Why become a member? ×

Who's better??

ern500evo

I did a gig saturday at a biker pub and after i'd finished a young guy(he looked about 16 at most!) came up to me and said "Me and my friend (points to his equally young looking mate) have just started playing, can i ask you a question?" So i said "yea sure" thinking he might want some playing/gear advice from an old codger(i'm 41 so in his eyes, practically dead), the following conversation followed.
Him: "who is better, Cliff Burton or rob trujillo?"
Me(thinking oh god not again!) It's all about preference/opinion, you're never gonna settle that argument
Him: "yea but WHO is better?"
Me: "there is no better, they are both different, it's just a case of who you'd rather listen to"
Him: (by now his mate had joined us) "we look at the clips of them on youtube all the time to see who's better, so who do you prefer?"
At this point i was really tempted to stoke the fire and say, none they're both sh*t, just to get a reaction but refrained and said "I personally prefer Trujillo, but thats nothing to do with metallica i've just always liked his playing"
Him(to his mate) "hahaha i told you loser, rob is much better"
His mate: "F*ck the pair of you man, cliff would totally own that monkey boys ass".
So i finished up by saying " don't waste your time trying to settle pointless arguments with youtube morons, stick some music on, play along and enjoy it regardless of who happens to be playing the bass". At this point they left, swiping a half drank bottle of newcastle brown off of someone elses table on the way out! Got me thinking, do you think it's an age thing where you're obsessed with who's better than who, and as you get older you just tend to appreciate players more, or do you think that if you're that way inclined you'll always be like that?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1373325' date='Sep 14 2011, 03:27 PM'][/quote]

I really miss those guys. :) If you get the DVDs they don't have the music videos on, so they're missing all the fun bit, although I suppose they are saving bands from being stolen from by thieves who prefer to listen to their music while Beavis and Butthead talk over it, presumably...

i would have told them i couldnt possibly comment because i havent a clue who this cliff burton is - as for trujillo i only know his infectious grooves stuff long before the pair of them were even at big school and have never heard any of the metallica RT stuff- hes good but i think the reputation of the bass of doom will surpass him given time :)

if i get bored later and there is bugger all worth watching on the idiot lantern i might search the tinterweb for mr burton :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1373426' date='Sep 14 2011, 05:13 PM']i would have told them i couldnt possibly comment because i havent a clue who this cliff burton is - as for trujillo i only know his infectious grooves stuff long before the pair of them were even at big school and have never heard any of the metallica RT stuff- hes good but i think the reputation of the bass of doom will surpass him given time :)

if i get bored later and there is bugger all worth watching on the idiot lantern i might search the tinterweb for mr burton :)[/quote]
At first i thought he said Cliff Thorburn, i didn't even know Rob Trujillo played snooker!! :)

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1373457' date='Sep 14 2011, 05:44 PM']So is Cliff Burton related to Trevor Burton, who visits pubs round here and makes a lot of noise?[/quote]

Nah it was him that makes Wagon Wheels.

As a mark of respect after he died they made them 60% of the size that they used to be.

At least that would've been more acceptable than lying and saying that they've always been the same size :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1374144' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:38 AM']Extra points to anyone who remembers Rachel Bolan... :)[/quote]
I thought Marc only had a son. <googles> Oh, wonder if his parents were Johnny Cash admirers and fancied a variation on "Sue".

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1374144' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:38 AM']This sort of thing has always gone on, I remember listening to two guys on a bus to a gig once arguing over Rachel Bolan vs, Jason Newstead.
Extra points to anyone who remembers Rachel Bolan... :)[/quote]

Skid Row bass player? he's in the latest Bass Player mag incidently

[quote name='Hamster' post='1374391' date='Sep 15 2011, 01:15 PM']I blame these buggers for pointless arguments! - If only they did Top Trumps bass players, all this would be settled!!

[/quote]

You might be onto something here! A Top Trumps 'battle of the bands' (or bass-players) would be a great idea... I'm off to the Patents Office, see ya! :)