Why become a member? ×

First Markbass experience

Count Bassy

Had a (second) meet up with a potential band at Quad Studios in Leicester last night, and in the rehearsal room there was this MarkBass rig. Checking pictures on the net I think the amp must have been the SD800 (not the MoMark SD800) with a 4x10 and a 1x15 cab.

First thought was "Wow, I've heard a lot about these - possibly the best rig I've ever played through" but when I plugged in I just could not get a sound I liked out of it whatever I tried (Starting with everything on the bass and amp flat - except the VLE/VLP which I had fully anticlockwise).

The sound just seemed undefined with a very boomy bass. I unplugged the 1x15, which helped a bit, but even so, as soon as I turned the bass up (on the amp or at the guitar) it just sounded boomy and muddy.

Now it may have been the room I was in (pretty well a cube), but you'd like to think that a rehearsal room at a studio would have good acoustics, and there were a lot of drapes and carpets around.

Came away dissapointed by it and very happy to get back to my modestly priced Marshall gear.

Is there a trick to getting the best out the MarkBass kit, or is this just what they sound like?

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Waldo' post='1197092' date='Apr 12 2011, 05:49 PM']Or the sound just wasn't to his taste.[/quote]
or that.. i just got from the words boomy that it may have been the room...My aguilar can get very boomy in a small room..but any other time its very detailed and articulate...

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1197078' date='Apr 12 2011, 05:36 PM']Is there a trick to getting the best out the MarkBass kit, or is this just what they sound like?[/quote]
Set my MB combo flat with a smidge of VLE & VLF and love it, so I can only agree it was probably the room

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1197078' date='Apr 12 2011, 05:36 PM']..except the VLE/VLP which I had fully anticlockwise..

..The sound just seemed undefined with a very boomy bass.[/quote]
did you play around with these ? although i'm not an MB owner, i got the impression that these were the controls that defined a decent tone.. :)

What were the cabs ? My Sa450's tonal variations are lost in Aguilar GS112's, yet come out clear through an EBS Neo 2 x 12.

Also noted in the past that Markbass can do their version of a 'classic' sound, but it's nowhere near on par with an Ampeg or a Marshall.

Just my opinion of course....

T

To be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed the first time I played thru Markbass gear but I'm definitely a convert now!

First of all, I think that the amps are far better than the cabs (I am not the only one with this opinion) and there are certainly muddy sounds in there and you do need to be careful with the VLE/VLP controls.

But I really like the amps now, warm and articulate and seem to sit in the mix really well - in fact I am seriously considering getting a LM3 at the moment...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' post='1197148' date='Apr 12 2011, 06:37 PM']To be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed the first time I played thru Markbass gear but I'm definitely a convert now!

First of all, I think that the amps are far better than the cabs (I am not the only one with this opinion0and there certainly muddy sounds in there and you do need to be careful with the VLE/VLP controls.

But I really like the amps now, warm and articulate and seem to sit in the mix really well - in fact I am seriously considering getting a LM3 at the moment...[/quote]

+ 10000000000000000000

I love my LMIII, but agree that the amps are better than the cabs. I run my LMIII with an Aguilar GS112 and I can't think of anything I would want to do to change the sound I get with it.

Buy a LMIII, you won't be disappointed... do it! :)

I'm not a fan of the cabinets *ducks before I get something chucked at me* but the amps are great sounding. It's just down to personal taste for me though as anyone who has been watching my gear journey will attest!

markbass amps aren't universally loved, but 'boomy' and 'undefined' are very unusual criticisms for them

the usual concern, if there is one, is that Markbass sounds just like a very clear version of your bass with lots of definition
(hence need a good bass to start with). People who like boomy old-school sounds often end up
having to run a Sansamp or similar to make the Markbass sound LESS defined and MORE boomy !

so suspect either the room has peculiarities, or this particular amp and/or bass might have been somewhat defective or ill-matched

Personally I like Markbass amps. While their competitors are certainly catching up with lightweight amps,
Markbass usually hit nail on head for a clear yet warm version of your bass that can go loud

Thanks for your thoughts so far chaps.

To answer a few questions,

I did play with the VLE & VLP pots, but to me the best sound was with them both off.

The cabs were also MarkBass. The 4x10 had pot on the side, which I assume was a Tweeter volume pot, but again it did't seem to make much difference.

I don't know if they were ported cabs, but I assume they were. Theey were a good 3 metres away from the wall.

The bass was a Fender Urge Mk1 (i.e. active, with both Jazz and P pickups) and I couldn't get a sound I liked in any combination.

To be fair to MarkBass I didn't spend too long playing around with the controls because I didn't want to come over as a fussy/primadonna type bass player, but as someone who just got on with it - which I am I am not normally fussy about my sound. Even then I actually said at one point "I'm not normally fussy about my sound, but just can't get this to sound right"

Is it possible that the Cabs were just shagged out from being used in rehearsal rooms 12 hours a day? - although you'd like to think the studio would keep on top of that.

I just tried a markbass tube 800 and 410 ( rear Ported I think ) at Phil Nixons Bass Gear in Harrogate and was quite impressed. I have to say that bringing in the tube mix and either the Vlf or vle ( can't remember which ) really brought the thing to life. It was previously a bit sterile. However never was it boomy at all. That was in a showroom at reasonable volume too.

I was actually quite impressed - and I could just lift the 410 with one hand - nice.
S

I've just started messing more with the VLE & VPF in conjunction with one another & getting some brilliant mixes by putting them both somewhere between 10 & 12 o'clock. Suits my fuzzy filtered sound very nicely.

I still want to add a sub. :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1197182' date='Apr 12 2011, 07:04 PM']Is it possible that the Cabs were just shagged out from being used in rehearsal rooms 12 hours a day? - although you'd like to think the studio would keep on top of that.[/quote]

Highly likely. In my experience, unlikely the studio would be bothered about it as long as it still works to some degree.

The first time I ever played my Eden rig in the store I was kind of like 'so what'? It didn't sound particularly different to a lot of other amps and cab combos I'd tried that had underwhelmed me. An hour or so into trying it I was convinced it was the right setup for me and I love it now.

I find it hard to demo an amp you intend to buy in a shop or anywhere else because the sound will vary so drastically from venue to venue anyway that it's incredibly hard to get a feel for what you like about the product in store. I personally am not too keen on Markbass stuff, but if I was playing live and it was provided as a backline rig for me on a date we weren't using our own stuff, I'd still be pretty happy. The biggest problem with Markbass stuff for me is the fact that they have way too much of a product line, and after a certain point most bass amps start sounding the same anyway :). They really should condense their line.