Why become a member? ×

How many of us go out single handed ??

bassbluestew

Carrying on from ThomBassMonkeys thread about searching for the ideal backup bass, I thought I'd fire up my question.

Who doesn't take out a backup bass ??

I'll be the frist to hold up my hand and say ME !!.

For years I took out two basses to every gig, until I just got so fed up leaving one in its case and I stopped.
I have been playing bass for over 35 years now and have only ever broken one string.....that was many, many years back at the old Marquee Club in London. And it was an E string too, must have been a dodgy string as I have never been an agressive player, sure I dig in a bit, but even so.

Like Thom, I struggled with this issue for many years, should I get something similar to my main bass, or should I get something very different. After all who wants two versions of exactly the same bass ?? I certainly didn't and would have considered it a scandelous waste of money - I'm not rich enough to own multiple copies of anything really.
Ok, so if I now decide to go for something different, HOW different do I go ?? Should it at least have the same number of strings ?? Similar tonal style ?? Same manufacturer ?? Eventually I gave up. Dazed and indeed Confused. Started taking only one bass to gigs about 2 years back now and haven't looked back since.

I have NEVER had a bass break down on me and I have averaged 100 gigs a year for a good few years now. I guess I have always used basses of a reasonable quality and have looked after them quite well so am limiting daft annoying problems.

For this reason alone, I decided to sell both my gigging basses and buy one bass - my dream bass.

So far so good and I hope I haven't jinxed it.
I should own up to also owning another bass, and I suppose at a real push I could gig it......as you can see from my sig it's not exactly ideal and I have never taken in to a gig. Now actually that's not true, I did ionce take it to a gig to play "Crazy Little thing called Love" with a Freddie Mercury / Queen tribute act who was a guest at a wedding we were doing. Worked out ok for that.

Apparently Jeff Berlin only owns one bass and only ever travels with one. I find that hard to believe myself.

Thoughts good people ??
Yours Aye,
Stewart

I used to always take two basses because I was really heavy-handed and use to break strings all the time. I was picking so hard I had to rest my thumb on the bridge pickup because any further up the body the strings would just flap all over the place. Unfortunately it gave me more leverage against the bridge saddles and that is where all the strings would break.

I use flats now and pick gently over the front pickup or up by the neck, so I don't bother taking a spare bass any more. I haven't broken a string for about ten years, where I used to break them weekly.

I always take a backup, my main bass is my ACG, and my backup is a shine sixer I bought off here. It never comes out of its case, but if I do get a problem, it will get me through a set until I can get the prob sorted. With all the other gear we take to gigs, another bass doesn't make too much difference

Up until recently I've always taken a spare bass to gigs for several reasons.

1. Very early on in my gigging career I broke a string on my bass during the opening number of our set. I didn't have either a spare string (I'd never considered the possibility of breaking a string) or a spare bass and had to borrow the support band's Violin bass which was horrible and for me almost unplayable. There were lots of other things that went wrong during that gig and in the grant scheme of things the broken bass string was relatively minor, but as a band we decided that the situation should be avoided in the future and the simplest way was for me to have a spare bass.

2. I've also played guitar in bands in the past and I would never ever considering doing a gig on guitar without a spare to hand. In fact out of all the gigs I've done on guitar I would say I've needed the spare guitar because of string breakages more often than not.

When I use a pick I do tend to play quite hard, and although I've never broken a string live since that first occasion, I have at one time or another managed to break every string on my bass including the low B in rehearsals. I really hate it when I see other bands faffing about on stage because someone has broken a string and isn't prepared. IMO no matter how fast you are at restringing your bass, it's not fast enough to maintain the momentum of the sorts of gigs that I play and therefore it's far more professional to just grab the spare bass should the need arise.

However, having said that, I have recently not bothered with a spare at gigs where I know that transport and stage space is going to be limited. TBH it' probably 5 years since I last broke a bass string and I do change strings far more frequently these day. Of course now I've just jinxed myself and expect to see all sorts of equipment failures next time I play without a spare.

Per my other reply, I have never taken nor needed a backup. My gig experience is way less than others (maybe 60-70 gigs) but I rarely ever get paid and - never having had a problem with string or electrical issues - see no point bringing a backup.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1174078' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:23 PM']My band gets paid to put on a show. If we're messing about changing strings during a set then we're not doing our jobs. Even a guitar change (with the help of a roadie) can break the flow if not handled properly. Even a "quick" string change is approaching the length of a song.[/quote]
Yep that's my point on the other (same/similar) thread. I agree you lose a song per string change which could be at the expense of your killer last song all you mates have come to hear :)

I really don't get where this idea that snapping a string on stage is unprofessional is coming from. Has anyone ever lost the plot or asked for their money back because a musician snapped a string? I can do a quick change and tune up in about 30 seconds if need be, there's a multitude of distractions the rest of the band (even a solo artist) can offer in the mean time. Not that I break strings.

P.S. I'm not anti-bring-a backup-bass, I'm just defending against the suggestion that by not doing so is somehow not doing your bit.

It's unprofessional because a dancefloor can clear in the time it takes to change a string. It's surprising how little time people are prepared to stand still with no music playing whilst everyone else in the building looks at them!

I suppose you could always do a song with a long guitar intro to keep the flow going, but what's worse - bringing another bass or having to play Alright Now? :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1174097' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:51 PM']I really don't get where this idea that snapping a string on stage is unprofessional is coming from. Has anyone ever lost the plot or asked for their money back because a musician snapped a string? I can do a quick change and tune up in about 30 seconds if need be, there's a multitude of distractions the rest of the band (even a solo artist) can offer in the mean time. Not that I break strings.

P.S. I'm not anti-bring-a backup-bass, I'm just defending against the suggestion that by not doing so is somehow not doing your bit.[/quote]
Back in the days where we were young and handsome enough our set was often timed to perfection with only about 7 songs to squeeze into a timed slot, go over the slot and they turn the PA off to keep to tight band swaps.

Nowadays I could just fit a string while someone told a dirty joke (heard a great sick one today that would start a row) and carry on regardless I agree although the jack on my EBMM SR4 is getting worn out now.

I have done it only a handful of times, when I feel the gig is "important", because of the money involved or other reasons. In that case I have two basses on stage and both ready. Never had to use it.
I have carried a spare amp head too a few times since that day I got the White Smoke during soundcheck from my nearly new RH450. Now I just bring a DI pedal.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1174097' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:51 PM']P.S. I'm not anti-bring-a backup-bass, I'm just defending against the suggestion that by not doing so is somehow not doing your bit.[/quote]

It's not so much that by not bringing a backup you're not doing your bit. It's more that if you're being a professional, you should try and have a plan B for as many problems as possible. Bringing a spare bass is a great plan B for all of your bass guitar hardware problems. If you have room for one in your car, considering the amount of hassle it could save, why would you not bring one? :)

If you'd just driven halfway across the country to a gig, then your jack socket decides to go iffy (even if you checked before you set off, it has to go at some point, why should it be between a rehearsal and the check rather than the check and a gig?) and you don't have a spare, what do you do? Play with your bass cutting out? Hope that another band would lend you a bass (as said on the other thread, I'd never lend out an instrument, I know a lot of people are the same)? Not play? If it's a paying gig, you really should have something.

There's only so many examples I can give of why a backup would be important, it should be obvious why it's important to try and make gigs run as smoothly as possible. Not taking a backup bass because you couldn't be bothered to pick it up on the way out of the door strikes me as odd. I don't want to offend anyone here, but if I was in a band with someone that was prepared to risk having a gig not run smoothly because they couldn't be bothered to spend 2 extra seconds picking up one more thing, I'd seriously question their commitment.

If anyone can offer a good reason not to take a spare bass (assuming there's room and no other constraints on physically getting the bass to the venue) to a gig, I'd be interested in hearing it. Things like "I haven't broken a string in X years" or "it only takes 2 minutes to change a string" are kinda irrelevant because you could break a string at any time, even if you've never broken one and it only takes 10 seconds to change a bass. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1174149' date='Mar 24 2011, 01:56 AM']It's not so much that by not bringing a backup you're not doing your bit. It's more that if you're being a professional, you should try and have a plan B for as many problems as possible. Bringing a spare bass is a great plan B for all of your bass guitar hardware problems. If you have room for one in your car, considering the amount of hassle it could save, why would you not bring one? :)

If you'd just driven halfway across the country to a gig, then your jack socket decides to go iffy (even if you checked before you set off, it has to go at some point, why should it be between a rehearsal and the check rather than the check and a gig?) and you don't have a spare, what do you do? Play with your bass cutting out? Hope that another band would lend you a bass (as said on the other thread, I'd never lend out an instrument, I know a lot of people are the same)? Not play? If it's a paying gig, you really should have something.

There's only so many examples I can give of why a backup would be important, it should be obvious why it's important to try and make gigs run as smoothly as possible. Not taking a backup bass because you couldn't be bothered to pick it up on the way out of the door strikes me as odd. I don't want to offend anyone here, but if I was in a band with someone that was prepared to risk having a gig not run smoothly because they couldn't be bothered to spend 2 extra seconds picking up one more thing, I'd seriously question their commitment.

If anyone can offer a good reason not to take a spare bass (assuming there's room and no other constraints on physically getting the bass to the venue) to a gig, I'd be interested in hearing it. Things like "I haven't broken a string in X years" or "it only takes 2 minutes to change a string" are kinda irrelevant because you could break a string at any time, even if you've never broken one and it only takes 10 seconds to change a bass. :)[/quote]
Point taken but the implication that we don't cover this particular eventuality through being lazy, unprofessional or risk taking saboteurs is a tad closed-minded, it's just that our plan B is different from yours.

What happens if you pop a string on your backup too (it's statistically just as likely to happen)? Gig over?

If my jack socket went wonky, I'd fix it with chewing gum and silver paper if I had to - although I do carry a small tool kit (including a wee gas soldering iron) with me so it probably wouldn't be necessary to get so Heath Robinson on it's ass. :D

Some of us have the luxury of walking to some venues. An extra bit of significant kit that might only get used once every 500 gigs can be a bit of a hinderence... especially on the way home. :lol:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1174154' date='Mar 24 2011, 05:01 AM']What happens if you pop a string on your backup too (it's statistically just as likely to happen)? Gig over?[/quote]

I think you maybe comparing the wrong statistics. If you assume there's a 1% chance of breaking a string, then:
- with one bass your chance of having a string breakage cause a delay is 1%
- with two basses, the chance is 1% of 1%, i.e. 0.01%

In the former case, 1 out of every hundred gigs (on average) you'll have a problem, in the latter 1 out of every ten-thousand (on average).

Mostly though it matters what the impact of a broken string / dodgy bass is. and if you are willing to suffer the consequences. Even as an amateur, I love playing and don't want to let people down, so always take two basses to a gig. However - I used to play keyboards, so taking 2 basses + bag with amp + speaker cab is nothing next to taking a Hammond organ + electric piano + mixer + amp + cab etc etc etc.

Always taken one, never needed one.

I never break strings, but I have a tendency to be in bands with clumsy people, so always assume that one of them will step on my bass, or trip over and fall on it, something like that. Hence the backup bass.

Spose I shouldn`t worry though, US Fenders are virtually indestructable, but you never know.............