Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Tone

JayPH

Hi all

This might be common knowledge but I've just discovered how awsome my new jazz bass sounds with the following settings:

Neck p/u @ 100%, bridge @ 0, and the tone @ 0. Absolutely brilliant for reggae. Really mellow.

How do you set your tone and what are good settings for different genres of music?

Mine is stack knob configuration, I generally have the following balance:

Everything Maxed - 50% of my playing (organic and natural sounding to my ears, nice brightness)
Neck full with tone maxed, Bridge full with tone off - 30% (warm with just the right amount of definition)
Neck Pickup solo'ed - 10% (almost Precision-like)
Bridge pickup solo'ed - 10% (great for Paul Simon stuff and simulated fretless)

Danny

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1213215' date='Apr 27 2011, 09:54 PM']i treated the only Jazz I played just like my current bass. Both pickups and tone on max! :)[/quote]
+1 on that.

On the Jazzes I had, everything on full, all the time.

Think my philosophy is rather like that of Nikki Sixx with his basses - they`re either on or off!

I'm usually both pups 100%, tone about 40 - 50%, although in my current rock covers band I do tend to play with the settings a bit more to try and get closer to the record. Until I recently installed Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups, I'd never really found the neck pup much use on its own.

I have retro's on both mine so have both pups flat out and the tone wide open.
In either passive or active I used the pup switch to go full-both or full-bridge.

I use the active to enhance the basic passive sound, not change it dramtically which the pre has the option to do, so I used the active to beef up the inherrent sound of that bass...
Both Jazzes have different characters..one is classic MM the other more vintage Paul Turner which is not surprising since he commmisioned it.
Love them both

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1213239' date='Apr 27 2011, 10:10 PM']cuts everything, boosts nothing..[/quote]

Not quite...the added capacitance lowers the resonant peak of the pickup which gives a little boost just before the rolloff frequency. So for example (and where I find this most useful) there is a bit more low-mid output from a bridge pickup solo'ed with the tone off than with it full on. It's not very obvious on some basses but it's a very clear difference on my aerodyne.
See here [url="http://terrydownsmusic.com/technotes/guitarcables/guitarcables.htm"]http://terrydownsmusic.com/technotes/guita...uitarcables.htm[/url] scroll down to the 'tone control' heading for a graph showing this.

Neck and rear pickups both down at 60-70% of max (but equal), tone turned down to somewhere between 50% and max, depending on strings - perfect for straightahead jazz, very mellow indeed. Turn up at amp if more volume needed.

NOT the same tone as turning up both pickups to max and turning the tone knob down. Don't ask me why this is, I don't know. It just works.

Other settings essentially as per previous posters.

Pete

Bridge or neck wide open.
Tone wherever I like.

I can't run both pickups at the same time or my bass makes next to no sound, really odd, I have to turn it up like 3-4 times what I'd put a normal passive bass through if I have both pickups cranked. Giving up and rewiring it soon.