Why become a member? ×

christian bass players

nomis

[quote name='Hutton' post='1246855' date='May 27 2011, 11:39 AM']As a Christian who is employed full-time by the church I just want to say how much I have appreciated the way in which everybody has approached this thread.[/quote]

And as a non-Christian I'd like to +1 that.

It has been nice to be able to put up a challenge without a flame war starting. Thanks for the responses.

I'm not remotely religious, but I see this as no different to Fishing Bassists, Cross-stitching Bassists, Poodle-Fancying Bassists. As long as no-one tries to force cross-stitch on me, everyone is free to do as they wish.

And - what a nice, challenging, but respectful thread.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1246956' date='May 27 2011, 12:36 PM']It has been nice to be able to put up a challenge without a flame war starting[/quote]

Give it time :)

Might have already posted this but there are some top worship artists playing at the o2 on the 11th I believe

I can't make it as I already have a gig booked

[quote name='YouMa' post='1246632' date='May 27 2011, 08:40 AM']My New nude jazz quintet practice in the hare krsna temple on westgate road in newcastle.[/quote]

used to live near the westgate road, love that area!

[quote name='Hutton' post='1246855' date='May 27 2011, 11:39 AM']As a Christian who is employed full-time by the church I just want to say how much I have appreciated the way in which everybody has approached this thread.[/quote]

i concur!

[quote name='silddx' post='1246983' date='May 27 2011, 12:52 PM']I'm not remotely religious, but I see this as no different to Fishing Bassists, Cross-stitching Bassists, Poodle-Fancying Bassists. As long as no-one tries to force cross-stitch on me, everyone is free to do as they wish.

And - what a nice, challenging, but respectful thread.[/quote]

you sure i cant tempt you...

[attachment=81064:EasterCh...ssStitch.jpg]

[quote name='silddx' post='1246983' date='May 27 2011, 12:52 PM']I'm not remotely religious, but I see this as no different to Fishing Bassists, Cross-stitching Bassists, Poodle-Fancying Bassists. As long as no-one tries to force cross-stitch on me, everyone is free to do as they wish.

Would that be Bass Fishing Bassists & if so, what would be in the Bass for sale section? :)

It's only trouble free because PeteAcademy hasn't gotten involved! Look at all the trouble & grief he started with his Daffodils thread!!! :)

Think I'd like to start a cross stitching bass club. :)

Hi All,

What a great thread.
I started playing bass in 1996 in churches and never looked back.

You get to meet fantastic people and play some great songs that are filled with encouragement and hope for the future.
It has been and still is an awesome privalidge to play bass in a worship team.

Me and the family attend Plymouth Vineyard Centre [url="http://plymouthvineyard.org.uk/"]http://plymouthvineyard.org.uk/[/url]

On The 12th June 2011 there is a praise event being held at Plymouth Argyle Football stadium , Plymouth , Devon.

Come along and check it out :)

If you see me , i will be the one stood holding a bass guitar :)

[quote name='Austin7' post='1246295' date='May 26 2011, 01:40 PM']I think I have seen an atheist bass club somewhere on the Internet quite some time ago. I don't keep up with bass boards too much anymore since, quite frankly, I feel that this is by far the best one.[/quote]
There was one on Talkbass but the opposing Christians banned it. Studies have shown that in the US atheism is more hated than either muslims, blacks or homosexuals. A number of states even have added a requirement to their constitutions that atheists can not hold public office.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1247703' date='May 27 2011, 11:11 PM']There was one on Talkbass but the opposing Christians banned it. Studies have shown that in the US atheism is more hated than either muslims, blacks or homosexuals. A number of states even have added a requirement to their constitutions that atheists can not hold public office.[/quote]
Now that's not very Christian of them!

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1247703' date='May 27 2011, 11:11 PM']There was one on Talkbass but the opposing Christians banned it. Studies have shown that in the US atheism is more hated than either muslims, blacks or homosexuals. A number of states even have added a requirement to their constitutions that atheists can not hold public office.[/quote]

I find it hard to identify with what you are saying considering the close atheist and gay friends that I have. Also, I'm a Caucasian living in a multiracial family.

State laws attempting to restrict people from holding office would be antiquated early 19th century laws ruled as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. If anyone actually tried to keep an atheist from holding office, there would be so many lawsuits it would cause the earth to spin off its axis.

[quote name='Austin7' post='1247867' date='May 27 2011, 09:35 PM']I find it hard to identify with what you are saying considering the close atheist and gay friends that I have. Also, I'm a Caucasian living in a multiracial family.[/quote]To identify with it you would have to consider some of the other 300 million Americans who aren't in your family or close circle.[quote]State laws attempting to restrict people from holding office would be antiquated early 19th century laws ruled as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. If anyone actually tried to keep an atheist from holding office, there would be so many lawsuits it would cause the earth to spin off its axis.[/quote]
It's there if you look for it, here's the first thing I found for your state. There's tons more if you care to search. There are a number of right wing states trying to keep people off the ballots currently and of course the thousands of other religious fundamentalists who daily try to write laws based on the bible or sharia law or whatever.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1247871' date='May 28 2011, 05:35 AM']To identify with it you would have to consider some of the other 300 million Americans who aren't in your family or close circle.
It's there if you look for it, here's the first thing I found for your state. There's tons more if you care to search. There are a number of right wing states trying to keep people off the ballots currently and of course the thousands of other religious fundamentalists who daily try to write laws based on the bible or sharia law or whatever.

[/quote]

I can assure you that I do consider other people outside my family and close circle of friends. By the way, my state is not Texas. Also, it doesn't much matter what Texas does to try to get around federal law, it will still be overridden by federal law. The most recent example is when the Texas legislature threatened to make TSA searches illegal. The federal government countered by threatening to shut down all flights in Texas. I actually do agree with much of your overall line of reasoning, except I feel it applies to what may happen in the future more than it does to what is happening now. I really don't feel that I can say much more than that without making this into a political discussion. I have an M.A. in political science and do actually know some things about the topic. However, I'm pretty sick of politics and would much rather discuss music than politics even if political discussions were encouraged. Why did I get an M.A. in political science? I don't know! I hate the subject; but it was just so easy. I wish I had a music degree and envy people who have one.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1241489' date='May 23 2011, 12:49 PM']Sorry, been raptured, free wireless in heaven so basschat still works.
Angles like Showing off with erb.[/quote]

Angles?? you'll need to do a 180 on that.

Not a christian at all, but play in churches a lot. I like the change of pace from weddings and corporate function gigs. The crowd's really appreciative, (though the appreciation is, at times, difficult to monetize) they don't ask you to play Mustang Sally (but you can probably guess whether the enduring #1 church-goer favourite is a weak doodle of a campfire song that makes Mustang Sally sound like a masterpiece of funk-fusion-prog-symphony or not. Die in a fire, Pekka Simojoki.) and best of all, you get to play with people who won't settle for winging it.

You guys find the good sides apart from the spiritual experiences similar?

[quote name='Bottle' post='1241494' date='May 23 2011, 02:54 PM']Perse Girls school[/quote]

'Perse' is Finnish for arse. Should love to see that school, and the pupils especially.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1247872' date='May 28 2011, 08:37 AM']Probably not real christians.[/quote]

No real scotsmen eh? :)

edited because it's late and I can't type

Edited by nobody's prefect

Mr. prefect, love the sig :)

In the US playing in church has become one of the major venues for bands and has become such a large market that manufacturers like Carvin and Peavey specifically target praise players. There doesn't seem to be any limit to the styles that can be played for christ, from the classic super tight and funky gospel to christian death metal with a lot of really bad sub mustang sally type players filling it out.

Back when I was a wee nipper -- before religion and I pretty much gave up on each other -- I used to attend the local Free Church with my parents. The congregation was shall we say fairly advanced in years, and pretty much any attempt to work in anything even remotely up-tempo resulted in lots of grumbling about 'Top Of The Pops' and other such superannuated whinges. They were quite happy with their thees and thou-wouldsts and anything even remotely cheerful sounding was not acceptable. Oh, I hated it. So much for making a joyful noise. As some of the older people passed away, their places were not taken, and by the time I stopped going it was dying on its arse, literally.
A decent band and some major key songs would have changed all that.

That is a sad story Rich.
It is disappointing when the "older church goers" don't want anything to do with the new & just want a "religion" rather than to know God.
It's even sadder that these poor folk drive away the younger generations who do have an interest in getting to know about God, go to a church & then after a short while leave & lose that interest they had.
I used to go with my folks to a similar style of church when I was a kid. Became a teenager & never went back other than the occasional visit at Easter every 5-6 years. Then about 18 months ago the other 1/2 got in touch with some old friends that she hadn't seen for @ 10 years & ended up with us joining 2 of them at a house group (kind of a bible study) which then resulted in me & her getting saved.
We never went to any churches to start with & then about 4 months later the house group had gotten too big to be held in a house, so our church was formed.

Yes we do hymns like Amazing Grace & I Exalt Thee, but we mainly do contemporary worship songs with just the occasional hymn & we have been getting a lot of interest from the younger generation (teenagers) wanting to know more of God, 4 of which have became Christians in this past fortnight.

Anyway, back on topic. Never got to play bass at church all weekend! I did have fun playing g****ar thru my pedal board tho. Distorted wah on an acoustic is an interesting image! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1251070' date='May 31 2011, 08:27 AM']That is a sad story Rich.
It is disappointing when the "older church goers" don't want anything to do with the new & just want a "religion" rather than to know God.
It's even sadder that these poor folk drive away the younger generations who do have an interest in getting to know about God, go to a church & then after a short while leave & lose that interest they had.
I used to go with my folks to a similar style of church when I was a kid. Became a teenager & never went back other than the occasional visit at Easter every 5-6 years. Then about 18 months ago the other 1/2 got in touch with some old friends that she hadn't seen for @ 10 years & ended up with us joining 2 of them at a house group (kind of a bible study) which then resulted in me & her getting saved.
We never went to any churches to start with & then about 4 months later the house group had gotten too big to be held in a house, so our church was formed.

Yes we do hymns like Amazing Grace & I Exalt Thee, but we mainly do contemporary worship songs with just the occasional hymn & we have been getting a lot of interest from the younger generation (teenagers) wanting to know more of God, 4 of which have became Christians in this past fortnight.

Anyway, back on topic. Never got to play bass at church all weekend! I did have fun playing g****ar thru my pedal board tho. Distorted wah on an acoustic is an interesting image! :D[/quote]
+1 for Rich too - that's a sad indictment of the state of the Church these days :P

+1 for xgsjx too - I'm really encouraged by this testimony, and it's great that you're seeing fruits in this area. Keep up the good work there, feller :). Interesting effect on the acoustic guitar there!

Had a great morning in worship on Sunday. Was playing again after a short hiatus whilst my incision healed. All good! Bit rusty, and fingers had softened up a little, but got through the first set fine. Then went back for more at the end of the service with a more spontaneous feel to it. Gonna take the bigger rig next time, could have done with a little more clean headroom :) plus the extra speakerage would have been useful for the drummer to use.

Really encouraged by this thread in general. Good to see how many players have gotten their start in church, and many continue to be playing in that environment.

Have a good week chaps :lol:
Ian