Why become a member? ×

God I hate ........ slap bass

Clarky

I don't mind slap when it's in context but it so rarely happens. The technique was forever soiled for me when it seemed every bleedin' bassist in Dublin was slapping through every single song, no matter how awful it sounded, in the early '90's, something that just got immeasurably worse after RHCP got big. It seemed almost every bassist was struck down with guitarist's "Look at me!" syndrome, pummeling the bejesus out of their shiny new Stingrays. Horrible days.

Unless your name is Larry Graham, put your thumb away, fella.

Edited by Doctor J

I don't hate it, but I almost never use it and find the mandatory use of it to demo gear incredibly tiresome! I love and respect bass players like Larry Graham and Louis Johnson but it dates records and is very much a thing of the past. I've not been to a bass show before, but I've seen videos of them before and I can only imagine what it must have been like.

No specific Fender booth, although various retailers there had Fenders (Mansons, Bass Merchant etc). Some of the stands were offering show discounts. I met Mark from Bass Direct, Phi from BassGear and a bunch of BC'ers (Machines, Dood, Molan, SiBob, MythSte and maybe half a dozen more [before I end up typing up a BassChat membership list!]).

I only got GAS for the new Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 amp. But sadly my abiding memory will be of a Motorhead-level assault of "thwakity wacka wacka thwak thwacka" etc

I haven't been to one of these types of events/shows for over twenty years and they were the same back then by the sound of it.

I like slap, but what I hate is those guys busy trying to slap as fast a possible as it somehow it proves their manhood or something. This said I don't think they're much worse than those people who play ridiculously loud trying to drown everyone else out (and don't even get me started on horrible distorted bass noises :)).

I wanted to go...if only to see a lot of gear under the same roof...
But it would my head in.. and this from someone who has been slapping for eons.

If anyone asks if I do it, I tell them no as the ability to do it in the right place and time, seems to be beyond so many.

At some gigs, I'll have a 2 bar fill, if that..and yet the amount of time people devote to practising it..???????

Glad I played golf instead..crap round though, and tomorrow I'll watch the rugby

Always the same. Some people pick up a bass in a shop and right away the slap fest begins!! Gets right on my wick. I often wonder in what musical contex do they use it? Level 42 tribute band?

Only thing that should be slapped is Jackie Wright`s head from Benny Hill.

[attachment=74640:jackie_20wright_1_.jpg]

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1159565' date='Mar 12 2011, 05:16 PM']I often wonder in what musical contex do they use it? Level 42 tribute band?[/quote]

Well,I played 3 tunes last night where I was required to slap.

It was only on the way to the show that it dawned on me the show may be full of people slapping - I guess because it's not how I approach the bass I hadn't thought about it. There was little point trying kit as the noise was just incredible. At other shows people have used headphones....