Why become a member? ×

Jaco's Sound

Pete Academy

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1141012' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:40 AM']Yes, and it happens to iconic songs as well, for example Mustang Sally, All Right Now, Sweet Home Alabahma, etc., but best not start on that old chestnut again.

Ooops - I just did.[/quote]

So it's not possible to simply dislike something, not because it's "anti", not because it's "cool" to not like it, but simply because you don't?

For me Jaco's tone is / was a direct reflection of his personality - which was not one that SAT BACK - he was a totally in your face player, he WANTED to be noticed - if that meant walking all over the rest of the band, so be it, that was Jaco - the one thing he had above and beyond any technique/tone thing was [b]personality[/b] - something sadly lacking in many players today - he was a 'marmite' kind of guy - and like all great artists he was very good at pissing people off sometimes... he was also a huge inspiration to millions of people (not just bassists) and that's an indisputable fact.

This for me is Jaco at his grooving-best - so on it and just right in the groove:

M

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1140919' date='Feb 25 2011, 10:30 AM']I think there is [b]sometimes[/b] something of the anti-hero thing going on here. 'Everyone likes X so I won't' kind of thing. Happens with all the great technicians on every instrument.[/quote]

The emphasis was conscious.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1140929' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:42 AM']If you're an artist with an original voice you are going to attract criticism.

Also no matter how talented you are there are always going to be more people in the world who don't like what you did/are doing than who like it. Add to that the fact that people are more likely to complain about stuff they don't like, than rave about stuff they do. That's how it is.

As an artist you either have/grow a thick skin and shrug it off, or pack it in. TBH I don't have time for whinging artists, these days it should be obvious what they're getting into. If they don't have the stomach for a bit of unconstructive criticism, then make way for someone who does. Anyone who's influenced by a few unkind comments on YouTube isn't much of a artist or a fan.

Plus Jaco's dead. He doesn't care anymore what we think of him.

A quick trawl through Off-Topic will show that Pete Academy has a long history of getting worked up about issues that he has little influence over. If I was one of his band members or co-workers I would be a little concerned about his mental and physical health (all that impotent rage has to go somewhere and I doubt that an internet forum is sufficient release), but since I'm not I don't really care any more than to write this single post.[/quote]

I took the poster's thread to mean " are people who criticise JP's tone making an educated crtitcism?" and then, merely put his own point of view across as to why he liked it.

For me, Jaco Pastorious is not someone who is often played on my stereo. I can't deny his influence on the world of bass playing and so, bought and listened to, what he did, in order to make a judgement if it's for me or not, and it wasn't.

However, I think it wrong to personally attack the poster and to make personal comments about his mental and physical state. If you dislike his posts, don't read them.

[quote name='4000' post='1141065' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:18 PM']So it's not possible to simply dislike something, not because it's "anti", not because it's "cool" to not like it, but simply because you don't?[/quote]

Of course it is - I was just teasing Bilbo (you do know that don't you Bilbo?). Perhaps I should have put some smiley things in.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1141081' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:26 PM']I took the poster's thread to mean " are people who criticise JP's tone making an educated crtitcism?" and then, merely put his own point of view across as to why he liked it.

For me, Jaco Pastorious is not someone who is often played on my stereo. I can't deny his influence on the world of bass playing and so, bought and listened to, what he did, in order to make a judgement if it's for me or not, and it wasn't.

However, I think it wrong to personally attack the poster and to make personal comments about his mental and physical state. If you dislike his posts, don't read them.[/quote]

Agreed.

Anyway, as soon as my scars heal, I'm off to murder some chavs. :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='1141069' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:20 PM']Respect to Pete Academy for his restraint in his response to BigRedX's post.
I'm sure on re-reading BigRedX regrets his post and will want to edit it.[/quote]

Totally.

Back to Jaco's tone(ignoring everything else)-Listening to that Michel Colombier track-which is killer-I think it is fair to say that you can hear where pretty much every fretless player took their tonal inspiration from. Obviously there are a few exceptions,but not that many.

As far as his music is concerned,to me,his big band is where it's at. Just listen to 'The Birthday Concert'-great music,great writing and arranging,and superbly played.

One thing that has surprised me about the "Jaco tone" is simply how consistent he was...despite everything that was going on in his life.

Some examples. The DCI video (made in 85/86) shows him playing a bitser (60's J body with maple Pbass fretted neck) but it sounds like him. The Birelli Lagrene tour recordings from the same time sound a bit harsher, but he was playing Jbasses with DiMarzio pickups (I assume his own basses were gone by then?). The only instance where I can hear a difference is the fretless section of the DCI video where he plays Jerry Jemmott's hollow body bass..but even then within a few seconds his personality is there. There is also a YouTube clip of him playing a JD. Sounds like him...not Jaco sounding like Mark King.

I've always taken this as evidence that your sound is yours...what instrument you play (plus strings, pickups etc etc) is only a part of your music.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1140866' date='Feb 25 2011, 09:31 AM']Jaco's not above criticism - no-one is.

I have a lot of respect for him, but I don't really listen to a lot of his stuff. I've got the Joni Mitchell records.

For an idea of how Jaco handled more straight-ahead rock, look up All American Alien Boy by Ian Hunter (it was on YouTube, but it's been pulled).[/quote]

I'm a big Ian Hunter fan and the All American Alien Boy CD has Jaco all over it, great bass playing, JP even plays lead guitar on a track, Ian Hunter has nothing but good things to say about Jaco :)

John

[quote name='BassBod' post='1141655' date='Feb 25 2011, 07:47 PM']One thing that has surprised me about the "Jaco tone" is simply how consistent he was...despite everything that was going on in his life.

Some examples. The DCI video (made in 85/86) shows him playing a bitser (60's J body with maple Pbass fretted neck) but it sounds like him. The Birelli Lagrene tour recordings from the same time sound a bit harsher, but he was playing Jbasses with DiMarzio pickups (I assume his own basses were gone by then?). The only instance where I can hear a difference is the fretless section of the DCI video where he plays Jerry Jemmott's hollow body bass..but even then within a few seconds his personality is there. There is also a YouTube clip of him playing a JD. Sounds like him...not Jaco sounding like Mark King.

I've always taken this as evidence that your sound is yours...what instrument you play (plus strings, pickups etc etc) is only a part of your music.[/quote]

Dead right. I think there's a short track on the SMV album where Marcus and Stanley swap basses and still sound like themselves.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='SteveK' post='1140710' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:39 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXz7FUi4-I"]Jaco's "burp"[/url] in all it's glory.
The guy deserves respect from each and every member of BC[/quote]
BIG Jaco fan but hadnt heard that before ...thank you for that :)
Miles got slagged off for his tone and sinatra got dogs abuse and dropped by columbia so what does that prove.
Its a big pendulum and it swings both ways.

Jaco gave bass a voice ........ pity some players have developed tourettes.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1140720' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:05 AM']I much prefer this one:

[/quote]
a little too much dont ya think? joni's music didn't really need a lot going on. great playing though nonetheless. jungle line is one of my favourite songs. 'hissing of summer lawns' and 'blue' are both great albums.

[quote name='urb' post='1141072' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:22 PM']For me Jaco's tone is / was a direct reflection of his personality - which was not one that SAT BACK - he was a totally in your face player, he WANTED to be noticed - if that meant walking all over the rest of the band, so be it, that was Jaco - the one thing he had above and beyond any technique/tone thing was [b]personality[/b] - something sadly lacking in many players today - he was a 'marmite' kind of guy - and like all great artists he was very good at pissing people off sometimes... he was also a huge inspiration to millions of people (not just bassists) and that's an indisputable fact.

This for me is Jaco at his grooving-best - so on it and just right in the groove:

M[/quote]

Great playing, but a little too up front in the mix for me. I think it detracts from what she's doing a tad

[quote name='blamelouis' post='1141749' date='Feb 25 2011, 08:55 PM']BIG Jaco fan but hadnt heard that before ...thank you for that :)[/quote]
:)

You may also enjoy [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89WkxKpevLg"]this from the same album[/url]. Doesn't feature Jaco in the same way, but IMV his contribution to the theme is the icing on a great track.

[quote name='3V17C' post='1141995' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:07 AM']as an aside.. i'm liking this version of the chicken - mental bass bit in the middle!

[/quote]

Tom Kennedy is a frighteningly good player-check out the rest of his work with Weckl as well as his stuff with Mike Stern and Steps Ahead amongst others.
Just as another aside,I'm hopefully having a lesson with Tom Kennedy in a few weeks time-just need to sort out the details :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1141758' date='Feb 25 2011, 08:59 PM']a little too much dont ya think? joni's music didn't really need a lot going on. great playing though nonetheless. jungle line is one of my favourite songs. 'hissing of summer lawns' and 'blue' are both great albums.[/quote]
I'd agree with what you're saying but the point I intended was that, nonetheless, I still preferred it to the solo stuff.