Why become a member? ×

The fabled 1-cab solution - holy grail?

solo4652

Folks,

I'm trying to rationalise my ever-growing collection of combos and cabs into a 1-cab solution that does everything. Here's what I currently have:

Home practice: 75w Line 6 110 studio combo which stays at home
Rehearsals: 160w SWR Workingman pro combo which stays at the rehearsal room
Pub gigs: 330w Roland Dbass 115 combo
Bigger gigs: 330w Roland combo + 330w matched extension speaker

They all do a good job in their own ways but I'm tying up quite a bit of capital in these amps, some of which (eg the Roland Dbass 115x extension cab) are used pretty infrequently. Also, I get confused switching between the different amps and I end up forever twiddling with the settings of whichever rig I'm using at the time.

Ideally, I'd like to sell all of them and put together a rig that is small, lightweight, portable and capable of coping with all the situations above. But, the more I research possible solutions the more confused I get. I'm also concerned that I'll end up with something that's too loud for home practice but not loud enough for larger gigs like 250 guest weddings and (local) open-air summer festivals.

What should I do? Stick with what I've got since I can cope with most forseeable playing situations, or sell the lot and invest in, say, a Barefaced Compact (or Super Twelve?) with a suitable lightweight head and accept that it represents an all-round compromise?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

i wouldn't worry about something being 'too loud' for home practice. surely, that's what a volume control is for? my 'practice' rig is the size of me...it's also my only rig.

i would leave the SWR combo at the rehearsal room, as it saves you having to lug something there. a lightweight 2x12 or 2x15 with a head should sort you for everything else, i'd imagine.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1261157' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:26 PM']What should I do? Stick with what I've got since I can cope with most forseeable playing situations, or sell the lot and invest in, say, a Barefaced Compact (or Super Twelve?) with a suitable lightweight head and accept that it represents an all-round compromise?

Steve[/quote]

The above seems like an ideal solution. I`ve got an Ampeg PF-500 500 watt head (at 4 ohms) and an Eden Nemesis 410 cab (8 ohms) and I can use it at home no worries, it will go quiet enough, but there`s also enough power for anywhere I`m likely to play, up to the point with external pa`s etc.

Maybe get a small 15 or 25 watt combo for home use, save setting up/breaking down your rig all the time, but with the gear thats available now, one rig will certainly do all, if researched, and am sure a Barefaced will easily do it, from what I`ve read on here.

As has been pointed out, most will recommend the gear they use, but this really, more than shows the amount of equipment out there that will do the job your after. I think bassists have got the better deal nowadays.

Edited by Lozz196

I've been using a Schroeder 1212r with a LMII for years now, never had volume issues and it's always done a great job despite being so small.
It's important to realise that everybody will just recommend what they use though!

You might want to have a chat with Mr. Claber about what would suit your requirements, i'm sure he could give you great advice about what would suit you.
The Barefaced 2x12 looks good.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1261218' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:13 PM']I've been using a Schroeder 1212r with a LMII for years now, never had volume issues and it's always done a great job despite being so small.
It's important to realise that everybody will just recommend what they use though![/quote]
I use a 1212L (like a 1212R, but neo speakers) for rehearsals & gigs - can't see myself ever needing another amp or cab - sounds great and is tiny, light & loud

In helping you further with this, it would be good to know what styles of music you play, a rough budget, what basses you use and whether you are strong enough to haul conventional cabs around or would prefer the smaller lighter gear that is now available, albeit at extra cost.

Ahead of this, I would generalise that you should get a powerful head (400-500w), a small cab and a larger cab. You then have to decide on whether the larger cab is at 4ohms so you extract maximum power from the amp or 8ohms leaving you the option of using both cabs together for your biggest gigs. I also agree with keeping the SWR at your rehearsal room.

The answers to the questions above should help us suggest actual gear for you to go try out.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1261218' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:13 PM']I've been using a Schroeder 1212r with a LMII for years now, never had volume issues and it's always done a great job despite being so small.
It's important to realise that everybody will just recommend what they use though!

You might want to have a chat with Mr. Claber about what would suit your requirements, i'm sure he could give you great advice about what would suit you.
The Barefaced 2x12 looks good.[/quote]

Yes - I've exchanged numerous emails with Alex and he's been very patient and helpful.

[quote name='PTB' post='1261232' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:29 PM']In helping you further with this, it would be good to know what styles of music you play, a rough budget, what basses you use and whether you are strong enough to haul conventional cabs around or would prefer the smaller lighter gear that is now available, albeit at extra cost.

Ahead of this, I would generalise that you should get a powerful head (400-500w), a small cab and a larger cab. You then have to decide on whether the larger cab is at 4ohms so you extract maximum power from the amp or 8ohms leaving you the option of using both cabs together for your biggest gigs. I also agree with keeping the SWR at your rehearsal room.

The answers to the questions above should help us suggest actual gear for you to go try out.[/quote]

I play in a 5-piece (2 guitars) pub/functions band. 60/40 spilt between covers and originals. We play all sorts of venues including local pubs, weddings (200 people ish), local music festivals (might be on outdoor stage). At my age, I don't want to haul heavy stuff around - I definitely want portability. Budget is £800 ish. I'm open to a combo, or head + cab. My main basses are a USA G&L 2000 and a USA P.

Edited by solo4652

Do you have no PA support for those larger gigs? This is, to me, the critical question.

I use a Hartke A35 for home and acoustic practices. Very small but decent low end and I'd recommend to all as a practice amp.

I always gig with PA support so extension cabs and a large amp are completely unnecessary since the amp is effectively a preamp for the PA and the cab is just for on-stage monitoring.

Dan

PS. I have a rather successful sound engineer friend who always complained about bassists bringing amps that were too loud (incidentally he suggested anything over 150w was too loud)

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1261247' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:41 PM']Do you have no PA support for those larger gigs? This is, to me, the critical question.

I use a Hartke A35 for home and acoustic practices. Very small but decent low end and I'd recommend to all as a practice amp.

I always gig with PA support so extension cabs and a large amp are completely unnecessary since the amp is effectively a preamp for the PA and the cab is just for on-stage monitoring.

Dan

PS. I have a rather successful sound engineer friend who always complained about bassists bringing amps that were too loud (incidentally he suggested anything over 150w was too loud)[/quote]

I can't depend on PA support for the larger gigs. So far, I've never played through a desk - I've always been self-contained and I quite like that.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1261255' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:45 PM']I can't depend on PA support for the larger gigs. So far, I've never played through a desk - I've always been self-contained and I quite like that.[/quote]

In that case I guess you've actually got it pretty good. Short of replacing your Rolands with two Neo cabs and a lightweight head, I think I'd do it similarly.

I have the Hartke for home, an old Marshall combo for rehearsal and a Markbass / TechSoundsystems for Live. Pretty similar in approach to you.

Yes, the PA point is very relevant. If you were to go through the PA, this immediately relegates your amp to being your monitor which means you need a smaller rig for those big gigs too. This is my preference as very loud stage volume (enough to fill a large room) is usually a problem for most of my gigs. I recognise that you need a good engineer and a PA with bass bins for this to work properly.

So if it were me, I would sell everything apart from the SWR and buy a small powerful head and cabs as per my previous post. What to get? I don't have a wide experience with amps but I enjoy the very different flavours that my Mark Bass and Gallien-Krueger amps provide. I suggest seeing if there are some BCers near you with appropriate gear who would give you the chance to play through them. Good luck!

I'd go with either a small head (such as Markbass, Genz Benz etc) & a Barefaced (or similar) or a decent combo & just use it for everything.
Using different gear for different venues only results in inconsistent sounds.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1261611' date='Jun 8 2011, 06:51 PM']I'd go with either a small head (such as Markbass, Genz Benz etc) & a Barefaced (or similar) or a decent combo & just use it for everything.
Using different gear for different venues only results in inconsistent sounds.[/quote]

Quite. It also leads to confusion regarding which amp settings to use with which bass in which circumstance. Gives me a headache.

Thank you to everybody for your suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

A sensible way forward may well be to keep the SWR combo at the rehearsal room (where there are stairs...) and replace everything else with a suitable lightweight head + cab, or maybe a decent combo.

So, for £800, what's your choice? I'd rather buy secondhand to get better VFM. Barefaced Compact + GK MB500 head? Compact + Orange Terror head? (might be a bit gritty-grindy for me). How about the Ampeg PF 500 head + cab? Again, I'm not sure I'm after the classic Ampeg rock tone. Secondhand Markbass F1 + 210 cab? How about a GK 210 combo - they look like really good value new.

I'm pretty much a plug 'n' play person (because I'm used to combos), so I want a simple-to-use head, a well-matched cab, plenty of grunt, not-too-gritty sound. I don't want much really.

I use what's in my sig for everything, however, if I did a large gig with no PA support then I'd definitely be looking to get a second cab.

My gear does everything from practices to medium sized pub gigs with no PA support comfortably.

Completely regardless of the money, the Laney cab should be more popular than it is cos its such a f***ing good cabinet. I'm pretty sure the specs on the website quoting SPL as 95dB are either completely under what they really are or that they are honest and everything else is grossly overrated.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1261247' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:41 PM']PS. I have a rather successful sound engineer friend who always complained about bassists bringing amps that were too loud (incidentally he suggested anything over 150w was too loud)[/quote]

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Apart from the fact that it is difficult to find decent quality amps in the 50 - 150 watt range these days (a gap in the market maybe?), surely a 150W amp running flat out into a 4 ohm 4x10 cab would be significantly louder than a 500W amp (which seems to have become the industry standard now) at low volume settings going into an 8 ohm 1x15 or a pair of 1x12s?

How long will the old chestnut that watts = loudness last?

For me, a micro head with a BFB compact would seem to be the ideal situation. I've used one for home practice* and it's fine for that. Having said that, I use a BFB Vintage for home practice* and that's fine too!

If a new compact is coming in at around £450 (it's been a while since I looked!) then that leaves you around £350 for an amp. By choosing a decent used one from here that really puts you firmly into the "decent" quality bracket... but maybe not quite up to a TC RH450!

(* That's as well as full band rehearsals and gigs mind!)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='solo4652' post='1261725' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:04 PM']Thank you to everybody for your suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

A sensible way forward may well be to keep the SWR combo at the rehearsal room (where there are stairs...) and replace everything else with a suitable lightweight head + cab, or maybe a decent combo.

So, for £800, what's your choice? I'd rather buy secondhand to get better VFM. Barefaced Compact + GK MB500 head? Compact + Orange Terror head? (might be a bit gritty-grindy for me). How about the Ampeg PF 500 head + cab? Again, I'm not sure I'm after the classic Ampeg rock tone. Secondhand Markbass F1 + 210 cab? How about a GK 210 combo - they look like really good value new.

I'm pretty much a plug 'n' play person (because I'm used to combos), so I want a simple-to-use head, a well-matched cab, plenty of grunt, not-too-gritty sound. I don't want much really.[/quote]

That's why i have what I have. plug it in and play. there are loads of controls but I only ever use the gain, output volume and a bit of boost. It has such a great inherent sound but like the Laney, it ain't fashionable and not mentioned in every second 'what should I buy?' thread so tends to get forgotten.

I use a Markbass 2x10 combo for everything. Loud enough to use without PA when needed & light enough to carry with one hand. I tried a lot of combos & rigs about 3 years ago & I ended up buying this blind from the Bass Merchant. It was probably the only piece of kit on my list that I couldn't try out & I'm really glad I took the chance as I prefer it over any of the other sub £1k rigs that I tried.
It's probably the loudest combo I've used & blows the crap out of the Trace 4x10 combo that I was using before hand.

I wouldn't say no to trying a Barefaced with something like an LMII tho. :)

[quote name='solo4652' post='1261725' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:04 PM']A sensible way forward may well be to keep the SWR combo at the rehearsal room (where there are stairs...) and replace everything else with a suitable lightweight head + cab, or maybe a decent combo.[/quote]

When you have one lightweight compact cab and a head that fits in your lead bag stairs really aren't an issue any more!

When i rehearse i take all my gear up 2 flights of stairs and have a free hand to carry other peoples' kit. The heaviest thing i take is my bass!

Just spotted this latest version of the Promethean combo. £ 640 from GAK. 18kgs, 500w @ 4 ohm. I can't work out whether you need an extension speaker to get the full 500w and the Ibanez website doesn't clarify things. If it's 500w without an extension cab, I'd be seriously tempted.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-promethian-p5115k-combo/48929"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-promethian-p5115k-combo/48929[/url]

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page11.php?area_id=3&ampl_id=17&year=2011&cat_id=5&series_id=432"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page1...p;series_id=432[/url]

I recently 'downsized' from a monster vintage Trace Elliot rig to a Barefaced Compact teamed with a TC Electronics Classic 450. I haven't gigged this set up yet but rehearsed with both bands (but both rehearse at gig volumes, for some reason) and reckon it is easily powerful enough for any situation I am likely to encounter - small pub, large hall or on-stage monitoring for outdoors. And talk about portable - the cab in particular is just phenomenal - as well as the actual output the clarity and range of tone is simply unbelievable. Alex is a genius. He says in the blurb on the website that it sounds more like a 2 x 12 than a 1x15 and it does - but is not lacking in the bottom at all.

Just having one set up for room practice/rehearsal/gigging really isn't going to be a problem - one head, one cab - not really very time consuming.

With lightweight gear you don't need to keep a separate rig at a rehearsal space. Your cabs will be light enough to move around.

I'd get a 500 watt amp (a used TC or Markbass) and 2x112, a Compact or 2x210 neo cabs. I prefer 2 smaller cabs because they are easier to move and more flexible. You may need a little more than £800 but you'll have covered every eventuality.

Edited by chris_b