Why become a member? ×

christian bass players

nomis

I know where you're coming from. I was playing in a worship group that comprised of a singer/guitarist whom couldn't play anything past CAGED & didn't like anything in E, but she was a good vocalist & a drummer that played the same beat to every song (sounded like the drums to "Be my little baby" from Grease).
As these 2 was older & been "playing" for 30+ years, I was considered the one who knew the least about theory & if I gave any opinions about what a chord or arrangement should be, was told "No, no, no, I'm right, that doesn't sound right! Capo on the 8".
I think some churches have singers who only play a little of an instrument because they "have to" & once they have the basics, that's them set. Younger generations do appear to be breaking this (thank's to tinterweb).

I have been a bass player for years and went along with my wife to church a couple of times. I felt a prescence there, but a lack in the bass prescence of the band. So I ended up on the rota. They were a good bunch and it was only a little while later that I realised that i was playing worship music to something I didn't believe in. This became irrelevant when I spent a week at New Wine and met the Holy Spirit while driving my car. So be careful if you are a non-believer - you may change your life.

Our church is blessed with a wealth of very talented musicians and I count myself honoured to play with them. I have learnt so much about playing a variety of unknown songs in a short time frame in very fluid structures. It has fed my confidence musically for my other rock covers band.

Now I am familiar with most of the repertoire I recognise some of the common structures above - and sometimes feel frustration that most songs are mid tempo 4/4. BUT this is generally not music performed for the enjoyment of the audience but to be sung along to en masse for the enjoyment of God. So tricky timings and structures catch people out. Its more about delivering a backing track for others to sing to -- as someone has said, an orchestra pit rather than spotlight performance.
Thanks for listening.

[quote name='bear-foot-bass' timestamp='1318876897' post='1407320']

this is generally not music performed for the enjoyment of the audience but to be sung along to en masse
[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head. If we discourage the congregation joining in with the songs we've failed in our primary role.
I'm a regular in a worship band, playing on average twice a week at a service. I pretty much agree with the comments made so far.

One bit of fun I have hasn't been echoed by anyone else yet. We have a keyboard player who hasn't yet learned how to use the foot pedals on the organ. So when she plays the old style hymns I play the bass stave. It's a great sight-reading exercise and also makes me appreciate how inventive some of the older composers were, e.g Parry.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1318848015' post='1406709']

To be controversial, what we need are more people (in and out of churches) who are willing to say 'you suck'. Because otherwise, if all we say is 'well done, you did a great job' regardless of how good they actually are, people won't be motivated to improve... and our musical standard will continue to fall away and devolve.

[/soapbox]
[/quote]

Whilst what you say is true, I also believe that (although im not a christian) the worship is what is important and the musicians are there to assist that, if they can provide a real professional sound then fantastic, but if they are the only willing singers / players and do a good enough job with the right attitude then that is acceptable worship, of course improve, learn and spend time practicing with the church music group.

I say this coming from a position of playing in a church with successful professional musicians and those who can only play one drum beat or just have "a voice", its all useful for worship

There is a fine line between having a polished band to show in house for worship and it becoming something that loses the reasons for doing it.

I guess this is true for everything done in the church context, nothing wrong with it being professional, but nothing wrong with it when that cant be the case either.

Great thread!
My ten penneth. I would never have played in any band Christian or secular if it hadn't been for the encouragement of my local church members. I had dabbled with 6 string ever since being a young lad but only doing my own thing. When I joined the local church I was encouraged to join in with practices, after a few of those I played acoustic guitar in the meetings but not miked up(just in case of making mistakes).To cut a long journey short I have since played and led meetings on guitar, have played drums which led to me drumming in bands outside of church and for the past few years have played bass, when some of the younger lads wanted to take the drum throne.

Remember! people don't go to church to listen to the band. I've learned that no one comments on the odd mistake, most don't even notice, and its a great way of learning how to play with other people as well as developing your confidence to get out and play at other venues.
Like lots of others on here we do the Hillsong type thing, Chris Tomlin features heavily as does Tim Hughes.

I play at Sutton Village Church in St Helens, Lancs (Formerly Herbert Street (or for the pedants,St Helens Junction) Independent Methodist). Have done so for the last 20 years or so. Although I do play in a couple of "Secular" bands (and no-one minds that) I really enjoy playing Praise and Worship more than anything else.

Back in the late 80's, we found ourselves doing Kendrick to death ("Rejoice, Rejoice" and then "Shine,Jesus, Shine" (which seemed to be played at least 3 times in every service in Britain throughout 1989). Today, there is so much great music out there, with so much variety of style - I can slip between fretted and fretless and back to my hearts content. Being the only bass player in Church though is a bit weird. I would like to encourage the younger adults to consider taking Bass up.

I've been playing Bass since my early teens. I was never encouraged much at school to develop an interest in music (where you practically had to be a prodigy by 11 for anyone to take notice of you at all), so now that my former Head of the Music Dept is getting to take notice (as his wife is our Minister), I find it even more satisfying.

While I find a real freedom in Church (as I don't read dots), a couple of times I have had to really rein that in. As someone who likes to "noodle" around stuff like "Father God I wonder", being dropped in to play with Ishmael once was quite stressful. He was wonderful to work with though, and didn't mind a bit. Same happened a couple of years ago when Mark and Carrie Tedder came to our Church for a Worship weekend. On the Saturday Night, it was just myself and the Worship Leader (who was sitting in on Drums - normally a guitarist). It was wonderful, but I did spend a bit of time studying DVD's to ensure I wasn't going to spoil his songs too much. Following morning, for our "normal" service, the whole group played, so it was a little bit easier.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1318844548' post='1406663']
What I find amusing is how 'THE chord progression' is still being used even by those who insist they are being 'fresh' with the music.

G D Em C was used by hundreds of songs worldwide for decades (still is)... then a fresh new batch came out

Em C G D (e.g. Beechings' Awesome God).... which is the EXACT same progression but starting on the third chord... then a fresh new batch

C G Em D (e.g. Hillsong's Mighty to Save verse and most of the chorus) ... which is the same but starting on the final chord of the first progression... and now there's a new batch...

D Em C G (e.g. Tim Hughes's Jesus Saves) ... which is the same but starting on the second chord.

Loads of songs borrow from each of these sequences and you may note that each progression becomes quite popular around a certain time. Fortunately there are no more 'shifted' permutations left so there'll have to be some variation now.
[/quote]
Well, I've gone back to a lot of our previous material, and crikey, if you ain't right in that!

Another 'Four Chord' song right out there with [i]another[/i] permutation is 'I Have Found ' (in G major) by Kim Walker-Smith/Jesus Culture; the chord sequence is C Em G D, the chorus is C D (E) with some passing and grace notes (G/:) in there too - sounds pretty immense on a five-stringer and you pop down an octave for the chorus, just for SnG's :)

Another fave of mine is a song our old worship leader wrote a few years back, based in the key of Em - chords in the verse were Em C Am D, chorus was E D/E C/E D/E - I snuck in some progressions based around the Em scale and runs up from the bottom (open) E > F# > G > A > E' :o

Some nice songs there, but can get a little 'samey' with the same chords in the same sequence

Ian

PS I've now left my original church and worship team in Cambridge, and moved to a new church in Bury St. Edmunds, so I've hung the bass up for a bit until I've settled in at the new place, although I have approached the titular worship leader about a future role :)

Cheers fella,

Early days yet, but they already have another guy there who plays bass - he's got a very nice '71 P in 'burst with a rosewood board and the ashtrays and all the Fender trimmings - jealous, moi? Hehehehe, but seriously, a gorgeous bass - probably worth more than all three of mine put together, by a fair margin :)

Still, can't wait to get the Vintage 'Ray copy out with the flats and have a noodle there

Ian

Hey folks, I play about once a month at a church in Huddersfield, one of 5 bassists on a rota!! Also do a bit of PA ( I can officialy roll up cables :) ). Contemporary stuff and occasionally I can actually slap and it fits the song, funnily enough I can't fit any in 'Father God I wonder' :)

• 1 month later...

Hello! Just found the post too. I play at Woodlands Church in Bristol. A big church with lots of different styles - a great place.

Lakland 5560. I've posted an embarrassing clip of me rehearsing at church for a service before. At the risk of looking like an egomaniac, it's here http://youtu.be/UR5xecByNBs

Nice to see fellow B Bashers on here...

Liam

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325266986' post='1481575']
Hello! Just found the post too. I play at Woodlands Church in Bristol. A big church with lots of different styles - a great place.

Lakland 5560. I've posted an embarrassing clip of me rehearsing at church for a service before.

[/quote]

Never heard Our God Saves done like that before, nice playing :)

Played at Church today - best way to start the new year!

Lakland 5560. I've posted an embarrassing clip of me rehearsing at church for a service before. At the risk of looking like an egomaniac, it's here http://youtu.be/UR5xecByNBs

Liam
[/quote]

Nice version, grooooovin
It is fantastic to see a video of Christian worship being played and posted on bass chat

Has anyone got anymore of their "church" playing videos ?

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1325436492' post='1483120']
Nice version, grooooovin
It is fantastic to see a video of Christian worship being played and posted on bass chat

Has anyone got anymore of their "church" playing videos ?
[/quote]

Here's Grapevine a few years ago - it's a festival put on by Groundlevel which our Church heads up.
Not me playing, but the majority of the band is from our Church :)
Some nice P-bass for you :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbhb8ONfpo[/media]

Edited by Ben Jamin

• 1 year later...

[size=4]Hi, [/size]
[size=4]I am a Christian and play bass.[/size]
[size=4]I don't play in my church as we have no worship band in Sidmouth.[/size]
[size=4]It's probably just as well as I would be in the - 'Joyful noise unto the Lord ' category if I did. [/size][color=#666666][size=4][i]Psalms 98:4.[/i][/size][/color]
:)
[color=#666666][size=4][i]I am more of an 'all the gear and no idea' sort of player but love hanging around basschat and found this thread today.[/i][/size][/color]
[color=#666666][size=4][i]Shame its been dormant lately but i thought it would be timely for a posting.[/i][/size][/color]
[color=#666666][size=4][i]I hope it will continue to be an encouragement to all who praise the Lord in 2013.[/i][/size][/color]

Anyone play the bass in East Devon? I had a few lessons from a bass playing friend who got me started, but since he passed away it seems a bass free zone, now.

I also love John Martyn, Zero7, Jethro Tull as well as Christian music but know there is loads of good stuff I've never even heard.

Would anyone be interested in a bass meet if I could arrange something at our church in Sidmouth, just a feeler?
Thanks
[color=#666666][size=4][i]God bless [/i][/size][/color]
Lindsay

[size=2](A Scotsman in Devon)[/size]

I've been playing in various praise bands for the last 20-odd years. The latest band is the one giving me most pleasure as we do a large mix of music. I have to admit straight away that I'm not a hillsong fan. It just doesn't do it for me. However, we do some hillsong as one or two of the band members like it. We also do traditional gospel (which I love) and anything else that takes our fancy. That is the reason that I like my current band. There is no rivalry in terms of the repertoire. We just discuss our songs and exercise a bit of compromise if we don't get a consensus. We recently did 'People Get Ready' by Curtis Mayfield. I wanted to do it but our singers weren't sure. However, we did it and the singers came to love it. For our band it's about dipping your toe in the water and seeing what happens. I also like the fact that we do songs which may not be construed as 'Christian' but the lyrics are marvellous and when the song is introduced with that in mind the congregation/audience really warm to the songs as nine times out of ten they will know the songs well. Our current line up includes: 3 vocalists, Rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, and drums.

I enjoyed this thread when it first appeared and am delighted it has surfaced once again.

Edited by Hutton

I no longer go to church but was involved in worship bands and did a stint with Good News Crusade as they travelled the country and played their family camps for years. Did street work along side Church of God of Prophesy (Gloucester)which had some kicking players. Kevin Prosch and his band were a major influence on me..very spirit led improv stuff. I was also involved with a project at Glenwood church in Cardiff encourageing Christian muso's to 'step outside the box' and allow the free creative stuff to happen. For all you guys still in there plugging..all the best :)

Hi! :hi: interesting thread.. and god bless you all..

I was brought up in an 'evangelical' church in Essex (more traditional baptist really) and worked my way from a very young age through various choirs, orchestras and started playing Bass in one (of three) rota based groups; through the 90's. That's when the problems started really; the regular services and church politics were very difficult to take.

There was a huge gulf in age in the congregation and membership; almost zero folks in their 30's and 40's; plenty of teens/20's and loads of 60+ who hated (?) 'drums' and anything else that wasn't a traditional Organ - they even disliked the grand piano.. the overhead projector.. and as for my volcano red Bass (!) well, you can probably imagine..

Sometimes, the music chosen for the services would be mostly hymns ("HOW GREAT THOU ART - then sings my soul"); & you were lucky if there was anything from a spring harvest book - "All Heaven Declares" or "such love" anyone?

The thing that kept us going (drummer, guitarist, keyboard player and small horn section - trumpet and sax) was almost all of the outreach activities we did away from our regular church.. which included "THEOS": a community outreach program aimed at young people with the emphasis on praise, worship and prayer.. met some lovely people along the way, and learnt a lot which I'll always be grateful for..

I moved away more than 10-years ago, and haven't found a 'church' yet (not trying very hard at all really).. and truth be told, not missing the regular Sunday politics.. but the fellowship? yes - I do miss it.. but I have a very young family, and I don't want them to have to go through what I went through..

My bass teacher was just telling me tonight how their system works in the church he plays in. It's more like a theatre, capable of holding around 1000 people (and regularly does), and all the guys show up 2 hours before service and get a good run through the songs. They all have in ear monitors, and top notch gear provided. He even gets a mic so he can shout at the drummer when they are changing from chorus to verse (the mic gets sent to all the in ear monitors, but not the FOH PA.

He said "If you believe in a God, and you are willing to do this, you are striving for excellence in his name, so many churches do it half assed". I didn't really agree with that, but then, i don't agree with his views on religion in general, so i kept quiet. Well no, i actually said "God probably doesn't mind how well you do it, as long as you are doing it for the cause".

I would love to play for the Westboro Baptist Church though, but apparently God hates me, and i'm going to hell... aw :(

Lakland 5560. I've posted an embarrassing clip of me rehearsing at church for a service before. At the risk of looking like an egomaniac, it's here [media]http://youtu.be/UR5xecByNBs[/media]

Liam
[/quote] I liked that in the verses, might try something similar - actually listening again and thinking about it I think I do something similar - with maybe different feel. I tend to do a jamerson influenced skip onto the string below where you stick the muted note. (is it called a muted note? on the snare on beat 2) which means I have less going on around beat 4... anyway. nice I enjoyed listening! :)
[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1357600494' post='1925343']
Hi! :hi: interesting thread.. and god bless you all..

I was brought up in an 'evangelical' church in Essex (more traditional baptist really) and worked my way from a very young age through various choirs, orchestras and started playing Bass in one (of three) rota based groups; through the 90's. That's when the problems started really; the regular services and church politics were very difficult to take.

There was a huge gulf in age in the congregation and membership; almost zero folks in their 30's and 40's; plenty of teens/20's and loads of 60+ who hated (?) 'drums' and anything else that wasn't a traditional Organ - they even disliked the grand piano.. the overhead projector.. and as for my volcano red Bass (!) well, you can probably imagine..

Sometimes, the music chosen for the services would be mostly hymns ("HOW GREAT THOU ART - then sings my soul"); & you were lucky if there was anything from a spring harvest book - "All Heaven Declares" or "such love" anyone?

The thing that kept us going (drummer, guitarist, keyboard player and small horn section - trumpet and sax) was almost all of the outreach activities we did away from our regular church.. which included "THEOS": a community outreach program aimed at young people with the emphasis on praise, worship and prayer.. met some lovely people along the way, and learnt a lot which I'll always be grateful for..

I moved away more than 10-years ago, and haven't found a 'church' yet (not trying very hard at all really).. and truth be told, not missing the regular Sunday politics.. but the fellowship? yes - I do miss it.. but I have a very young family, and I don't want them to have to go through what I went through..

[/quote] I think it possibly can be one of the worst things about growing up in a church/around christians sometimes, and it doesn't sound fun for you. When I hit teenage years always remembered wanting to be away playing sunday league! But my point is, looking back - the good things of community as a kid outweighed the bad and... not all churches are like the one you went to. Though I understand where you're coming from! :)
[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357613806' post='1925447']
My bass teacher was just telling me tonight how their system works in the church he plays in. It's more like a theatre, capable of holding around 1000 people (and regularly does), and all the guys show up 2 hours before service and get a good run through the songs. They all have in ear monitors, and top notch gear provided. He even gets a mic so he can shout at the drummer when they are changing from chorus to verse (the mic gets sent to all the in ear monitors, but not the FOH PA.

He said "If you believe in a God, and you are willing to do this, you are striving for excellence in his name, so many churches do it half assed". I didn't really agree with that, but then, i don't agree with his views on religion in general, so i kept quiet. Well no, i actually said [b]"God probably doesn't mind how well you do it, as long as you are doing it for the cause".[/b]

I would love to play for the Westboro Baptist Church though, but apparently God hates me, and i'm going to hell... aw :(
[/quote] I agree. I think there is a tendency towards professionalism that creeps in, and though theres nothing wrong with that... well sometimes your local amateur theatre and put on a play... and that is more engaging than a hollywood blockbuster of the same story. Plus you can go to the pub the cast afterwards.