Why become a member? ×

String just broke 5 days before a gig

Mikeg

In my, nearly 40 years, of playing bass, I don't recall [i]ever[/i] breaking a string - and trust me, I ain't no string tickler.

If strings break "Easily" I would suggest that the nut and bridge/saddles may need some attention. Although, If your strings are a hundred years old or if you're a heavy gauge pick player with an aggressive style, then, a string break is obviously more likely.

[quote name='deanovw' post='1196054' date='Apr 11 2011, 06:35 PM']I used to play in a covers band doing alot of Red Hot Chilli Peppers stuff. I broke more strings than the guitarists and had more blisters than them too! :)[/quote]

:)

I've been in a RHCP tribute band for 2 years now and have broken... zero strings. Not exactly light-handed either!

I'm surprised that anybody breaks bass strings regularly. I broke lots of high Es and Bs on guitar as I liked "extreme bending" ala Gilmour, but can't imagine breaking bass strings much.
I think I only broke two strings, and that was due to using the wrong length and trying to coil them in the wrong part of the string.

I've only ever broken 2 strings, the first time was when I bought a second hand bass with old strings on, and many months later the E randomly snapped while I was doing some very light balladesque (is that a word? :)) plucking. Second time was when I left the same grimy old strings on my old 6er for 3 years, and after a particularly aggressive bit of noodling without an amp, the high C string pinged out!

I'd definately look at your bridge and nut if you're breaking strings regularly, especially as DR strings aren't exactly a cheapo brand