Why become a member? ×

String just broke 5 days before a gig

Mikeg

Was just playing around on my ibby and the g string uncoiled and is now totaly dead. is there anywhere that sells single DR hi beams?
The other strings are not as bright as they were out of the packet but they arent too bad. Will having a newer string sound odd?
Cheers
Mike

[quote name='deanovw' post='1194416' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:17 AM']Why not just change the whole set?[/quote]

I guess you dont know what a set of Hi Beams cost!

If you could find one I think with the G you would get away with the brightness, How much use does the D and G get compared to the E and A anyway for example?

[quote name='deanovw' post='1194416' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:17 AM']Why not just change the whole set?[/quote]
+1
Also, it might seem expensive buy if you are gigging you really should have a spare set handy.. this time you got 5 days to sort it out, next time you might not be so lucky!

I would always just change the full set. The G is already a bright sounding string,,having an even newer one on your bass than the rest of the strings will only highlight this even more.

IMHO it will only lead to an even sound until the new string mellows.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1194433' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:31 AM']I would always just change the full set. The G is already a bright sounding string,,having an even newer one on your bass than the rest of the strings will only highlight this even more.

IMHO it will only lead to an even sound until the new string mellows.[/quote]
He could fit a Roto G string? Within a day it will have more bottom end than a Dingwall Low B :)

Since you don't want to go to the cost of a new set of DR's you could ring up one of the shops and ask them if they have singles. I did this with a LA Bella super step, but it broke after 1 day so the rest of the set was pretty lively...and a shop supplied me with the one...but you are getting into fraught ground, IMV.
You don't say how old the set is..but 'if not too bad'..I'd suggest a good couple of weeks, a new string will stick out like a sore thumb so you are going to have to clean the others up anyway which involves taking them off the bass and cleansing and then putting back on again. This is, in itself, a gamble as those strings could be weakened if you aren't very careful.

I can't believe you are going to a gig without a spare set anyway.

Buy a cheap spare set of Elites or something. I am not sure how discerning you are but you don't have a spare set and the strings sound not too bad... sounds like you don't really need to stick at the DR brand, especially if you think they are too expensive.

You could alway try to get a a SH DR Hi Beam G string here, but again, I'd be wary of putting on a string that has been used on anything other than the bass or model it is going to go back on.

Edited by JTUK

You don't say how long you've had the strings on the bass.
I tried DR Low Riders once and popped the A string in about 3 weeks,so I did what I always do....replace the whole set. I don't like the sound of mismatched strings.

I've only broken a few strings in several decades but you're lucky to have five days to sort it out because when it happens at a gig you'll have less than five minutes to sort it.

And when you break one at a gig you will have to put up with one string being brighter - which no one else will notice - because you won't have time to change the full set.

The alternative to a spare set of strings is a spare bass.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1194732' date='Apr 10 2011, 04:26 PM']I've only broken a few strings in several decades but you're lucky to have five days to sort it out because when it happens at a gig you'll have less than five minutes to sort it.

And when you break one at a gig you will have to put up with one string being brighter - which no one else will notice - because you won't have time to change the full set.

The alternative to a spare set of strings is a spare bass.[/quote]

I used to break strings regularly at gigs. I always keep a used set of strings as a backup set. If I broke one live I had a set already stretched, cut to length and not too bright sounding. Could change it in seconds. :)

[quote name='deanovw' post='1194752' date='Apr 10 2011, 04:42 PM']I used to break strings regularly at gigs. I always keep a used set of strings as a backup set. If I broke one live I had a set already stretched, cut to length and not too bright sounding. Could change it in seconds. :)[/quote]
I keep old sets too, this is a good use for them.

If you do find somewhere that'll sell a single Hi Beam G then could you let me know please?

I had one break on me straight away, not playing hard either it just went on our 2nd song. Kinda put me off the brand tbh as i don't expect a suspect batch when paying that much for strings.
Seeing as i have 3 almost new strings i could do with a replacement G!

Cheers!

[quote name='Mikeg' post='1194410' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:10 AM']Was just playing around on my ibby and the g string uncoiled and is now totaly dead. is there anywhere that sells single DR hi beams?
The other strings are not as bright as they were out of the packet but they arent too bad. Will having a newer string sound odd?
Cheers
Mike[/quote]

Just get anotehr brand of strings, full set, something you can get locally, and change all. I wouldn't mix old and new that way.
That's what I'd do if I got caught without spares of my favourite brand/type.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1196007' date='Apr 11 2011, 05:47 PM']when you say easily...i take it your playing very hard...or is the string very worn?? dont think ive ever even come close breaking a string..in fact even if i pulled really hard on a string it wouldnt break?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly

[quote name='Telebass' post='1195753' date='Apr 11 2011, 02:30 PM']How does anyone manage to break bass strings???[/quote]

I used to play in a covers band doing alot of Red Hot Chilli Peppers stuff. I broke more strings than the guitarists and had more blisters than them too! :)

Cheers for all the reply's guys. i tried to find a single string but to no avail, so today i forked out and bought a new set. As i'm a very poor student it was quite a blow :)
But it was worth it, they sound great and i transfered the remaining strings to my other bass. Which makes them sound terrible but thats another matter