Why become a member? ×

Bass Effects - how many of you use them?

BottomE

[quote name='BottomE' post='1169001' date='Mar 19 2011, 11:20 PM']Wow. One of my bands is cover band. Do you use your effects to achieve a sound as close as possible to the original bass sound or is it to change the sound of your basses regardless of song?[/quote]

Guilty as charged. I use a V-Bass with my covers band, which is playing stuff from the '70s up to the present day. Originally this was because I heard Ped play some great synth sounds at a bass bash with absolutely no tracking or technique issues (mind you he does have pretty good technique!). And we have quite a few things which sound better with synths, either analog or more modern. I also have a really neat little Novastation which does great bass sounds, but it's just more convenient to have it all in one place and I haven't got around to trying that instead with the band.

I quickly found that it was also useful to be able to switch between stingray, jazz, precision and T-Bird sounds and if you want to experiment you can also emulate specific sounds, for example the dreaded 'Dont Stop' which I think has a great and very distinctive bass sound. All at the flick of a footswitch.

And then there are things like the Muse version of 'Feelin Good', which call for a bass, a fretless bass and a double bass all in one song. No problem.

As for the technique comments, I think you have that bass-ackwards. Anyone using a synth or octave pedal needs to have really clean and precise technique
or it sounds like a horrible mess.

[quote name='tomb' post='1168981' date='Mar 19 2011, 03:52 PM']i dont use but ive been dying to get my hands on a Fuzz... problem is they are a bit expensive new and ppl here dont seem to want to send it to my country. tried to get a local shop to make one but they charge 100€ :)[/quote]If you're good with a soldering iron it's the easiest effect to make.

Here's a super simple one
[url="http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html"]http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html[/url]

And a more complex one that had some subtlety I really liked.
[url="http://www.runoffgroove.com/sili-face2.html"]http://www.runoffgroove.com/sili-face2.html[/url]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1169108' date='Mar 20 2011, 02:48 AM']It's not really about making up for a lack of ability, it's about making the noises you want to make. I'm happy with my dry bass sound but I don't always want to sound like a bass guitar, that's all there is to it really.[/quote]
Nutshell.

Well I use a number of different effects: Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz, Compression, EQ, Sub Octave, Filters, Synths, Phaser, Flanger, Delay, Reverb, Chorus etc. etc. all in different combinations and although it may seem a little overkill when written out like that, I use the effects to taste with my 3 piece band. With influences like Wolstenholme, Mahoney from Amplifier and Zender, I don't think that it's such a suprise that my pedalboard has become an instrument in itself - but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy bypassing everything from time to time and just playing clean. Well, at least SOME of the time!

When I was playing actively in a band I used to occasionally use a little compression (because I played slap back in those days and it would even things out a little) and I also used a bit of chorus but only when I felt the song needed it.

Nowadays I have a Boss multi-fx board but tend to mainly use auto-wah (for a bit of fun and for a funky feel) and a bit of reverb when soloing. If I were to get rid of the multi-fx I could replace it easily with just an auto-wah and reverb (and looper, not sure if that counts as an effect ?).

With regards the technique question. My techniqe's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but none of these effects would hide anything, more likely they'd accentuate anything bad that I do.

I've got a Zoom B2.1u

Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't. Depends what I want at the time. Currently I don't use it, however I will be setting up some patches for certain songs in my band's set list as I think they'll add to the sound. (when I figured out how to use the damn thing properly - I've only had it 12 months :) )

[quote name='BottomE' post='1168983' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:55 PM']I can only make comparisons to guitarists using effects to cover technique issues and was careful to say that some of them not most weren't as effective or fluid playing without them.[/quote]

Worth bearing in mind that in order to play certain pieces effectively on guitar - and possibly bass too - certain effects are required. Take away those effects and the playing isn't as fluid or effective because the technique and sound has been shaped around use of those effects. I can think of a lot of songs that would fail completely is the guitarist had to play clean and straight. Where would Bootsie be without his filters? Also worth bearing in mind that a player who plays be feel will find it harder to 'reset' their feelings when effects are taken away.

This is different from having sloppy technique, which will always be poor, not matter how much reverb and distortion is applied.

FWIW I like bass without effects, except compression and EQ. I like (and play) guitar in all sorts of flavours, including very heavily effected and completely spanking clean.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1169304' date='Mar 20 2011, 11:00 AM']If you're good with a soldering iron it's the easiest effect to make.

Here's a super simple one
[url="http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html"]http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html[/url]

And a more complex one that had some subtlety I really liked.
[url="http://www.runoffgroove.com/sili-face2.html"]http://www.runoffgroove.com/sili-face2.html[/url][/quote]

never did any soldering in my life and looking at any of those pictures it kinda looks chinese to me :\

Effects are just tools.
If you need that screwdriver to tighten a screw, you will need a screwdriver. If you need a hammer instead , the screwdriver will not help that much.
I only use bass-> cable-> amp
after i have experimented much with compressors, maximizers, chorus, overdrive etc etc.
for my personnel sound i just need my sunn amp, a precision and a good cable,
As my sunn amp has a two channel tube compressor built in.
in my eyes, a compressor ist the most useful effect, which you should start with.
There is no right or wrong, just a left and right way. You choose, which way will lead you to your home.

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='icastle' post='1168970' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:40 PM']I've never quite got the hang of compression - I don't actually want all the notes to come out the same volume all the while, and if I do then I just adjust my playing style.[/quote]

Just got to say, I'm hoping this is a trolling exercise/joke... If so, bravo. If no, I don't even know where to begin...

I use a lot more effects now than I used to, but only when I feel that they add something interesting to the sound of the song. I mainly use a zoom b2.1u, a separate EBS compressor pedal (because the compressor on the zoom is crap) and a tech 21 VT pedal to warm up my fretted bass a tad.

I like a splash of reverb on my fretless - I also use a fair bit of octaver with it too. I use a bit of delay here and there, I use some distortion on one section of a particular song, a phaser on another, some wah on another....you get the idea. I find compression is useful to help the bass cut through better live, but I generally record without it.

But I think it really depends on what kind of band you are in and what sort of music you are playing. In my case, they are 50% my songs and all my bass lines, so I have free reign to do what I like. I do play some songs with a clean sound too.

I think effects are fun to experiment with, and can be very effective when used tastefully and creatively. I think Tony Levin is a brilliant exponent of effects on bass. But I don't think you can really use them to compensate for bad playing though. You can't polish a turd after all.

I play "clean" 95% of the time, and certainly for all our original material. Occasional use of a distortion pedal if we're doing Time is Running Out by Muse as the intro justs sounds weird without it :)

Other than that I own a Chorus pedal that is in it's box, and I do have a Hartke Bass Attack for its DI ability.

[quote name='skej21' post='1169728' date='Mar 20 2011, 05:44 PM']Just got to say, I'm hoping this is a trolling exercise/joke... If so, bravo. If no, I don't even know where to begin...[/quote]

I don't like using compression live either in a lot of situations, although at bigger gigs with decent soundsystems/sound guys then it certainly has it's uses. In the studio of course it's an entirely different story. I assume iCastle probably means a similar thing?

Ah okay, how do you call it then, a "nit-picker"?:)

As long as the compressor effects your original tone and this is the case even when it is not noticeable, i think the name effect is chosen well.
Lets have a look for instance in audacity..under effects..ahh..a compressor, even wikipedia lists compressor as an effect.

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='risingson' post='1169810' date='Mar 20 2011, 06:58 PM']I don't like using compression live either in a lot of situations, although at bigger gigs with decent soundsystems/sound guys then it certainly has it's uses. In the studio of course it's an entirely different story. I assume iCastle probably means a similar thing?[/quote]

Personally, I think the use of compression is often needed more in live sound, as it's purpose is to reduce the maximum and minimum levels of an audio signal, which means you can claim your own space in the overall sound and don't take up room you don't need, meaning the overall sound can be cleaner and plenty of space for all instruments to be heard, rather thana "wall of sound" approach which most bands seem to settle for. Same reason as why you would use compression in the recording studio, just in a slightly different context.

I like this description -

Compression is often used to make music sound louder without increasing its peak amplitude. By compressing the peak (or loudest) signals, it becomes possible to increase the overall gain (or volume) of a signal without exceeding the dynamic limits of a reproduction device or medium. The net effect, [b]when compression is applied along with a gain boost, is that relatively quiet sounds become louder, while louder sounds remain unchanged[/b]...

This is why I use it in a live setting.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1169831' date='Mar 20 2011, 07:14 PM']IMO a compressor isn't an effect unless you crank it to insane-o-squish.[/quote]

As for this, I would actually agree. Audio processing (live or in the studio) is a different thing to effecting the audio. Of course, you can use compression as an effect, but I tend to use it for it's intended purpose and not as an effect.

In which case, I don't use any effects. Just a tuner and some audio processing :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='risingson' post='1169810' date='Mar 20 2011, 06:58 PM']I don't like using compression live either in a lot of situations, although at bigger gigs with decent soundsystems/sound guys then it certainly has it's uses. In the studio of course it's an entirely different story. I assume iCastle probably means a similar thing?[/quote]

Something like that.
At larger gigs they're useful as they can increase the overall gain without the transient peaks flying over the peak threshold of the amps and can give the impression of 'seperation' as well.
Used properly in a studio they create a consistent dynamic range.

The most important two words in the above paragraph are [b]used properly[/b]. :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1169862' date='Mar 20 2011, 07:36 PM']Personally, I think the use of compression is often needed more in live sound, as it's purpose is to reduce the maximum and minimum levels of an audio signal, which means you can claim your own space in the overall sound and don't take up room you don't need, meaning the overall sound can be cleaner and plenty of space for all instruments to be heard, rather thana "wall of sound" approach which most bands seem to settle for. Same reason as why you would use compression in the recording studio, just in a slightly different context.

I like this description -

Compression is often used to make music sound louder without increasing its peak amplitude. By compressing the peak (or loudest) signals, it becomes possible to increase the overall gain (or volume) of a signal without exceeding the dynamic limits of a reproduction device or medium. The net effect, [b]when compression is applied along with a gain boost, is that relatively quiet sounds become louder, while louder sounds remain unchanged[/b]...

This is why I use it in a live setting.[/quote]

It's horses for courses for me, in smaller venues I never use it, we never get complaints of an uneven level across the front of house and depending on what kind of venue it is I don't think the results of me using a compressor would be well noted amongst the average gig goer. Larger venues I would certainly expect any decent sound tech to be using decent compression i.e. considerably better than what I could own in a pedal, and by that stage it's out of my hands anyway having usually been D.I'ed.

Just sitting down to practice and i want to see what using the EBS compressor does. Never really used it.

I guess going back to my original post though there are definitely more of you (who have posted) that use some kind of addition to your raw sound than don't. This makes the engineer who started me thinking about all this right i guess. I am a dinosaur :)

Effects? Do I need them?

Depends entirely on what kind of music I'm playing.

For my current band Dick Venom & The Terrortones, I have a little bit of compression and two different amounts of drive. That's all the music needs.

In previous bands my bass has been so heavily processed, that if you took away the effects, what I was playing would have sounded completely out of context with the rest of the instruments.

Both approaches are equally valid. It's a question of using the right one at the right time.

I use loads of FX, but only as and when they're required. I've got 6 distortion / overdrive / fuzz units (not all on the same board), and depending what and where I'm playing I'll pack certain ones for a specific sound. My MXR 80 tends to follow me around, as it's a quality DI, and my amp won't let me do 'post EQ' DI out, other than than I use a bit of chorus and /or delay on slower songs, particularly on fretless, and octave on a few songs too.

The envelope filter takes up the most space on the board, but gets the least use. I just can't bring myself to get rid though.

Using effects that need to 'track' the pitch being played (octaver / SYB5) requires really precise technique, so as far as the OP goes, I'd say it works the other way - a more accurate playing style is needed for certain FX pedals.