Why become a member? ×

The fabled 1-cab solution - holy grail?

solo4652

I don't believe one small light cab does it all. People say they do and then you see them pair them up and then stack etc etc ..so I agree with a 500 amp or thereabouts and 2 smallish cabs.
That way you can use a small cab for quiet instances and then get both out for a bigger gig.

To this end..I have 2x112 and 2x210 and choose accordingly.
Atm..the amp stays the same..- I may add another soon, and I far prefer 2x210's to 2x112's ..but the actual margins are smaller in reality.
95% of the gigs I do I can do with the 12's..it is just that I like the 210's better.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1262363' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:06 AM']Just spotted this latest version of the Promethean combo. £ 640 from GAK. 18kgs, 500w @ 4 ohm. I can't work out whether you need an extension speaker to get the full 500w and the Ibanez website doesn't clarify things. If it's 500w without an extension cab, I'd be seriously tempted.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-promethian-p5115k-combo/48929"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-promethian-p5115k-combo/48929[/url]

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page11.php?area_id=3&ampl_id=17&year=2011&cat_id=5&series_id=432"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page1...p;series_id=432[/url][/quote]

I've had an email from the Ibanez suppliers in Birmingham. Apparently, the 5115K combo is 250w @ 8ohm or 500w @ 4ohm.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1262443' date='Jun 9 2011, 11:13 AM']I don't believe one small light cab does it all.[/quote]

Depends on your definition of "small and light" I guess! My vintage could never be called small, but it certainly is light. It definitely does it all. A compact is small and light, and in my experience just about does it all. Never used one at a big gig in a crap room with no PA support though... That's usually where the compromise comes in.

I think Owen has the answer to all your problems (under budget too!): [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=135623"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=135623[/url]

If I hadn't just fallen in love with an Orange Terror Bass I'd be sorely tempted myself since I want to downsize a little!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1262561' date='Jun 9 2011, 12:38 PM']I think Owen has the answer to all your problems (under budget too!): [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=135623"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=135623[/url]

If I hadn't just fallen in love with an Orange Terror Bass I'd be sorely tempted myself since I want to downsize a little![/quote]

Yes - I saw that. Recently, I tried out a Tecamp Puma Combo and was a little underwhelmed, to be honest. I have a light plucking style and I seemed to be struggling to get depth and definition out of the Puma. In comparison, a LM2 head with a Zoot cab sounded much fuller.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1262525' date='Jun 9 2011, 12:16 PM']I've had an email from the Ibanez suppliers in Birmingham. Apparently, the 5115K combo is 250w @ 8ohm or 500w @ 4ohm.[/quote]

Here's what GAK say:

"Hi Steve, many thanks for your email.

Believe it or not, yes you can get the full 500 watts out of this and you wouldn't need an extension cab to do it.

We don't have any in stock at the moment but if you wanted to place an order we'd be able to get one within about 5 working days for you.

Hope this helps.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance."

Is this my way forward?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1261222' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:19 PM']I use a 1212L (like a 1212R, but neo speakers) for rehearsals & gigs - can't see myself ever needing another amp or cab - sounds great and is tiny, light & loud[/quote]

Me too. Been using this type of cab for about 6 years now. first a 1210R and then a 1212L, Played some pretty big places and most of the time with no PA support.

While a 2x12 cab will never be the lightest option its certainly good enough for a lot of people. Driven by a 500watt head this should cover almost all gigs, and anything it cant should be handled by a large PA IMO so its a non issue.

Ive been using MB heads with my cabs and ive never had to turn the master over half way (i know thats not a indication of how loud i am, just that im not pushing the head too hard) and with a 1212L you will be asked to turn down in most pubs.
Ive just got a F1 and im amazed at how tiny it is. Even compared to my old LMII head.

I would suggest getting a MB head as there are a few going cheap at the moment, then spend the rest no a good cab or two.

Of course all cabs have a certain sound, so just going for the smallest or lightest might not be ideal so compromises must be made.

Edited by dave_bass5

Ive just been pricing up some 112s, and I was looking for basically 1 quality 1x12 for my quiet gigs.

The price of neo 1x12s is around £500-£600 now, and for that price I can buy an Ibanez Promethean 1x10 COMBO...as in the amp as well!

Yes, its only a 10 in a small box, but I dont want masses of power.

The only thing I would recommend here is a word of caution to try before you buy if at all possible. From a cold start and no preconceptions I tried all of the available gear in my budget range, hoping to spend as little as possible. I dismissed the Promethean as soon as I played it as, to me, it just didn't sound right. That's not to say it won't be right for you - there are a lot of endorsees on here for it, after all - and if it does you would have saved yourself a pile of dosh. But what it offers on paper and in reality might not match your expectations. It didn't mine.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1262696' date='Jun 9 2011, 02:03 PM']The only thing I would recommend here is a word of caution to try before you buy if at all possible. F[/quote]

Definitely, and more so with the small cabs as some can sound quite boxy or too mid scooped. The Schroeders also have a very distinctive sound that not everyone gets on with.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1262696' date='Jun 9 2011, 02:03 PM']The only thing I would recommend here is a word of caution to try before you buy if at all possible. From a cold start and no preconceptions I tried all of the available gear in my budget range, hoping to spend as little as possible. I dismissed the Promethean as soon as I played it as, to me, it just didn't sound right. That's not to say it won't be right for you - there are a lot of endorsees on here for it, after all - and if it does you would have saved yourself a pile of dosh. But what it offers on paper and in reality might not match your expectations. It didn't mine.[/quote]

You're right of course. I've contacted Dawsons in Stockport and asked them if they would get one of the Prometheans in for me to try.

Barefaced Big One does all my stuff, and it's lightweight. Alternatively build your own 15/6 fEARful - plans etc on the web. The Big One does like a lot of Watts if you want a lot of volume (filling hall with 900+ people - loudly).

[quote name='3below' post='1263306' date='Jun 9 2011, 09:26 PM']Barefaced Big One does all my stuff, and it's lightweight. Alternatively build your own 15/6 fEARful - plans etc on the web. The Big One does like a lot of Watts if you want a lot of volume (filling hall with 900+ people - loudly).[/quote]

*Convulses with laughter* Build your own?!! For me, DIY = Destroy It Yourself.

[quote name='solo4652' post='1263408' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:53 PM']*Convulses with laughter* Build your own?!! For me, DIY = Destroy It Yourself.[/quote]

Unlucky or A lucky break?

Plan B, find a good woodworking type, give plans,exchange cash - still way cheaper than purchasing. YMMV.

Like the definition of DIY, will have to get this one in circulation at work :)

[quote name='3below' post='1263415' date='Jun 9 2011, 11:03 PM']Unlucky or A lucky break?

Plan B, find a good woodworking type, give plans,exchange cash - still way cheaper than purchasing. YMMV.

Like the definition of DIY, will have to get this one in circulation at work :)[/quote]

I've had to work very hard at being bad at DIY. I've mastered it now (being clumsy, that is), so I don't get asked to fix wonky knobs and damp patches. If you see what I mean.

I'd echo the thoughts about Schroeders or Barefaced being a good, light, one-cab solution. Never tried a Barefaced, tho if it wasn't for timing issues I'd have bought a Super12 last year untried (there's always Alex's returns policy as a backup), but I can tell you definitely that the 1515L sounds as big as your full Roland stack, because I had one previously (you've got my old 115X there). Pair it with a LMIII or TC Classic/RH450 (to taste) and you've got a great portable stack. The RH450 even has MP3 in/phones out for silent practice.

The Schroeders do have 'a sound' - which I like - however if you want to come over and try mine, give me a shout. Because of the aforementioned timing debacle last year, I ordered mine from a place in Sweden (or was it Denmark? I forget), and it arrived in three days.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1263623' date='Jun 10 2011, 09:27 AM']I'd echo the thoughts about Schroeders or Barefaced being a good, light, one-cab solution. Never tried a Barefaced, tho if it wasn't for timing issues I'd have bought a Super12 last year untried (there's always Alex's returns policy as a backup), but I can tell you definitely that the 1515L sounds as big as your full Roland stack, because I had one previously (you've got my old 115X there). Pair it with a LMIII or TC Classic/RH450 (to taste) and you've got a great portable stack. The RH450 even has MP3 in/phones out for silent practice.

The Schroeders do have 'a sound' - which I like - however if you want to come over and try mine, give me a shout. Because of the aforementioned timing debacle last year, I ordered mine from a place in Sweden (or was it Denmark? I forget), and it arrived in three days.[/quote]

Well, thank you. I'd like to take you up on your offer to try your rig out. How about you drop me a PM with your contact details and a time that suits you?

Steve

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1263575' date='Jun 10 2011, 08:26 AM']There are a few threads on TalkBass about these cabs, might be more info there.[/quote]

I have been there and there are maybe 8 or more parts with over 50 pages each so maybe 2000 posts to read through!!! a hugely popular thread and im only up to last year!!! :) If anyone can help with a concise[i] 'how to' [/i]id be extremely greatfull, as i am really keen to try and build a high quality cab to test against others.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1264138' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:56 PM']answering my own question. this site may be of interest (i've not looked yet. but its the cab designers site)
[url="http://greenboy.us/fEARful/"]http://greenboy.us/fEARful/[/url][/quote]

You got there before me, it has all the essentials. There is also a [url="http://greenboy.us/forum/"]forum[/url] and at present it has a vastly better signal:noise ratio than the other talking bass site.

I can not rate my Barefaced Big One highly enough - the best cabinet I have had in 37 years of bass playing. Great sound, loud, light and small (relatively). From what I read the fEARful 15/6 etc. have the same broad design goals, I look forward to finishing and trying my fEARful (stacked with Barefaced = fill venue with bass).

Edited by 3below