Why become a member? ×

christian bass players

nomis

Howdy

I'm based in a church in Cambridge - we have yet to find a building to house us permanently, so for the moment we use the auditorium in the Perse Girls school for our Sunday morning service and for the odd rehearsal.

Have been playing bass seriously for about three years now...BC has turned me into a right proper gear-head! I've been with my current church for about three-and-a-half years and with the worship team musicians for about two-and-a-half years now. Started out with the Ibanez and a Line 6 Lowdown 110, then graduated to an EBS ProLine 4x10 cab (bought s/h here on BC) and a GK MB500 head. Added another EBS cab (1x15), and another Ibanez bass (a 5 string ATK)....moved on some gear, bought more (a Squier P-Special etc).

Get a few looks when I turn up to church with the full stack (it tops out at around 1000w :) )

HTH,
Ian

cool as :)

i play for a church in newcastle called NCLC (kind of linked with hillsong london) good times :)

there has also been talk of playing with ken riley (former y-friday)

Edited by therose789

[quote name='Bottle' post='1241494' date='May 23 2011, 12:54 PM']Howdy

I'm based in a church in Cambridge - we have yet to find a building to house us permanently, so for the moment we use the auditorium in the Perse Girls school for our Sunday morning service and for the odd rehearsal.

Have been playing bass seriously for about three years now...BC has turned me into a right proper gear-head! I've been with my current church for about three-and-a-half years and with the worship team musicians for about two-and-a-half years now. Started out with the Ibanez and a Line 6 Lowdown 110, then graduated to an EBS ProLine 4x10 cab (bought s/h here on BC) and a GK MB500 head. Added another EBS cab (1x15), and another Ibanez bass (a 5 string ATK)....moved on some gear, bought more (a Squier P-Special etc).

Get a few looks when I turn up to church with the full stack (it tops out at around 1000w :) )

HTH,
Ian[/quote]

ha aye i use my ad200 and 8x10 on sunday!

i remember the first week i rocked up with it! the sound guy nearly wet himself

[quote name='therose789' post='1241535' date='May 23 2011, 01:13 PM']ha aye i use my ad200 and 8x10 on sunday!

i remember the first week i rocked up with it! the sound guy nearly wet himself[/quote]
Holy Cow.....that's a fearsome rig! :)

My dream is to quad-amp some day (my current rig can cope with tri-amping quite happily), maybe by adding a (high-passed) 4x12 Guitar cab to the mix..... :) but that would be limited to the studio :lol:.

Music-wise we use a wide variety of songs from many places - Hillsong, Tim Hughes, some Godfrey Birtill occasionally, and recently several songs coming out of Bethel church in Redding, California. Plus we write and record our own material as well.

HTH,
Ian

WOW that would be a killer rig! ha

sounds like a good mix of tunes,

we do a lot of hillsong stuff, recently did an event with beth croft of soul survivor and did a load of their stuff was really fun to play.

check us out at www.mynclc.co.uk

Edited by therose789

[quote name='therose789' post='1241578' date='May 23 2011, 01:43 PM']WOW that would be a killer rig! ha

sounds like a good mix of tunes,

we do a lot of hillsong stuff, recently did an event with beth croft of soul survivor and did a load of their stuff was really fun to play.

check us out at www.mynclc.co.uk[/quote]
@therose: Thanks! Yerp, I think it sounds pretty good! Nice mix of songs there. Will check out the link, mine is in my siggie :)

@AM: Cool stuff! 4x10's are the way to go (despite what others think!). There's nothing more satisfying than seeing the guitarist and/or drummer blanche when I wheel in the stack from the car :)

Ian

Although I am not a Christian I play every few weeks at our local church , mainly Hillsong type stuff, band varies usaully has bass, drums, keys and guitar.

Fantastic lively place with alot of good projects going on in the local community and further afield

Edited by lojo

i'm a christian and i used to play very regularly until the arrival of our second son 8 months ago. I leave my rig down there wor other players to use. That also tops out at 1000watts (or thereabouts). Not a problem at ramsbottom pentecostal church though; the pastor is an ex-punk and likes it loud. We do hillsong, audacious etc... stuff. Pretty good stuff, could do with some 7/4 though. :)

I too, keep the faith up / down / over here in Coventry. Used to play in the worship group at our lovely Baptist church, took a break, played lots of wedding type gigs, realised how much I really [i]don't [/i] enjoy doing that kinda stuff, went back to playing at church and realised how much I [i]do [/i]enjoy playing that kinda stuff, and here I am today!

Most of the stuff we play isn't the most technically advanced or challenging, but the reason we're playing it more than makes up for it.

I play in a wee Pentecostal church in Falkirk called the Life Church. It's only been on the go for just over a year & we don't have our own building, but are going to communities & using community halls.
Most of the time I play guitar as there's only a drummer & a singer who plays a small amount of guitar. If she's confident with a set of songs then I'll pull out the bass, but that's not often enough for me :)

We play a mix of stuff from Hymns to Tim Hughes & anything else that the congregation like. I'm really wanting to get You Wont Relent into our hymn book. :)
Could really do with getting another musician or two through the door tho.

Church? That's how I got started on the bass. I was a below-average teenage guitar player not good enough for the church band when one Sunday, the bass player didn't turn up. A bass was found and pressed into my hands and the rest is history.

Now I've got kids of my own and I run a youth band each week with 7-10 teenagers. I'm trying to help them get a set together for various church events - lots of Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman stuff. We've done a couple of events so far and its great to see them making progress and enjoying working together. The irony is that we don't have anyone to play the bass at the moment so I may have to be the oldest teenager in town for a while! Where's my hoodie?

Just had a great time yesterday at an event for all the churches in Croydon, 1000 people in a marquee at Selhurst Park. They put together a gospel choir and a band from different churches across the town and I was honoured to be asked to do it. There's some great players out there and my funk muscles had a workout and are begging for more!

Interesting to read about the big stacks you're using. I got my GK 700 and 4x10 out for this event which I hadn't used for about 4 years (my bad back = small combo usually) but quickly got to love the power of the big rig again. Perhaps my next purchase needs to be a big but lightweight cab.

I'm one of them there Christian bass players too. :)

Play in Dorchester Community Church in Dorset. [url="http://www.aclandroadchurch.org.uk/"]Link[/url] Smallish I guess. 100 or so members. We have our own building which is about 100 years old and are hoping for a new one soon due to some local council building development plans.

Been a Christian for 3 years and playing in the Worship band for about 2 and a half. The couple who have run the Worship group for the last 10 years are moving to Devon to be closer to family so to our surprise, the Wife and I have been asked to take on the Job. Quite a privilege really, if a little daunting... :)

I have always just played my basses through the Church PA. Now we are getting the reins I am feeling using an amp may be in order :D

Music is everything from Hillsong type stuff to Hymns. Have also played with Des Minto from YFriday (Seeing as they were mentioned earlier) on a couple of occasions as the former worship leaders are his in-laws. Amazing drummer....

Nice to know there are quite a few of us on here :lol:

Edited by TommyK

[quote name='TommyK' post='1242324' date='May 23 2011, 09:51 PM']Nice to know there are quite a few of us on here :)[/quote]

there is isn't there?
but i guess unless you are in an active covers/originals band - and lots are - it is another way of playing lots of music regularly so it stands to reason there would be folk commited enough to sit reading about it on basschat!

Me to, play all sorts from hill songs to soul surviver type stuff. even had the pleasure of picking up a 3 year tour around the UK and Europe with a christian singer/songwriter form the states
when he was based over here in the UK,which was great fun and a massive learning curve being on the road alot. Church was were i first started playing bass and it has gone on from there
and led to lots of different areas of music outside of church life.......

[quote name='Colledge' post='1242485' date='May 23 2011, 11:58 PM']i've never been in a church except for a couple of weddings. i hope to keep it that way.[/quote]

Was it really necessary to post this? You're not adding anything to the flow of the thread. You're just being nasty.

[quote name='Colledge' post='1242485' date='May 23 2011, 11:58 PM']i've never been in a church except for a couple of weddings. i hope to keep it that way.[/quote]
I'm not a Christian but believe everyone's entitled to their beliefs...lets keep this thread in the spirit of the original post, huh?