Why become a member? ×

Jaco's Sound

Pete Academy

I've recently noticed that some people are not fans of Jaco's sound. Fair enough.

Have these people judged this on Youtube clips or have actually listened to his sound on the albums?

The back pickup sound on a Jazz bass cuts through a mix. It allows you to be heard.

It also requires a lot of pressure on the string, and good technique. Try listening to Bernard Edwards, too.

I think it is very much a "marmite" tone.

While it has its benefits, the fact that many people describe such tones as "burpy" does not indicate a universally positive perception.

In the wrong hands, I think such tones sound like a bass version of Vic Reeves doing the pub singer.

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

[quote name='endorka' post='1140430' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:04 PM']I think it is very much a "marmite" tone.

While it has its benefits, the fact that many people describe such tones as "burpy" does not indicate a universally positive perception.

In the wrong hands, I think such tones sound like a bass version of Vic Reeves doing the pub singer.

Jennifer[/quote]
but jim's the best pub singer in the world! sorry, club singer.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='endorka' post='1140430' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:04 PM']I think it is very much a "marmite" tone.

Jennifer[/quote]

Good point.

I think wanting to be heard and playing bass are not always the best of bed fellows, there are times where I find even the great players are just a bit too in your face, it's entirely personal, I would never denigrate because I can see the value.
I don't care about being heard so much as felt... my big kick is getting folk on to the floor. Because I know they find the bass irresistible and I know that (mostly) they are not really aware of why. I dig that.

Edited by jakesbass

I don't dislike his sound, as sonically on record, particularly when he's playing slower passages it's a very rich and sonorous tone. I don't think it's a tone that's dated particularly well however, so in the context of most contemporary music I can understand people not being particularly enamoured with it.

[quote name='Wil' post='1140443' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:10 PM']I don't dislike his sound, as sonically on record, particularly when he's playing slower passages it's a very rich and sonorous tone. I don't think it's a tone that's dated particularly well however, so in the context of most contemporary music I can understand people not being particularly enamoured with it.[/quote]
much like his dress sense then.

Jaco had different tones at different stages of his career - the sound on Heavy Weather is very rich, in my view (think Havona and Remark You Made), but in his later years (the countless live albums, the albums he made with Brian whats-his-name-drummer and with Bireli Lagrene) it became more staccato and abrasive in my view and not pleasant to listen to

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1140418' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']I've recently noticed that some people are not fans of Jaco's sound. Fair enough.[/quote]
Yes, I'm one of them. Fair enough, as you say.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1140418' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']Have these people judged this on Youtube clips or have actually listened to his sound on the albums?[/quote]
I've listened to the albums. I tend to like him with Weather Report and with Joni Mitchell but not the solo stuff.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1140418' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']The back pickup sound on a Jazz bass cuts through a mix. It allows you to be heard.[/quote]
Maybe, but it's neither the only thing that cuts through nor the only way to be heard.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1140418' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']It also requires a lot of pressure on the string, and good technique.[/quote]
I bow to Jaco's technique which is way way ahead of mine but you don't have to play like he does to have good technique - and why exactly is requiring a lot of pressure on the string a good thing?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1140418' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']Try listening to Bernard Edwards, too.[/quote]
Now you're talking - Bernard I like a lot.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1140440' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:08 PM']I think wanting to be heard and playing bass are not always the best of bed fellows, there are times where I find even the great players are just a bit too in your face, it's entirely personal, I would never denigrate because I can see the value.
I don't care about being heard so much as felt... my big kick is getting folk on to the floor. Because I know they find the bass irresistible and I know that (mostly) they are not really aware of why. I dig that.[/quote]

Another lovely post, as always a considered opinion.

Have you ever considered the diplomatic service Jake?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1140418' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:58 PM']I've recently noticed that some people are not fans of Jaco's sound. Fair enough.

Have these people judged this on Youtube clips or have actually listened to his sound on the albums?

The back pickup sound on a Jazz bass cuts through a mix. It allows you to be heard.

It also requires a lot of pressure on the string, and good technique. Try listening to Bernard Edwards, too.[/quote]

I've certainly heard his records. I own a couple at least, also have a few live bits and pieces on dvd. Was never really a fan of that sound, and I did try very hard to be. Not really a fan of "the back pickup" sound generally, particularly on a Jazz; I just find it nasal. It's not my thing. I tend to feel in many of the situations I've heard him in, I can hear Jaco [i]too much[/i] which is one of the things that bothers me, but that's only my opinion. Ironically I love Bernard Edwards' sound, which personally I think is miles away from Jaco's.

To be honest I don't really see what the "requires good technique" comment means. If you don't like the sound who cares whether it requires good technique or not? That's not a musical issue at all.

EDIT: One other thing; sound is all about context. I love Chris Squire's sound in Yes, but would NOT want to hear it on a dub track......

Edited by 4000

If he isn't your cup of tea, then that is ok..

At his best, he was wonderfully talented and took the bass forward, and influenced many
The best work I have of his is as a sideman on Michel Colombiers album..

When he started to get ill, the playing suffered, IMO.

[quote name='endorka' post='1140430' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:04 PM']I think it is very much a "marmite" tone.[/quote]
I agree. I'd actually not heard him until last year ( :) ) which I find incredible. I didn't want to start a thread over it and have never publically aired my views but I don't like his tone. Sorry. I can't believe I've said that here. Great musician, I can't fault his influence on so many etc but his sound is just not to my taste. I haven't given up on the idea of exploring his playing further and may revisit him in a few years but not right now. I don't think you can force stuff. I like The Clash and I like Bob Dylan but I rarely feel like listening to both on the same day.

I love his sound on the first solo record, Black Market and that early Pat Metheny one ( which I forget the name of). It's a great expressive, focussed sound which just works. Something happens to his tone on later things like the Word of Mouth band which I quite heartily dislike though. I'm kind of ambivalent about Black Market too - I've listened to it a lot, but it just gets a bit too smooth for my tastes when compared with older Weather Report. Not just Jaco, but Shorter and Zawinul too. It's still good, just not what does it for me.

I do like Jaco but I must say I think that the 'playing back pickup on a jazz bass' has been really overdone in recent years. Some people seem to have a 'back pickup brigade' mentality' implying that anybody that does not use the back pickup or love the sound of it played solo does not have any talent or appreciation for music. I find the sound to be a bit weedy myself and find it a bit strange when the burpy sound is described as a 'growl'.

That said though, a lot of the back pickup fetish is down to the influence of Jaco himself. He was an amazing player, pushed the idea of the bass as a lead instrument forward and influenced many. I can't blame him for influencing what has come after much like I can't blame Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains for influencing a lot of the 'nu-grunge' bands I hate.