Why become a member? ×

What is it about Wal's.....?

edstraker123

Like most of us I am forever trawling the basses for sale postings just to see what's out there. Whenever a Wal comes up it seems to be treated like the Holy Grail of basses, commanding serious cash and defying the depreciation associated with most custom basses. Having never played one I often wonder what it is that makes them so special. Some I've seen look absolutely amazing but others look like they have been built with the wood from a 70's wardrobe. How much of the price reflects the collectability of the instrument as opposed to the quality. Do they sound any better than a custom Shuker or ACG ? I hankered after an Akai Deep Impact for so long and when I finally got one I was really disappointed and wondered what the fuss was about. Has anybody bought a Wal and found it has not lived up to their expectations or are they truly the best out there ?

[quote name='edstraker123' post='1342673' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:01 AM']Like most of us I am forever trawling the basses for sale postings just to see what's out there. Whenever a Wal comes up it seems to be treated like the Holy Grail of basses, commanding serious cash and defying the depreciation associated with most custom basses. Having never played one I often wonder what it is that makes them so special. Some I've seen look absolutely amazing but others look like they have been built with the wood from a 70's wardrobe. How much of the price reflects the collectability of the instrument as opposed to the quality. Do they sound any better than a custom Shuker or ACG ? I hankered after an Akai Deep Impact for so long and when I finally got one I was really disappointed and wondered what the fuss was about. Has anybody bought a Wal and found it has not lived up to their expectations or are they truly the best out there ?[/quote]

Maybe we all have to actually try one out. I've never played one either and feel exactly the same. I don't find them attractive basses at all and can't say I've ever heard one that "blows me away" so it must be in the playing experience I guess. Is there a Wal sound? or is it like anything else that is coloured by the player, amplification etc?

Feel the same way about Alembics. I've had two. One looked like it was made in an afternoon with a lump of wood that was found in the corner and sounded okay, the other looked really beautiful and sounded like everyything else I'd ever owned.

Still, people love them so there must be something going on there.

My direct acquaintance with Wals is pretty limited, but I did some digging while I owned my Pro IIe before selling it to Clarky.

Essentially, Wals seem to tick ALL the boxes.

1. Handmade by a tiny team of craftsmen.

2. Unique, in-house electronics.

3. Utterly distinctive sound, very hard to reproduce with other basses.

4. Historically, owned by very influential players from the youth of today's wealthy middle-aged.

5. Delightful to play and, despite (2) and (3) above, very versatile.

I have no doubt that I will own another one day, and I say that despite being a confirmed P-bass man at heart.

With basses like this, it came as no surprise to discover (months after I'd sold it) that mine was the very bass used on[i] Too Shy [/i]by Kajagoogoo. :)

Try anything by Brand X (Product, Nobody Goes to Sweden, Wal To Wal, April).

For me, it is the bass that allows you to sound like you. I have played my Wal Custom Fretless (4-string) pretty much exclusively since 1986 and have to say that I can't recognise a distinctive 'Wal' sound at all (but, then again, I can't tell the difference in sound between a Jazz Bass and a Rickenbacker 4001). What I do know is, if I hear myself playing, I know its me (so does my wife). For a jazz player, that's pretty important. Its reliable (no breakdowns (or broken strings) in 25 years), versatile (jazz/blues/funk/rock/shows. big band/duos/ live/studio) - it just delivers. Everyone who I play with is complementary about the sound and I pretty much always get called back.

Some examples of the bass di'd into my PC (noodles, not proper pieces)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=150684&st=0&p=1340108&#entry1340108"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1340108[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42836&hl=wal+street+crash"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...al+street+crash[/url]

Other stuff on my Soundcloud page (See below). If its me on electric bass, its all the Wal.

.. and if you like what you hear from Bilbo's clips, I happen to have the same model (a 1983 Mk 1 fretless) for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147460&st=0#entry1314644"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=0#entry1314644[/url]. Shameless plug of the day :)

Happy Jack has hit all the main points, so I'll just add a couple of caveats...

1. Sound, playability and looks are all entirely subjective. The only way to tell if a Wal is for you is to go and play some.

2. Despite having a unique and versatile sound, the two players best known and most often mentioned for using Wals aren't necessarily representative of it's sound. Justin Chancellor's Wal sound is as much a product of his effects and amplification as it is of the bass he uses. Mick Karn did most of his best known work in Japan using a Travis Bean TB2000 (he didn't get his Wal until the Tin Drum album).

Finally I find it amazing that people think that one custom bass is essentially exchangeable for another. You wouldn't expect a Fender P. a Rickenbacker 4001 or a Gibson EB3 to be interchangeable, so why would you expect this from a custom bass? Every custom luthier has their own unique vision of how to make musical instruments and that's why you choose one over another. The only thing that they should have in common is a fantastically high standard of craftsmanship. Everything else is down to the ideas of the individual luthier. If you like what they do, then maybe they should be building a bass for you; if not then there will be someone else who's ideas match yours.

[quote name='edstraker123' post='1342673' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:01 AM']....Has anybody bought a Wal and found it has not lived up to their expectations....[/quote]
I'm sure that has happened. Not every bass is the best for everyone.

The Wal's I've played, and owned, have always been very well made, have sounded great and played effortlessly. There are types of music where I don't think they work well, Blues, Soul or Metal for example. A strength they have is that they record so well. They are just fantastic in the studio which has lead to many top players using them. That’s always good for the reputation.

There's a lot of competition these days but for the last 30 years they've been a consistently top quality instrument.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1342687' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:15 AM']My direct acquaintance with Wals is pretty limited, but I did some digging while I owned my Pro IIe before selling it to Clarky.

Essentially, Wals seem to tick ALL the boxes.

1. Handmade by a tiny team of craftsmen.

2. Unique, in-house electronics.

3. Utterly distinctive sound, very hard to reproduce with other basses.

4. Historically, owned by very influential players from the youth of today's wealthy middle-aged.

5. Delightful to play and, despite (2) and (3) above, very versatile.

I have no doubt that I will own another one day, and I say that despite being a confirmed P-bass man at heart.

With basses like this, it came as no surprise to discover (months after I'd sold it) that mine was the very bass used on[i] Too Shy [/i]by Kajagoogoo. :)[/quote]
So from that list the main difference between Wal and say some reletively unknown guy producing quality pieces from his own small operation is... endorsement.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1342814' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:10 AM']So from that list the main difference between Wal and say some reletively unknown guy producing quality pieces from his own small operation is... endorsement.[/quote]
No I'd say it's points 2 and 3.

The unknown guys basses may also have these features but they won't be the same. That's why some people choose one and some the other.

Owned two. Sold two. Well built (both), but sounded terrible. Agree that the electrics offer lots of options, but that's somewhat pointless when the output from the pickups is all honk. Wouldn't have another one even if it were free.

And agree about the Akai. You could also add the DigiTech Bass Whammy to the list.

I too have wondered why they dont seem to have been hit like other basses, there are some fantastic basses Musicman's etc going for prices almost within my reach!

I am saving as I do want a Wal, I have played a MK I, and I was not that taken by it, but........I only had 5 mins with it, was not comfortable and did not even get a chance to tweak the settings etc.

I want a MKII, in fact, I NEED one lol and one day I will have them, I did wonder if the fact that Paul is building them again, would the used market drop at all, but it has not been affected.

I am a total Tone chaser, obssessed with Justins Chancellors Tone, I have been told its the player, not the gear, but there are a couple of guys on the tube, that use Wal's, and nail the sound!

I also think they look utterly georgeous, I will probably get flamed but I dont think a P or J bass looks "special" as there are so many clones, Stingrays and sterlings looks special, and for the most part are recognisable.

I also think the Wal has a pretty good list of pro/known players compared to other "boutique basses" from what I can see - maybe that is keeping the price high, along with the fact, they dont really seem to come up for sale that often!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1342928' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:33 AM']I've never seen one that looks good so I have gone no further.[/quote]

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but this is my dream and it makes me sex-wee! :)

[attachment=87249:g_17_91.jpg]

Edited by blind pilot

I've played loads of them. I've also owned one, a Custom with walnut facings. I px'd my Pedulla MVP for it (it sounded fabulous in the shop and I was looking for a change) but regretted it as soon as I played it in the band.

It sounded, well, like a Wal. I think they have a very disinctive tone, although obviously they don't all sound exactly the same. If you listen to Flea on BSSM, then listen to Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow, although the tones aren't the same, "that" sound is (IMO) instantly recognisable (and that's allowing for the fact that Flea usd an active custom and Leigh used a passive Pro - it's in the pickups! :) ). I loved playing it at home but I could never get the sound to sit well in any band context I used it in. Build quality was good, but I've seen better. The ergonomics on mine didn't really suit me. I could never get it set up right, and after selling it it turned out that the fingerboard wasn't level; the new owner sent it off for a refurb sometime later and they had to redo and refret. It was a nice bass, but not in my top ten or 15 that I've owned.

So yes, I was disappointed. However that shouldn't put anyone off who wants one. Forearm contour aside, I'd still love an early Pro (big Leigh G fanboy here :) ). And if someone gave me a Custom 'd certainly find a place for it. Individual instruments will differ (same as with any other make), and even if it's a small difference it may be enough for you. If they work for you (see Bilbo's post) then they work; whether they work for me or not matters not a jot. Everyone has a different requirement and a different idea of perfection. If they didn't, wouldn't it all be dull? I know what works for me (well sometimes!), but I don't know what works for anyone else! And of course it could be that the next one I play will blow me away...who knows? The nicest Custom I've played was one with flame maple facings that was in the Gallery. The nicest Wal all-round was a ProIIE. And I'm jealous about the Too Shy bass; my favourite finish too!

Edited by 4000

I had one for a few years and can see the point of view of people who swear by them, but everyone's different and mine didn't speak to me the way my J and P basses have since, but it may just have been mine - It's the only one I've ever played. I also didn't need the flexibility the preamp offered - I'm set and forget. I definitely don't think they're worth the current pricetag, but that's just personal opinion based on my own experience. You never know though - I could play another one tomorrow and be willing to re-mortgage the house for it!

I've only ever owned one (a Mark1 Pro), but with that one recording was a dream. Just plug the thing in and quality. :)

I never quite got on with the neck though, too clubby for me. But that might have been cos my previous bass was a 68 Jazz with the fastest neck I've ever played.

The nearest thing I've got to GAS these days is for a fretless Wal, though. :)

Just the other side of the fence...
I owned a Wal Custom 4-string as my second bass. Bought from the Bass Centre for £900-ish as at the age of 14 I wanted to be Geddy Lee from Rush (don't ask). I traded it for a Status 5-string (number 5). Many years later I bought a 5-string Custom mkIII directly from Pete. He was/is a lovely guy and I had immense respect for their operation but really don't like the basses themselves. You can't fault the craftmanship but I have serious issues with the design, ergonomics and sound. All the Wals I've tried have been mega-heavy and even the mkIII had terrible balance. The neck feels horrible to me, and the tone sounds t hin and weedy. I appreciate the custom eq but it never seemed to do much and most of the interesting bits were in the last 5mm of travel of the tone controls. I recorded a fair bit with both and the pick attack did very little in a mix.

That said we all have our preferences. I do have to laugh at the prices they go for nowadays and really struggle to see what the price is for - standard top and back laminates, bolt on neck and good quality finishing (but no better than a Indonesian Lakland, for example). I hope they fixed the bridge/tailpiece as a .120 B-string ball-end would not fit into the slot of the mkII I had!
If I had £3K+ to spend I can think of a long list of basses I'd rather own.

I guess the weight thing is lost on me as I haven't really played anything else for so long. But, on the other hand, I have also never finished a gig thinking 'oooo! Me poor shoulder(s)'. I am 6'1'' so that may have some bearing on it but, as I said, the weight thing is a non-issue for me. I always think things like neck profile only matter for about an hour and lots of the 'playability' stuff is about working with what you have rather than expecting an 'off the peg' players dream. For the record, the set up on my Wal is entirely stock and it has only been in a workshop twice: once with Pete The Fish (when he built it) and once with Paul Herman. The last 'visit' was pre-Millenium, IIRC. It fits me perfectly and I can reach every note on it, there are no bits digging in, the bridge is perfick, as are the machine heads, the pick-up and the pots. I nornally put it in a gig bag in tune and take it out still in tune.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1343181' date='Aug 17 2011, 02:40 PM']This[/quote]

I like the blue on in the gallery on their website. The deal breaker for me is the circuit and the v contour of the neck - just feels really alien to my hands. String spacing and the like I can adjust to but that neck is a step too far. As for the circuit, I'm sure I could coax some great sounds out of it and no doubt it would be a great studio bass where you have the time to get your settings... but if you are playing live and need to say, up a little mids, I don't really want a wah pedal as my eq! Perhaps this is something you get used to in time... but with my time with a Wal, it just seemed a little... well, complex... for little advantage if any.

Headstock on a Wal four, to me at least, is about as grim as they come... but the 5 headstock... well, I've always thought that was a bit of a looker.

Always wanted a Wal after seeing Macca with one - and especially when there was the Beatles reunion thing with "Free as a Bird" on which I belive he played his Wal. Thing is, the lust didn't match the experience :) Whether they are worth the money... well, if you want a Wal, you will pay your price. To me, I wouldn't pay that money... but then again, they aren't my thing anymore.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1343075' date='Aug 17 2011, 01:28 PM']I guess the weight thing is lost on me as I haven't really played anything else for so long. But, on the other hand, I have also never finished a gig thinking 'oooo! Me poor shoulder(s)'. I am 6'1'' so that may have some bearing on it but, as I said, the weight thing is a non-issue for me. I always think things like neck profile only matter for about an hour and lots of the 'playability' stuff is about working with what you have rather than expecting an 'off the peg' players dream. For the record, the set up on my Wal is entirely stock and it has only been in a workshop twice: once with Pete The Fish (when he built it) and once with Paul Herman. The last 'visit' was pre-Millenium, IIRC. It fits me perfectly and I can reach every note on it, there are no bits digging in, the bridge is perfick, as are the machine heads, the pick-up and the pots. I nornally put it in a gig bag in tune and take it out still in tune.[/quote]

The weight varies quite a bit. I've played some absolute boat anchors and some that neck dive like crazy, but mine balanced ok and was a reasonable weight; 9lbs give or take so no problem there at the time (walnut facings on mine). However I once played a wenge-faced one that outweighed a Mastodon.

FWIW I'm six foot and weight used to be a non-issue for me too....until the discs went.....