Why become a member? ×

Bladder Control

Pete Academy

My band had our first gig last saturday. I don't think I've visited the loo so many times within such a short period of time in my life :)

However, I can't remember going or wanting to go after we started.

I was talking to a good friend of mine who came to watch us, he's the singer in another band. At the last gig they did at our local boozer, he said the drummer and lead guitarist downed tools and walked off to the loo halfway through the first set. He said he was dumbfounded, 'it was a low point for the band from which they are still recovering'.

Not pee related but I did a gig a while back while just coming to the end of a nasty chest infection. I had to have a sick bag on the stage, hanging on a guitar stand. I didn't actually need it but had my head over it quite a few times mid song.

I threw up right until we went on stage, played, came off, threw up for twenty minutes, went back on, played came off, threw up and went home.

Bowel issues over here. Unless the venue has decent bogs I basically feel the need to go (usually at gigs, but counts for pretty much any situation, especially on coaches or boats). In fact just thinking about it now....

..Whoops, I better 'log off'

ped

As with ped its bowels with me too. I call them "adrenaline poos", always have to have a right turf out before a gig or any situation where a bit of nerves is required. They are not crippling, (the nerves not the poo!) just a little sharpener to the edge. I always get them & would probably feel weirder if I wasn't a bit nervous. Always go for a slash in between if we do two sets though. Could always wear yer bass a bit lower to cover any embarassing leakage or splash back issues!
Cheers,
Norm.

Abd the award for the 2011 'Basschatter that starts the most weird threads the most' - Its PETE ACADEMY (cue thunderous applause.....)

Sorry, peeps. I often leave home and do not need the toilet until I get home 6 hours later. I am, of course, an android and do not drink liquids.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1273471' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:17 AM']Abd the award for the 2011 'Basschatter that starts the most weird threads the most' - Its PETE ACADEMY (cue thunderous applause.....)

Sorry, peeps. I often leave home and do not need the toilet until I get home 6 hours later. I am, of course, an android and do not drink liquids.[/quote]

:) These are serious issues.

Avoid diuretic drinks - tea, coffee, orange juice, berrocca and of course, alcohol for some time before the gig, but also, impoprtantly, make sure you are well hydrated during the day.

My day job is gardening and not everywhere I work has a convenient tree to go behind, so I often go from about 8.30 to 5 without peeing, but if I have any of the above i.e. a large gin for breakfast, I'm in trouble and have to find a friendly supermarket by lunchtime.

[quote name='Norm' post='1273413' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:08 AM']As with ped its bowels with me too. I call them "adrenaline poos", always have to have a right turf out before a gig or any situation where a bit of nerves is required. They are not crippling, (the nerves not the poo!) just a little sharpener to the edge. I always get them & would probably feel weirder if I wasn't a bit nervous. Always go for a slash in between if we do two sets though. Could always wear yer bass a bit lower to cover any embarassing leakage or splash back issues!
Cheers,
Norm.[/quote]

I finally have a name for the condition! - I used to suffer really badly with the ehem...'Adrenaline Poo' and like Ped, if a venue didn't have the facilities to accomodate, it'd just make the situation worse. Last few gigs I hadn't given it a second thought to be honest. Maybe I'm cured!

The whole 'need to go' thing when getting ready to play a gig is strongly linked to the natural 'flight or fight' response we have within us and the effect it has on your body. As I understand it, your subconscious senses that you are getting nervy, maybe anxious/ adrenaline starts kicking in. It can't 'see' what is happening so prepares the body for action - it then sidelines other 'functions' to divert energy to what it thinks you'll need to survive. I can't say exactly why it happens, but the side effect for some, one way or another is the errr, how shall we say 'loosening of the bowel'.. Which is where the phrase 'sh*t scared' comes from, I think.

Many have found that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can clear up these 'urge to go' by safely reteaching your subconscious mind to not get in a tiz like an over zealous guard dog everytime you do something that gets the anxiety levels up a bit!

[quote name='Marvin' post='1273248' date='Jun 17 2011, 09:47 PM']My band had our first gig last saturday. I don't think I've visited the loo so many times within such a short period of time in my life :)

However, I can't remember going or wanting to go after we started.

I was talking to a good friend of mine who came to watch us, he's the singer in another band. At the last gig they did at our local boozer, he said the drummer and lead guitarist downed tools and walked off to the loo halfway through the first set. He said he was dumbfounded, 'it was a low point for the band from which they are still recovering'.[/quote]

Playing in a bar with the Richt Hoat Chillis, tha singer was dying to relieve himself, so as a longish instrumental part with a gitar solo was coming up, he jumped out and went into the gents... followed by the guitarist, still playing (wireless), as a joke.
People found it funny and still remember us :)