Why become a member? ×

What is it about Wal's.....?

edstraker123

The one thing that really makes Wal basses is the tone. Because for years there was nothing else like it. Even Alembic's filter preamps didn't sound like a Wal.

And let's face it, they weren't purchased for their impeccable build quality. I've seen some beauties and I've seen a few that were a little rough. I remember looking at one particular fretted MK1 which was noticeably a bit shoddy. Rough patches beneath the finish were obvious and it spoiled it a bit for me. And remember that a few years ago they were thought of as terribly dated and unfashionable basses, the choice of the pub covers band bassist who thought he was a bit special.

The irony being that they became incredibly sought after when it looked like there would be no more, and made popular by Justin Chancellor who could be playing a Squier for all we know, given his love of effects and processing! The great shame is that the new ones are being pumped out at frankly ridiculous prices (which is a bit of a low ball cash in for me).

Anyway, back to what makes them unique: the sound. With the prevalence of new filter preamps they don't occupy that unique territory now. My ACG is not a million miles from the basic Wal idea. Mahogany body, maple
neck, big Humbucker pickups and a filter based preamp. It sounds so much like a Wal out of the box that it cooled my search for a Wal considerably. I'd have bought one before now were it not for that bass. If I closed my eyes, I'd struggle to tell the difference unless I was fiddling with the controls. My bass wasn't created with the intention of making a Walnin ACG clothing, it's just those woods, those humbuckers and that preamp have resulted in a sound that was once exclusively 'Wal'.

For me, it's the sound, the playability, and the look/style of them, particularly the Mk1 and mk2, not at all keen on the mk3 shape though, looks too much like any other boutique bass on the market in my book. I'll stick with my 1982 Mk1, I got it for £750 about 7 years or so back, before the prices went uber-stupid. :)