Why become a member? ×

POLL! Who uses a hard case for gigs, and who uses a gig bag?

Evil Undead

I am always hard. In the house they are stored in hard cases cos of kids and pets. They are easier to stack and more secure if on the floor. En route to gigs its hard too. I am so paranoid that even at the gig i do a soundcheck and then return the bass to its case and only get it out 5 minutes before playing. The moment we finish - back in the case.

All 3..depending on the gig and the transport.
If I am flying, then flight case, no question. If we load up a van with other kit, I'll get out the hard cases.
If I am driving myself and therefore I load everything....gig bags.

I once worked with a very snobby musician who told me he looked down on bands who use gigbags!?! :) Crazy! Personally I mainly use hard cases but do have a gig bag for my Jazz. Gigging it's always the hard cases though. That said my double bass is in a bag! It's never simple! :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1266806' date='Jun 12 2011, 11:30 PM']I once worked with a very snobby musician who told me he looked down on bands who use gigbags!?! :) Crazy![/quote]

So obviously players like Marcus Miller,Tom Kennedy,Victor Wooten,Billy Sheehan,Janek Gwizdala and Mark White
(amongst many others) who carry their,often expensive instruments in gig bags are looked down on then.

:)

My Hiscox has plenty of room for bits and bobs... as well as my bass, I also fit in a tuner, cable, a kettle lead, a spare set of strings, a Markbass Bass Keeper, a Zoom H2 recorder, a multi-tool and a spare pre-amp valve.

I don't think I could go back to a soft case or gig bag.

[quote name='Dubs' post='1266976' date='Jun 13 2011, 09:34 AM']Lighter, easier to carry, generally smaller in size, etc...[/quote]
I don't agree, but then I generally don't have to carry my bass very far. It's usually house > car > destination > car > house.

I suppose if I had a lot of walking to do, I'd rather have it on my back.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1266991' date='Jun 13 2011, 09:42 AM']I don't agree, but then I generally don't have to carry my bass very far. It's usually house > car > destination > car > house.

I suppose if I had a lot of walking to do, I'd rather have it on my back.[/quote]

Same situation for me. I generally carry mine over my shoulder - it has a holdall kind of strap as well as rucksack straps that zip away. It gives me a free hand and also makes it easier to carry when you can't park right outside the venue, i.e. it's lighter and easier to carry than a hardcase.

My gigbag is smaller than a hardcase though - there's nothing to agree or disagree with about that. Maybe only slightly, but it's the difference between it being able to fit on the back seat of a Corsa or having to be squeezed down into the rear passenger foot space, if you get what I mean.

It's just my experience though. I couldn't see the point of using a hardcase after I got a good gigbag.