Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle

neilb

It's odd how little he'd discussed round these parts isn't it Neil? Probably a fare more innovative and influential player than a lot of those players cited more frequently in those contexts? I remember seeing him explaining his rig to an unwary interviewer and seeing the interviewer visibly flinch when JE played the first note :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1284181' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:58 PM']Another one of those bass players I largely ignored until I matured as a musician (is that possible? :) ) and only more recently discovered how great he actually was[/quote]

+ the large one!

I think he was the inspiration for a lot of players to pick up the bass (I am one of them). Pushing and crossing boundaries he has changed the way a lot of people approach the bass, a great innovator. Miss him, I am going to watch The Ox's Tale DVD and raise a glass to him tonight. Then let it rip.

Edited by John Schoen

If I could choose to play like one bassist, and one bassist alone, it would definitely be him. He's not the reason I started playing bass, but he's definitely the standard to which I aspire (an unachievable goal of course, but one can dream :) ), and is one of my top five favourite bassists. I was playing along to "Live At Leeds" last night, and I just couldn't keep up lol. :) R.I.P.

If you're looking for a challenge, do yourselves a favour and buy this guys, it's a great book and for good measure it's got both versions of The Real Me. It's one of the few bass tab books that I'm never going to sell

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/the-john-entwistle-bass-book.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/the-john...-bass-book.html[/url]

Chris