Why become a member? ×

Would You Play For Nothing?

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136098' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:58 PM']If something happened where you couldn't get paid for gigs, would you carry on playing for nothing, just for the sheer enjoyment?

When I was young I definitely would, but I'm not sure now. I know a lot of bands do play for no fee anyway.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Absolutely. Spent 30 years doing it, I'm not about to stop now. :)

On a serious note, for me it's not really about playing bass. It could be playing anything or even singing. The main thing to me is playing [i]musi[/i]c, preferably original music, even more preferably music I've written.

Edited by 4000

In answer to the original question, well the answer is playing in an originals band, isn`t it?

Think, in all honesty, because I love playing so much, I`d play places for nothing. I wouldn`t want to have to travel too far, as wouldn`t want it to end up costing me, but local gigs, playing music I enjoy, to (hopefully) large audiences that were appreciative of the band?

Yeah, why not!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1137127' date='Feb 22 2011, 02:26 PM']But surely if you don't play full time then you also don't love it enough?[/quote]

+1

Ha ha .. I love this response. I've been both FT, PT and 9 to 5 and I think that true fact is that all of us would still play if there was no money in music, but we would not have full-time musicians. Also instruments/gear is expensive, so getting paid for this helps even if you're 9 to 5.

Also, I totally disagree on the fact pub would have more music and that would be better for everyone.. the Pub landlord getting extra people through and more money in their pocket by getting a band for free is no different than trying to get a barman to work for 'the love of service drinkers'

I back the statement, you pay the waiters, the PA guy.. pay the band!!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1137554' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:39 PM']Interesting responses.

Basically, do you love playing bass (live) enough to do it for nothing?

Simple as that.[/quote]

I guess not, but since I have gotten used to being paid, I couldn't go back to not being paid..even originals.
If I had never been paid...then maybe.

I played enough football for nothing...well, I got loads of medals and the glory but funnily enough
I don't go up on stage for the 'look at me' and glory/adulation factor, never understood that or rather that was always
secondary or irrelevant.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1138665' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:05 PM']I don't go up on stage for the 'look at me' and glory/adulation factor, never understood that or rather that was always secondary or irrelevant.[/quote]

HANG ON! You strut about in a tiny little bikini and you say don't go up on stage for the glory or adulation! You've got to be having a kin laug... :) Oh hang on, the young lady in your avatar isn't you is it! :)

MB1. :)
A Previous Band Conversation...
Money? ...Look do you want to play the Manchester Academy 3 Unknown bands night.... or what?
You get the band name on the ticket and everything!...Weekend?...No! No ! Its midweek!....Youve got to sell tickets for it! :)

[quote name='4000' post='1137827' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:16 PM']Absolutely. Spent 30 years doing it, I'm not about to stop now. :)

[b]On a serious note, for me it's not really about playing bass. It could be playing anything or even singing. The main thing to me is playing [i]musi[/i]c, preferably original music, even more preferably music I've written.[/b][/quote]

+1

Me too. I'd be happy playing any instrument as part of a group, it's all about the magic of making music with other people for me. Ideally with someone watching and enjoying it, but you can't win 'em all :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1138686' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:21 PM']HANG ON! You strut about in a tiny little bikini and you say don't go up on stage for the glory or adulation! You've got to be having a kin laug... :) Oh hang on, the young lady in your avatar isn't you is it! :)[/quote]

Yeah, I don't use a personal pic as I am not really interested in promoting me or my band here.
No sig, websites, gear listed, or anything for pretty much the same reason.

I don't think anyone here is going to come to my gigs on the strenght of it... :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' post='1138863' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:20 PM']Yeah, I don't use a personal pic as I am not really interested in promoting me or my band here.
No sig, websites, gear listed, or anything for pretty much the same reason.

I don't think anyone here is going to come to my gigs on the strenght of it... :)[/quote]

MB1. :)
"NOTHING EVER SELLS ON HERE ANYWAY!"
TIM

Yes. I pay to rehearse, and rehearse in order to play live in front of people. So if I get to play live in front of people it cuts out the middle bit where I have to pay. If you see what I mean. Unpaid rehearsal, except better, if you like. Money, when it comes, just goes into a rehearsal/other band costs fund.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1136105' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:00 PM']Originals bands yes, Functions/Covers no.[/quote]
Same here. I haven't done a free gig for nearly 2 years now. But i haven't been in an original band for a while. But i like to get paid for playing covers. Especially if its playing rock music as its not as fun as other styles. As far as being in an original band i always asked to get petrol money. But thats it. People in the crowd dont like to hear songs theyve never heard which sucks but thats why it seems that originals bands never really get paid.

Yup, will always play for free depending on the gig, don't be expecting me to spend 6hours setting up, waiting, playing your wedding, then driving 2 hours home though :) ....I'll be on tour with my buddies lol

Actually, saying this.....I've decided.....getting paid isn't for the playing for me....getting paid is for the rest of the rubbish I have to put up with lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1139207' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:23 PM']Actually, saying this.....I've decided.....getting paid isn't for the playing for me....getting paid is for the rest of the rubbish I have to put up with lol[/quote]

100% agreed.

Playing is the fun part. The other stuff is what I want to be paid for! :)

We have played Charity gigs for free and got other bookings from the publicity that create's. That's fine.
However, why the f*** should we play for free in all the pubs and clubs we play, when the landlord is making loads of money from a busy venue and we'r providing the entertainment.
Sounds like we'r lucky around here, in that a 30 mile radius there are loads of fee paying venues. :)