Why become a member? ×

christian bass players

nomis

Agreed.
I'm a christian and play most sundays at Guisborough methodist church, we have me on bass, my wife plays 12 string, we have Keyboards, drums, and an assortment of singers.
we do mainly Hillsong, Tim Hughes, and all that genre.

Love it. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1242668' date='May 24 2011, 10:02 AM']I'm not a Christian but believe everyone's entitled to their beliefs...lets keep this thread in the spirit of the original post, huh?[/quote]

well said...

[quote name='tom1946' post='1242677' date='May 24 2011, 10:14 AM']Agreed.
I'm a christian and play most sundays at Guisborough methodist church, we have me on bass, my wife plays 12 string, we have Keyboards, drums, and an assortment of singers.
we do mainly Hillsong, Tim Hughes, and all that genre.

Love it. :)[/quote]

i once went to a wedding there! great church :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKjjirtbAM&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKjjirtbAM...feature=related[/url]

heres a link to one of our ''touching heaven'' services, its one of the items we did aimed at helping the local community etc... (i happened to put the mash up of songs together)

thats me on the bass and my bro on the pots and pans and im pretty sure the fiancee is singing too...

Edited by therose789

I owe so much of my playing to church, as i was let into that world really early on.. just regularly playing from the chord charts with different people every week was just great for my playing. Have also had some great gigs on that scene, done the big stages at soul survivor and new wine, aswell as led worship at some big events at cathedrals.. i'm really thankful i've the chance to be a part of it all

I am a Christian and I have been playing in our local church since 1997. It all started when the vicar's wife clocked that I had an acoustic 6-string and asked me to play alongside her at one service. From then, I joined the music-group, but since there were three acoustic guitarists, I switched back to bass.

I progressed through different basses until I settled on my Tanglewood Curbow and Ibanez SR through either a 50W or 150W Peavey combo (and latterly DI-ed through the sound-system).

Playing at church has given me many opprtunities and increased my musical knowledge and experience - our previous MD formed an orchestra which made me learn to read the bass clef. I play regularly twice a month and recently have been congratulated by the current MD on my sensitive playing and ability which I attribute somewhat to the exposure to differing praise and worship - songs ranging from traditional hymns to Kendrick, and Townend etc.

I am now planning to lead a music group myself concentrating on more contemporary/rocker worship songs.

Ross

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1242723' date='May 24 2011, 10:57 AM']I owe so much of my playing to church, as i was let into that world really early on.. just regularly playing from the chord charts with different people every week was just great for my playing. Have also had some great gigs on that scene, done the big stages at soul survivor and new wine, aswell as led worship at some big events at cathedrals.. i'm really thankful i've the chance to be a part of it all[/quote]
That's pretty cool! My journey seems to have followed much the same path. Not played any big stages yet :lol: biggest gig was St Barnabas church in Cambridge to maybe 200 people :)

Would be awesome to tip up to a catherdral and play there, with the big organ as well (I think I'd need much more than 1000w to compete with a large pipe organ :) ), plenty of low end there!!! Just ask the organist to keep away from the lower register when I'm playing hehehehe :D

Ian

[quote name='Colledge' post='1242485' date='May 23 2011, 11:58 PM']i've never been in a church except for a couple of weddings. i hope to keep it that way.[/quote]

Not much point in you checking this thread then really

Hi everyone,
I'm a Christian bass player too. I've been playing in New Mossley Presbyterian Church, near Belfast, for the last 4 years, and I've been blessed to play with some great musicians in order to glorify God. It's given me the opportunity to play regularly and develop my technique, and over the last couple of years I've started leading worship (sometimes from the bass, which is tricky, and from the mandolin), and now I feel that I'm being drawn to teaching and preaching, so I'm going on a course for that next month! :)

Since getting a pair of subs, we've been DI'ing the bass into the PA, but I would still use my Ashdown Superfly amp and a Laney 2x10 on stage. I would vary between playing my Mania 4 string fretless or a Dean Pace EUB. I think a 5 string would work well for the sort of stuff that we do - lots of contemporary praise, but also some older gospel stuff, with the occasional hymn, but for the meantime I'm awaiting the arrival of a Hipshot detuner.

There is a Christian bass player's forum, but it seems to have slowed down a bit lately, maybe we need to waken it up... Actually, I've just searched and can't find it, so if someone could oblige me by posting the URL that would be great.
Andrew

I'm a christian too. I play at [url="http://www.louthchristianfellowship.co.uk"]Louth Christian Fellowship[/url] (Lincolnshire). I've been playing bass in one church or another (due to moving around for uni, jobs etc!) since 1994.

We play a fair mix of stuff. In particular, Desperation Band, Hillsong, Abundant Life, RPM, Audacious, Israel Houghton...

Church is the place that really encouraged me to keep developing my bass playing and pushes me to keep learning new things. We aim to learn 2 new song each band practice so lots to keep me busy. :)

[quote name='therose789' post='1244335' date='May 25 2011, 03:02 PM']i played in a lot of ''secular'' bands before i started going to a church and i can safely say i have never been as streched forced to improve as a musician than when i started playing worship music![/quote]

+1

I always remember the first time i practised with our worship group. The guy leading on acoustic guitar gave me a chord sheet to a song i had never heard and said "Oh yeah and its in Capo 3..." and just started playing!! :)

Never learnt so much in such a short space of time, truly a blessing.

Well after saying that I'd like to give it a whirl I've done a bit of investigating at my local church, Holy Trinity in Sunningdale. They have a few groups as far as I can tell & I've been invited along to a rehearsal tomorrow evening :) I'm nervous now..... :)

Angie

Edited by SlackAlice

Playing in church is where I found my footing as a bass player. Instilled in me from the outset that listening to the other musicians and the audience, and being able to adapt to changes in mood, tempoand song structure, has set the foundation foe everything I've done since.

I don't.
And I don't go to church either.

But one day I auditioned for a church band :D

I was bandless and looking for something to do. I responded to an ad in gumtree. A nice guy replied inviting me to audition the following Friday. I didn't have much info, and he didn't give me any about the music style or anything, only that it was originals. I asked whether he could send me an mp3 or something so that at least I had an idea. He said to just come along. Fine. They reheased in a church very near my place. I thought it could be a church band... but then lots of churches let some of their property for use as community halls, for rehearsals etc, so it could be anything. It was near, and it was a cool looking church, so why not.

I went there, and I call the guy from outside, just to make sure where I was suppsoed to be going.
"main door"
ah, ok.

I walk in... and I realise they're a worship band.
No offense intended, I respect that, but it's not my thing. I felt like saying "I think this is not for me" before starting but I then felt that it would be better to just have a go regardless, after all they didn't have a bass player that evening. There was a bossy leader :) who sang and played guitar, another guitarist, a guy on keyboards, 3 women doing backing vocals, and a 17 year old at the drums (the guy i contacted), who would also let his 12 year old brother have a go on some songs.
I was given a few sheets with the song lyrics and chords written on them, and it was 1, 2, 3... go. Simple structures, it wasn't hard. And I had fun. The bossy leader annoyed me a bit, especially when he told off the 17 year old drummer for being a bit too busy (I was enjoying that!!! :lol:) But they were cool. The subject of the lyrics was not my thing, but I enjoyed the music and had a good time. Two hours later I was thanked and I was on my way.
The next day I was offered the place.
I had to turn it down. They were nice, but they wanted someone for every Friday practice and then play during services... and I could do that maybe once, but not as a regular thing.

I liked the "community" feeling they had (despite the bossy leader :)) and I think it's great that these things exist. If I were a believer, I'd certainly join one of these bands because it felt like there was a very nice atmosphere.

Instead, I got a gig with a funk/rap/blues band rehearsing in a very smelly and dark rehearsal place... with a bossy leader :lol: He was the reason I quit after a few months.

Tomorrow I'm playing a gig with my current originals band, supporting his band. Despite the bossiness issues, I admired what he was doing and the music was great... so we stayed in touch. But tomorrow there's a little healthy rivalry to see which band gets most people into the music and dancing etc :P

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1244667' date='May 25 2011, 07:32 PM']Anyone else remember 'HeartBeat' and '65Dba' or is that just me?[/quote]

I remember 65Dba, roadied for them at one point back before I gave up on religion (not knocking you guys, just wasn't for me) :)
Brussels Spaceship anyone? They were cool as.

I played in our local church's worship group for about 3 years. Very good it was too. It was a mixture of the usual Hillsongs stuff and also song's composed by our worship leader. The last CD she did was produced by Chris Tomlin.

I was also lucky to play some quite big concerts in London playing her stuff, really enjoyed it.

Moved church about 2 years ago and there is no worship group which is a shame, and they don't really want one either.

I don't hold any religious beliefs personally (I'm firmly in the Church of Richard Dawkins and evolutionary biology!)... but I fully respect those who do and must admit I enjoy a good sing-song in church when the occasion arises. Don't mind a bit of gospel either.

You folks have enlightened me on a new genre here - Hillsong - which I'd never heard of before. "You learn something every day", as the saying goes... :)

I'm very much in the same mind as skol303 on this and as an atheist have often been really moved by gospel and spiritual music.
A few years ago we went with a friend to the Glide mission church in San Francisco's tenderloin district, it was Christmas, and the most uplifting and enjoyable religious service I've ever attended. This was largely due to the lovely warm welcoming congregation but also the stupendously good choir and band filling this huge auditorium of a church with joyous sound.

I've seen a few clips on here of very cool funky gospel bass players in the USA but although the words don't always strike a chord with my personal beliefs, the love, and soul evident in a lot of this type of music certainly dusts my broom.

Why not post some clips on here chaps ?
Edit:
Funny enough just saw this : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77094&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77094&hl=[/url]

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1244583' date='May 25 2011, 06:31 PM']Playing in church is where I found my footing as a bass player. Instilled in me from the outset that listening to the other musicians and the audience, and being able to adapt to changes in mood, tempoand song structure, has set the foundation foe everything I've done since.[/quote]
That has been experience too.....

I also go to a jam night every now and then, just to keep from going rusty

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='lonestar' post='1245542' date='May 26 2011, 01:10 PM']I'm very much in the same mind as skol303 on this and as an atheist have often been really moved by gospel and spiritual music.
A few years ago we went with a friend to the Glide mission church in San Francisco's tenderloin district, it was Christmas, and the most uplifting and enjoyable religious service I've ever attended. This was largely due to the lovely warm welcoming congregation but also the stupendously good choir and band filling this huge auditorium of a church with joyous sound.

I've seen a few clips on here of very cool funky gospel bass players in the USA but although the words don't always strike a chord with my personal beliefs, the love, and soul evident in a lot of this type of music certainly dusts my broom.

Why not post some clips on here chaps ?
Edit:
Funny enough just saw this : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77094&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77094&hl=[/url][/quote]

i poseted one futrher up not the best quality but you get the idea

heres some of the song that we are doing at the moment

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmGWjrTWds"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmGWjrTWds[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gdt0CYfjmM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gdt0CYfjmM[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-bUZj1bkoE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-bUZj1bkoE[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8u3h0qjcIU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8u3h0qjcIU[/url]

last one has a fun bassline to play