Why become a member? ×

Opinions please, although I know the answer....

vmaxblues

Cheers guys, all good advice, I do know the player and as far as I know he is a decent enough guy. My problem are:

Will a Double Bass push my rig too hard?

It is unlikely that another player will leave my settings alone (which is what happened to my trace)

Why should I take the risk?

At the last gig I played in 2005 the band on before me used my Ashdown ABM combo (with about 10 minutes notice which really pissed me off). I knocked the EQ out of the circuit & had a good laugh as he f***ed about with the EQ & convinced himself it was actually doing something to his sound. :)

We played a festival last week and the organisers asked if they could use my rig despite us being first on the bill.
I said yes because: a) The other bands on the bill were funk bands so I know their bass players know how to play nice with my gear :lol:

and :) because my rig is insured for what I would have to pay to get the equivalent today :)

sadly, nothing went wrong on the day....

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='1369133' date='Sep 11 2011, 09:55 AM']the last big charity bash I did where I let the othe bass player use my rig saw the end of vintage Trace head.[/quote]
Perhaps you should have bought a more reliable head then.

:)

If there's not going to be any great time pressures or problems over changeover, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the other bassist to use his own rig.

Years ago when Hartke were good and expensive someone lent me their rig as they wanted to sell it to me. I hadn't used it till i picked it up from him and went straight to the sound check. Soon realised that something was seriously wrong. Farty noises etc. I speed home get my rig and do the gig. When i explain this to the chap selling the gear he gets very upset and says it must all be my fault. Being a peacemaker i offered to pay for it (stupidly as it turns out) and £180 later its sorted. I find out a few years later that the guy knew the rig was trouble before he offered for me to try it out :)

The moral of the story for me is that always use your own gear and never anyone elses (unless its a jam night of course).

Anyway, i vote NO. I understand its harder to have several drum kits to move about but your average bass rig can be wrapped up in about 3 minutes.

Well if you know the bloke and he seems decent like you say, I wouldn't personally worry about it.

I lend my gear (even basses) out all the time and nothing's ever gone wrong. For me, as long as there's no reason to [i]distrust[/i] the bassist(s) and they ask nicely they're pretty much welcome to it - amps are made to be played right? :)

There are of course always a few people with little respect for other people's stuff, but they stick out like a sore thumb, usually with a reputation preceding them. The vast majority of people are perfectly fine to deal with.

You could always give the other bassist a ring and chat to him about it - explain the whole Trace situation and find out why he can't bring his rig etc?

It's nice to be nice :)

Edited by Ben Jamin

I don't have a problem with people using my gear after all it is a bass amp and should be able to take anythig that's put through it. Just tell them that you don't want to have it above a certain level on the gain and master because of what happened to you amp last time. If it's a double bass the odds are that feedback will occur beyond a certain volume anyway.

I agree with what most people are saying. I don't mind lending my rig out to other bassists. The one time I felt like my amp was being abused I just walked onstage and turned the gain down lol :)

If you're worried about your amp getting fried Just say you're only willing to lend out your cabs and they will have to supply their own head. After all markbass cabs are pretty much indestructible from what I've seen :)

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='1369548' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:34 PM']Cheers guys, all good advice, I do know the player and as far as I know he is a decent enough guy. My problem are:

Will a Double Bass push my rig too hard?

It is unlikely that another player will leave my settings alone (which is what happened to my trace)

Why should I take the risk?[/quote]

Seems like we've all offered our own 2p's worth here.

Returning to YOUR situation, I get the sense from your post above that you have some reservations about lending your rig.
Your third comment seems to indicate you may be feeling some obligation here though, which is making you question your instincts.

It's your decision at the end of the day, but if you're not comfortable with the situation, why go ahead with it ?

Best of luck whatever happens.

Apart from physical damage, what sort of damage could someone do to your rig?

If the speakers are adequately matched to the amp then, presumably, the worst that could happen is that the volume is turned up to '11'. it might not sound great, but will it do any actual harm?

In my (limited) experience, the gear-sharing thing is usually to do with stage-space and minimising change-over times between bands rather than some players not having, or not being bothered to bring, their own gear.

The Double Bass should not hurt your rig-I've used mine through similar rigs with no problems.

However....I still wouldn't lend my amp,just because that's what I'm like. If you've got a gig,you should take
your own gear-even if it's only a DI box. I'd never rely on another player for an amp and I expect the same
from others.

I voted no.

If your amp dies and the other player does the honest thing, you won't get a new amp or cab straight away. There is the hassle of buying replacements etc and then breaking them in. If the other player has a double bass, then there should be a car involved somewhere. A smallish amp shouldn't be too hard to bring along with the double bass.

I voted no.
You are under no obligation to loan ANY of your expensive personal kit out to anyone, especially at a gig where you aren`t even getting paid.
You are not selfish in wishing to preserve your equipment for your own personal use, you bought it, transported it and maintain it.

Are you loaning this other bassist your car? if not why not?
Seriously, it`s no drama, tell the promoter organiser, that you are not prepared to share and they need to make alternative arrangements.

If the other bassist simply doesn`t have a rig, then ask yourself why.

Edited by Monckyman