Why become a member? ×

Jaco's Sound

Pete Academy

[quote name='leschirons' post='1141962' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:34 PM']Great playing, but a little too up front in the mix for me. I think it detracts from what she's doing a tad[/quote]

plus the one, a bit...but it's sure brightened up my lunch break at work !

as an aside: the problem with sacred cows is that they're either grazing someone else's prairie or getting rustled and branded.

a hefty does of "agree to differ" is needed on basschat these days...

ymmv

[quote name='3V17C' post='1141995' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:07 AM']as an aside.. i'm liking this version of the chicken - mental bass bit in the middle!

[/quote]
Ok, the drums are nice, Weckl has great groove and technique. The bass sounds good to me for the most part, but the solo? The best part of that bass solo is the lovely little run at the end, the tone is so much nicer than what went before.

What is it with most men that they can get off so much on 16th note triplet scale runs and sh*t? Practice hard enough and properly and most of us would be able to do that, it's mechanics and a bit of theory. Why is it so impressive? Is it because it says the bassist has worked very hard over the years? And if we work hard we can achieve that too? Is it because it is easy to recognise as 'great technique'?

The stuff that is harder to recognise, like great harmony, is almost never discussed. Is it because it takes a more musical mind to understand what is going on in the music that makes you feel good and how you relate to it? Some music will make you feel ace, but it's sometimes hard to analyse why. You never get threads on here saying 'Listen to the harmony this muthafukka creates!!'. It would get three replies. It's all about the athletics in most cases. That's because you know you can't be wrong when you post a link to someone ripping on the bass, you will never look stupid because everyone can recognise that it's very hard to do. Fact is, most of it's bloody boring musically.

Jaco's amazing though because he had all the elements of a great musician. I don't like his tone and most of the music I've heard from him, but that's just my taste.

[quote name='silddx' post='1142298' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:10 PM']Jaco's amazing though because he had all the elements of a great musician. I don't like his tone and most of the music I've heard from him, but that's just my taste.[/quote]

see...[i]that's[/i] what i'm talking about

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1141997' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:11 AM']jaco as a musician. Tone or no tone.[/quote]

That always for me. Apart from JP's Bass playing skills and tones.
He was a great Musician, with great arranging and composing skills.
I get the feeling he new what he was doing with ease.

Garry

Siddx I was just thinking the same. It is deeply impressive on a technical level, but often frighteningly dull on most others (and that's not just because I can't play it). Honest! Still there's room for all sorts of music (and opinion) and the bass would be pretty limited if we all played root and fifth below the seventh fret I guess.

Ironically I can listen to Coltrane, or Sony Rollins et al for ages quite happily. The solos just seem, well better constructed, more interesting and engaging.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1142015' date='Feb 26 2011, 02:17 AM']Tom Kennedy is a frighteningly good player-check out the rest of his work with Weckl as well as his stuff with Mike Stern and Steps Ahead amongst others.
Just as another aside,I'm hopefully having a lesson with Tom Kennedy in a few weeks time-just need to sort out the details :)[/quote]
Love Tom Kennedys playing i have his solo cd ..very good .

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1141086' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:29 PM']Of course it is - I was just teasing Bilbo (you do know that don't you Bilbo?). Perhaps I should have put some smiley things in.[/quote]

Ah. I wondered what that wooshing sound was (as it went over my head) :) .

Ironically, & despite earlier comments, I love some of the players he's influenced such as Richard Bona and Tal.

Personally I've always thought Jaco's greatest strengths were actually his groove and time, which are fantastic.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='JPS' post='1142382' date='Feb 26 2011, 02:47 PM']Siddx I was just thinking the same. It is deeply impressive on a technical level, but often frighteningly dull on most others (and that's not just because I can't play it). Honest! Still there's room for all sorts of music (and opinion) and the bass would be pretty limited if we all played root and fifth below the seventh fret I guess.

Ironically I can listen to Coltrane, or Sony Rollins et al for ages quite happily. The solos just seem, well better constructed, more interesting and engaging.[/quote]

I think it all depends on (dare I say this? I think I'm going to anyway, please no one shout at me) whether you value the bass guitar as a solo instrument! I don't value bass guitar solos as much as I do soloing on sax or trumpet because I think the range, tonality and sound of both the aforementioned instruments suit a solo performance, something that I don't always think is true of bass guitar. I was listening to Sonny Rollins the other day, he's probably my favourite sax player. His solos are quite understated in parts and show notable amounts of restraint, yet he can still manage to 'say a little and mean a lot'. I would argue that when a bass player solos, it can often feel like more is required technically or musically in order for a sustained listener interest in the what's going on.