Why become a member? ×

Lesson in bass playing...

EBS_freak

[quote name='silddx' post='1277007' date='Jun 21 2011, 01:21 PM']All this sh*t can happen to all of us at some point.[/quote]

Of course it can, and does.
I should think it is how quick you get your self out of the situation,
Some do it very quickly, others take... well, for ever.

To me the whole thing/band/performance sounds horrible from start to the train wreck at the end.

Garry

[quote name='Doddy' post='1277015' date='Jun 21 2011, 01:24 PM']That's just shocking.
I've got to point out a couple of things.....First of all,you can clearly see her tune up
in between 'Crazy' and ' f*** You'-that obviously didn't work. [b]Secondly,if she couldn't
hear what was happening why was she standing [i]in front[/i] of the monitors for a large
part of the song?[/b] Finally,she claims to not be able to see her tuner.....her pedal board is
clearly in the shade of the monitor and will be easier to see than if it was out in the open.
As that was the last song,I have to wonder if it was that bad throughout the rest of the set-
in which case she should have heard it long before-or if it all happened during her pre song
'tune up'?[/quote]

I said this earlier and couldn't agree more.

I do feel for the band & the bassist for having such a bad gig, but the reasons in the statement do sound like a lame excuse. I'm not saying they are, but they don't tie in with that video at all).
Maybe the statement was in relation to another gig that went wrong?

I feel bad for her, I've had gigs where it all goes t*ts up -- usually for some stupid, avoidable reason -- but either you don't know till after or there's nothing you can do about it so you just have to go on like nothings wrong and hope people don't notice. I think this is what she tried to do, she strikes me as being rather professional but then I suppose I don't know her, so it's only speculation. Also, sometimes it's a lot tougher to hear yourself on those big stages than some people here seem to think.

For me, after something like that, you just want to hide behind your amp and cry. Luckily I have a big rig so I can get away with this. :)

[quote name='lowdown' post='1277029' date='Jun 21 2011, 01:34 PM']To me the whole thing/band/performance sounds horrible from start to the train wreck at the end.[/quote]

Me too. I'm no fan of C-Lo, but I have to admit that he did a reasonable job of salvaging a terrible situation.

I think a lot of people who weren't standing in her shoes at that exact moment are jumping the conclusion that she's an idiot.

None of us were actually there in the minutes leading up to her walking out on stage. None of us know [i]exactly[/i] what she was hearing at the time.

I don't know either, but I'd be surprised if she was just downright incompetent at that sort of level.

[quote name='silddx' post='1277007' date='Jun 21 2011, 01:21 PM']All this sh*t can happen to all of us at some point.[/quote]
You're wrong, of course. This kind of total travesty has never happened to me. Why? because every time I sit on the end of my bed and pick up my bass, I check my tuning. It's easy enough, red means out, green means in.

I mean, she's a professional, she should know this. Red = out, green = in. Anyone who doesn't know this should be shot in the face before they get anywhere near a stage.

When I saw this total travesty I immediately voided my bowels in disapproval. I mean, she's a professional. Her fee [i]could[/i] have paid for a new hospital. Or at least a paediatric unit. Basically she's just pissing in the face of dying children. I hope she comes on here and sees this and goes away and cuts her hands off so we never have to listen to this sort of total travesty again.

Unbelievable. I mean, if she couldn't see the board for the sunshine, she should have signalled to the parasol roadie to get his arse over her side PDf***ingQ.

I mean, she's a professional, ffs. It's a total travesty. Green = out, red = in. So simple, even a woman could understand it. God, I love Jaco.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1277182' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']You're wrong, of course. This kind of total travesty has never happened to me. Why? because every time I sit on the end of my bed and pick up my bass, I check my tuning. It's easy enough, red means out, green means in.

I mean, she's a professional, she should know this. Red = out, green = in. [b]Anyone who doesn't know this should be shot in the face before they get anywhere near a stage.[/b]

When I saw this total travesty I immediately voided my bowels in disapproval. I mean, she's a professional. Her fee [i]could[/i] have paid for a new hospital. Or at least a paediatric unit. Basically she's just pissing in the face of dying children. I hope she comes on here and sees this and goes away and cuts her hands off so we never have to listen to this sort of total travesty again.

Unbelievable. I mean, if she couldn't see the board for the sunshine, she should have signalled to the parasol roadie to get his arse over her side PDf***ingQ.

I mean, she's a professional, ffs. It's a total travesty. Green = out, red = in. So simple, even a woman could understand it. God, I love Jaco.[/quote]
I love you... :) :) :lol:

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1277182' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']You're wrong, of course. This kind of total travesty has never happened to me. Why? because every time I sit on the end of my bed and pick up my bass, I check my tuning. It's easy enough, red means out, green means in.

I mean, she's a professional, she should know this. Red = out, green = in. Anyone who doesn't know this should be shot in the face before they get anywhere near a stage.

I mean, she's a professional, ffs. It's a total travesty. Green = out, red = in. So simple, even a woman could understand it. God, I love Jaco.[/quote]
:) as always!

[b]
I mean, she's a professional, ffs. It's a total travesty. Green = out, red = in. So simple, even a woman could understand it. God, I love Jaco.[/b][/quote]

:)

Lol..... Out there dude...

Garry

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1277182' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']I mean, if she couldn't see the board for the sunshine, she should have signalled to the parasol roadie to get his arse over her side PDf***ingQ.[/quote]

I love the image that this comment creates in my head... :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1277182' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']You're wrong, of course. This kind of total travesty has never happened to me. Why? because [b]every time I sit on the end of my bed and pick up my bass, I check my tuning[/b]. It's easy enough, red means out, green means in.[/quote]

Hands up, it happened to me. I started playing - without checking my tuning - at 4.30 this morning, and the neighbours started banging on the wall. So it's not just bass players who notice these things.

[quote name='ras52' post='1277274' date='Jun 21 2011, 04:31 PM']Hands up, it happened to me. I started playing - without checking my tuning - at 4.30 this morning, and the neighbours started banging on the wall. So it's not just bass players who notice these things.[/quote]
your first mistake was clearly not enough volume. would have drowned out the banging.

Did a gig in Sankt Polten 2006 with[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGfp-UsCIUo"] these 'erberts[/url]. We were in Moenchengladbach the night before, so had to fly from Dusseldorf to Vienna the next day.
We had plenty of time...or, so we thought, till the German airline (can't remember which) cancelled our flight!!!
After much discussion and raised voices, we were transferred to another flight. Our gear and 2 drivers were at the gig, unfortunately the rest of our crew were with us :)

We landed at Vienna and jumped into the awaiting bus.

En-route Phone calls were made to get the drivers to unload and, at least, get the gear onto the backstage area. In the meantime we are getting changed into our stage clothes while doing 130+kph along the autobahn.

We arrive at the "Lovely Days" festival 10 minutes into our set time. The crew throw the gear on stage and plug up.

The punters had been informed of our predicament... it was a case of "will they? won't they?" We walk on stage about 20 minutes late to an unbelievable reception and go down a storm.

Know what? [b]I still managed to tune up before the first song.[/b]

BTW I'd like to say that we blew those 'erberts off stage...but that order is just a little too tall. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1276970' date='Jun 21 2011, 12:56 PM']:)

Of course, it's the same for her as it is for you at the Twat & Buttplug.

Have you never had some sh*t happen to you or another band member on stage? Have you always given a perfect performance?[/quote]

I would love to do a gig at a venue called the Twat and Buttplug!!

absolute genius! couldnt take the thread seriously after pi**ng myself laughing at that name :)

nice one :lol: made my day!

[quote name='longtimefred' post='1277368' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:22 PM']I would love to do a gig at a venue called the Twat and Buttplug!!

absolute genius! couldnt take the thread seriously after pi**ng myself laughing at that name :)

nice one :) made my day![/quote]
Lesbian Bed Death at the Twat and Butt Plug. Has a certain "ring" to it.

Brilliant! :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='1277354' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:14 PM']Did a gig in Sankt Polten 2006 with[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGfp-UsCIUo"] these 'erberts[/url]. We were in Moenchengladbach the night before, so had to fly from Dusseldorf to Vienna the next day.
We had plenty of time...or, so we thought, till the German airline (can't remember which) cancelled our flight!!!
After much discussion and raised voices, we were transferred to another flight. Our gear and 2 drivers were at the gig, unfortunately the rest of our crew were with us :)

We landed at Vienna and jumped into the awaiting bus.

En-route Phone calls were made to get the drivers to unload and, at least, get the gear onto the backstage area. In the meantime we are getting changed into our stage clothes while doing 130+kph along the autobahn.

We arrive at the "Lovely Days" festival 10 minutes into our set time. The crew throw the gear on stage and plug up.

The punters had been informed of our predicament... it was a case of "will they? won't they?" We walk on stage about 20 minutes late to an unbelievable reception and go down a storm.

Know what? [b]I still managed to tune up before the first song.[/b]

BTW I'd like to say that we blew those 'erberts off stage...but that order is just a little too tall. :)[/quote]

Dude you know I didn't read your post properly and thought for a moment you were Pino Palladino, then wondered why your BC name was Steve, boy do I feel silly :lol: