Why become a member? ×

Why doesn't anyone make...?

It struck me that on a vintage-style bass, such as a 62 RI precsion the riveted reverse tuners look right, but I avoid them because they turn the wrong way. My MIJ 62 RI has 'CBS era' style tuners, so loses some brownie points on authenticity, but at lease they turn the right way. Wouldn't it be nice if a company (hipshot?) made authenic looking tuners which turned the same way as all other tuners.

Also on my list would be a set of hipshot 'lollypop' tuners for a CIJ mustang bass (inc D-tuner) which look like the original 1966 fender ones.

Any other bass stuff not available to buy, but you think it should be?

Why don't Tech 21 wake up and smell the coffee and make a small Class D amp with a Sansamp EQ section? They have one of the strongest brand names for DI/EQ and yet insist only on applying this to pedals or relatively heavy (>20lb) 'old school' type amps

There's loads of great looking basses I've been looking at recently but because they don't make 5-string versions they are of little practical use to me.

The ultimate for me would be an Ovation Magnum I identical to the original in a 5-string version.

And for Industrial Radio to licence their MIDI bass system so it could be built into something more interesting looking that a Fender-alike...

Edited by BigRedX

For me, it would be Fender MIA colours and styles. The range that the MIA Jazz and Precisions have is crazy small. Then go and look at what Fender CIJ do and its amazing. I would personally like more matching headstocks and more binding and blocks on the Fender MIA range.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1208072' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:50 AM']There's loads of great looking basses I've been looking at recently but because they don't make 5-string versions they are of little practical use to me.[/quote]
I'll take that one step further and say they don't make a 5 with a 34" scale and 17-17.5mm bridge spacing. Size is important!

[quote name='Linus27' post='1208087' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:08 AM']For me, it would be Fender MIA colours and styles. The range that the MIA Jazz and Precisions have is crazy small. Then go and look at what Fender CIJ do and its amazing. I would personally like more matching headstocks and more binding and blocks on the Fender MIA range.[/quote]
i soo agree with this.. Fender USA are way behind the exciting things that CIJ and the CIJ custom shop do..i want matching headstocks, gold hardwear pearl blocks, binding..make me want to buy you!.. flame maple necks, tops.. LTD editions that dont cost a frickin fortune.. maybe thats part of the appeal... they could do more though... The Japanese do it..

sex that sh*t up Fender !!!!!

oh if i was the Fender top dog you would love it.. im not saying bling all the time but every bass player looks at a new Fender, why not bank on that, and excite em

i have heard on the grape vine that there is a new Fender deluxe comin out that is in the vain of the FMT or QMT.. with the new (proper) shape..that is gonna be smokin...!!!!!!

Edited by bubinga5

A Squier VM Mustang - much rather have one of these to the Bronco/Musicmaster

More lower end 12vers. I wouldn't use one enough to justify spending £1500 on that Chandler Royale on Ebay but I would have one in a minute. Easy peasy - 5 string neck,slightly longer headstock, one of those cheapy string through body bridges off Ebay, bob's your uncle

I'm trying to fathom a way you could have a bridge that has 2 "preset" action settings that can be changed at the flick of a switch. I have some songs which require a high action and deep bassy tone and others that sound better with a bit of fretboard clang and that sort of thing. Intonation would be an issue I guess. Hmm.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1208131' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:35 AM']More lower end 12vers. I wouldn't use one enough to justify spending £1500 on that Chandler Royale on Ebay but I would have one in a minute. Easy peasy - 5 string neck,slightly longer headstock, one of those cheapy string through body bridges off Ebay, bob's your uncle[/quote]
The problem with the cheaper 8 and 12 string basses is that they're not very nice instruments to play. I've got a Carlo Robelli 8-string and although it's not brilliant I have to remember that it only cost £100. The Deans and The Schecter cost at least 4 times as much and IMO they're actually no better for sound or playability.

Personally if I had the cash that Chandler Royale would be mine already.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1208070' date='Apr 22 2011, 10:49 AM']Why don't Tech 21 wake up and smell the coffee and make a small Class D amp with a Sansamp EQ section? They have one of the strongest brand names for DI/EQ and yet insist only on applying this to pedals or relatively heavy (>20lb) 'old school' type amps[/quote]
+1 - they would clean up big-time.

[quote name='skej21' post='1208453' date='Apr 22 2011, 04:35 PM']Headphones that (when you're listening to music) let you know someone is behind you... No more sh!tting myself everytime the Mrs brings me a cuppa![/quote]
if that's for while you're sitting at your desk, you could try implementing a mirror?

A device specifically for getting a really nice polish underneath the strings and around the pickup's.
Infact.
A device for removing evert spec of dust and polishing basses.

(I'm ocd about my shinyness, it's disgusting how long I spend polishing it)

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Clarky' post='1208070' date='Apr 22 2011, 10:49 AM']Why don't Tech 21 wake up and smell the coffee and make a small Class D amp with a Sansamp EQ section? They have one of the strongest brand names for DI/EQ and yet insist only on applying this to pedals or relatively heavy (>20lb) 'old school' type amps[/quote]

That would be right up my street.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1208654' date='Apr 22 2011, 09:01 PM']I'd be up for one of those - or an accurate '66 RI Roadworn or Fender version in a wider colour choice than red or white.[/quote]

Or a Roadworn Series of CV Squiers. Either Precision or Jazz (preferably both!), in sunburst and fiesta red.

I wish Fender would reissue the 60s slab Precision bass, as used by Entwistle - not so much for the bass itself (although that would be seriously cool), but for that incredible soundng pickup/tone circuit. Nobody seems to knows what was done differently, the fact is they sound utterly amazing. It's all there on Live at Leeds.

An Akai Deep Impact without the PCB issues would be nice. The Mark Bass unit is nearly there but lacks the variety of envelope sounds. The Octavius Squeezer is good but the two knob user interface is tricky to navigate.

A Genz Benz Shuttle that fits a half rack space, has twin inputs, stereo effects and can put out to two 4 ohm cabs would be nice too. Come to think of it, I might as well just buy another Shuttle 6 and have both mounted in a 2u rack chassis instead.