Why become a member? ×

covers bands, untouchable basslines

lojo

For those that play covers, are there any classic songs which have basslines you'd love to play but would decline for fear of not doing a good enough job

For example, id love to play "hit me with your rhythm stick" and "forget me knots"

In the past i've agreed to play lines that I thought might be beyond me, but with practice i've pulled them off to everyones satisfaction, but the issue is still there

Anyone else have this ?

Edited by lojo

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='lojo' post='1336542' date='Aug 11 2011, 03:35 PM']For those that play covers, are there any classic songs which have basslines you'd love to play but would decline for fear of not doing a good enough job[/quote]

Aeroplane, chilli peppers.

I get annoyed when I see players in cover band murdering good songs, not because they cant play well enough but because they obviously havnt bothered to actually sit down and listen properly to the song and just jamming somthing out memory of hearing the song on TV or something. All right now is a classic example - I've yet to see anyone play the bassline properly especially the outro bits.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1336743' date='Aug 11 2011, 05:21 PM']Aeroplane, chilli peppers.

I get annoyed when I see players in cover band murdering good songs, not because they cant play well enough but because they obviously havnt bothered to actually sit down and listen properly to the song and just jamming somthing out memory of hearing the song on TV or something. All right now is a classic example - I've yet to see anyone play the bassline properly especially the outro bits.[/quote]

whops...

I hope you're not near Galashiels tomorrow night, where the Richt Hoat Chillis will be playing :)

(we do make more of an effort than just playing from memory, 'though :) )

I cant slap properly so any of those type of bass lines ill avoid.

My main problem with leaning bass lines is actually hearing them. In a big complicated mix i sometime shave trouble picking out the bass line, let alone learning it

We hardly ever learn new songs though, shame as i need a challenge.

Edited by dave_bass5

we play all right now and i spent ages listening again and again to the outro bit...

when the band suggested 'club tropicana' by wham I nearly called a cab but when I listened to it, the bassline is v v cool and took some time to work out and then sound slick, I love playing it now.

'my generation' has been mentioned and so has 'you can call me al'...am always up for a challenge!

I'm still looking for a dream theater song we can use as the first in the second set to get people's attention back...

Since you been gone, hotel California by the way. Off the top of my head.

What annoys me about certain band members: they suggest songs they like .
They get impatient when you haven't mastered. the whole song .

They don't realise how some songs on bass are more than. Root notes.
Then the singer or guitarist Bodge it live , then expect me to tune down...

Just remembered sweet child of mine, and any foo fighters

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='andydye' post='1337337' date='Aug 12 2011, 10:31 AM']we play all right now and i spent ages listening again and again to the outro bit...

when the band suggested 'club tropicana' by wham I nearly called a cab but when I listened to it, the bassline is v v cool and took some time to work out and then sound slick, I love playing it now.

'my generation' has been mentioned and so has 'you can call me al'...am always up for a challenge!

I'm still looking for a dream theater song we can use as the first in the second set to get people's attention back...[/quote]

Withers not too tough (on bass)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1337330' date='Aug 12 2011, 10:27 AM']I cant slap properly so any of those type of bass lines ill avoid.

My main problem with leaning bass lines is actually hearing them. In a big complicated mix i sometime shave trouble picking out the bass line, let alone learning it[/quote]

Absolutely agree with you.

Really gets my goat when other band members say something like "well, it's not that difficult it's just the bass line". Being able to hear for a start would help.

And I don't slap either.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1337793' date='Aug 12 2011, 03:43 PM']Absolutely agree with you.

Really gets my goat when other band members say something like "well, it's not that difficult it's just the bass line". Being able to hear for a start would help.

And I don't slap either.[/quote]

To be honest im the only one in my band that even gets close to playing a song as it should be, and its me that pushes for new songs so im in a different postilion to most of us. Its normally me that says "why not play it like the record" etc.

You should hear some of the crap my guitarist comes out with when we first try a new song :)

For my current covers band we stick pretty close to the original versions. However I used to be in a band that did mostly original material with a handful of covers thrown in. Since they would tend to decide in the middle of a rehearsal immediately before a gig that a particular song would be a good one to cover and half the time I'd never even heard of the song the the other half I'd have a passing familiarity with the basic tune but that would be it. Therefore I tended to view these covers as if they were original songs that the rest of the band had written and just play something that I thought fitted. It gave some interesting results and occasionally I was in for a shock when I finally got to hear the original either how close my made up bassline was or how it had almost nothing in common with what the original bassist had played.

[quote name='charic' post='1337706' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:45 PM']Withers not too tough (on bass)[/quote]

I don't mind it being tricky, I love wither, it would help if it kinda fit with wedding evening do's though...(should've mentioned that before :) )

Where possible, I like to stick as closely to the recorded version as I can. Having said that, the band that I'm currently in play some songs differently for many reasons i.e. poor memory, the drummer can't do this etc. When people have been playing a song for many years, no matter how incorrectly, it's almost impossible to get them to change, old dogs and new tricks, you know the thing.