sale of any of my basses.

in my jazz buying splurge last year i went through 3 amazing jazz basses in 6 months.
1) the red valenti No.42 jazz - loved the sound and playability - loved the pups brilliant but not for me the sharp edges
2) the USA fender FSR 75 (ish) ir - sounded good, felt good.... and fun to play - but cost as much as my other basses put together

so I don't miss them at all.....
the 1975 cimar ash jazz bass...... mmmm that was so fun to play. I miss it, it cost £70 and I did it up for a friend and sold it for £120 (with new bridge) but mmmmm I want it back! :)

I have to say that I have been pretty happy with all my Bass sales so far, except for a natural Fender P that I sold to a guy in Bury St Edmunds when I was about.. err 17 or so. Would love to know what happened to that! - but I regret selling a lot of my amps and cabs. I wish I still had a lot of them, so:

2 x Tech Soundsystems ND410s cabs
1 x Powersoft 2004 poweramp
1 x Ampeg SVT2 Pro
my original SVP-BSP - if i'd kept it, I wouldn't have had to have bought a second one!
1 x Trace Elliot V-Type preamp

Those particularly stand out as some real favourites!

The only one I really miss was a lefty Japanese Fender 62RI Jazz. Took me quite a while to find another bass I liked as much as
that one. Including several considerably more expensive instruments nothing felt as good to play as that old Jazz, would buy
it back in a heartbeat!

Edited by Subbeh