Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else avoid open strings?

gub

I use open strings as stepping stones to get to places and as passing notes, for example if I'm in F major I've got my major 3rd on the A, my major 6th and my 9th on the G, the major 6th and 9th in particular work well as stepping stones to get to other notes or the next chord, it's a classic James Jamerson trick. If I'm in C then I've got my 2nd on the D, a low major 3rd on the E below and my 5 on the G above etc. If the notes don't function in the key I'm playing in then you're only ever one note away from something that does and therefore you can just use them as chromatic passing notes if you want to.

Edited by risingson

I'm suprised the slight tonal inconsistencies are audible over a band mix. I just find open strings easier, don't really see any reason to avoid them. On DB they're always welcome as they give your left hand a nice quick rest, whilst also allowing it time to move to the next place. If you were playing over an Ebmaj would you really jump to the 5th fret to play the G?

It really depends on what I'm playing. I try to play fretted notes as opposed to open but things like Muse's Hysteria would be a tad tricky on a 4 string bass!

Also if I'm doing a run or arpeggio I'll utilise open notes to make it easier to move about the fretboard.

As [b]Ringson[/b] stated a few posts above. As well as use of passing notes, often using an open note gives one more time to move the hand to the next note, especially if its more than 6 or 7 frets away, the open note can be sounding whilst the hand positions for the next note. I Remember Stuart Hamm showing this in a particularly fine example in one of his regular columns in Bass Guitar magazine.

So Hey if Stuart Hamm says its ok, then its fine by me :)

Edited by daz

In a reading situation, open strings on a page turn are your best friend :)
Fretted Es, As, Ds, Gs etc have a thicker, fuller sound but the open equivalents have different qualities that may be more desirable.

One man's Hysteria is another (older) man's Footloose.

All makes sense, and i suppose if it works for you then thats got to be the way to go ,little differences in playing tecnique are what makes up for a varied cross section of bass players ,would be very boring if we all played the same ! thinking about it i have reached for my drink while playing an open E before too! :)

I tend to avoid them but not entirely and iften need to use E as others have mentioned.

However, I DO avoid using the moment to ostentatiously wave my left arm about or conspicuously dangle it limply by my side in a "look at me I only need one hand" style.

I never consciously avoid open strings, unless an open note would ring over a subsequent note on a lower string - playing that note in a fretted position is usually simpler than muting an open one. I wouldn't say I notice any significant tonal differences between open & fretted notes, particularly in a band context.

A good few years ago it occurred to me I was habitually playing a lot of parts unnecessarily clumsily, moving my hand up & down the board to get to notes rather than crossing & using open strings - this was particularly awkward when singing & playing. I ended up re-learning a lot of my lines using more logical positional playing & open strings where possible. This has stuck when composing or learning parts - I always try to work something out so I play it with the most economy of movement - one finger per fret, open strings, crossing strings etc.

Jon.

[quote name='thinman' post='1178642' date='Mar 27 2011, 07:40 PM']However, I DO avoid using the moment to ostentatiously wave my left arm about or conspicuously dangle it limply by my side in a "look at me I only need one hand" style.[/quote]

Hmmmm........that's where I'm going wrong. I must use open strings more often :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1178258' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:37 PM']i was told on Friday that a bass line that the guitarist wanted me to play HAD TO have an open E in it. it was just a cover of some song.

I told him nah I dont really use open notes,,,,,there was an awkward silence,,,I was then instructed,,,but its an open note thats played![/quote]

Unless you are playing a five,how else will you play the low E? Unless of course you are detuned,in which case you will
have to fret the E anyway.

I don't get why you wouldn't use open strings? It's just another place to play a note which may be easier than shifting to
it's fretted equivalent. Why limit yourself to what notes you can and can't play.

I'd never really considered this much before, but I've just being playing a few things and realised that I use open strings a lot. As Doddy said, why would you not use them? If an open string sounds good in the context of what you are playing and it's in the key of the song...or even if it isn't for that matter but it works, then go for it.

I don't have any formal bass training, so it's always been a process of trial and error for me, but I'm a firm believer in trusting your instincts and ears. I often play a phrase in a particular place on the bass, not because it's the easiest place to play it, but because of the particular tonal characteristic it imparts, or because is just feels right to my fingers. I'm sure on a technical level, I do all kinds of things 'wrong', but I think it's often the 'imperfections' in a musician's playing that give it character, otherwise we would all sound like clones, and who needs that?

I usually aim for close to the nut as possible, and hit as many open notes as possible when I'm playing riffs or anything that requires an aggressive sound. If I'm playing melodic lines I will try to play high up the neck and avoid open notes altogether, for a warmer more consistent tone :)

[quote name='thinman' post='1178642' date='Mar 27 2011, 07:40 PM']I tend to avoid them but not entirely and iften need to use E as others have mentioned.

However, I DO avoid using the moment to ostentatiously wave my left arm about or conspicuously dangle it limply by my side in a "look at me I only need one hand" style.[/quote]

[quote name='gjones' post='1178772' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:11 PM']Hmmmm........that's where I'm going wrong. I must use open strings more often :)[/quote]

The goal is to have both arms hanging limply. Then you know you're gifted! :)

[quote name='gub' post='1178216' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:08 PM']I have only recently realised but i must of ben doing it for years ,if there is an open string note in a bassline i will make it into a freted note somewhere else ,just wondered if anyone else does the same ? prob bad technique as sometimes it means more of a fiddle to get to it .[/quote]

Guilty as charged! I only use them where absolutely necessary (apart from low E of course). No idea why.

Edited by 4000