Why become a member? ×

flatwound for everything

lojo

Hi

Im really digging flat strings right now, and whilst most of the stuff I play suits it, the odd songs dotted in the sets really rely on the bright sustain of round strings

Id like to just gig one bass, and whilst most styles can be catered for within amp settings, this round/flat issue seems to be something that is only achievable by the bass, for me at least

Does anyone else have this issue, have you got a solution ?

I just love the sound of flats on my P bass right now :)

Cheers for any thoughts

IME, D'Addario Chrome flats are bright and can be slapped (not that I slap) for a fair while before they dull down - much more so that TIs or the very thuddy Pyramids. They still have the nice slipperiness of flats though

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Beedster' post='1135606' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:20 PM']Having said that, there are plenty of flats that sound pretty bright also (although being a 100% La Bella kinda guy, I have no idea which ones, sorry)[/quote]

[quote name='Clarky' post='1135600' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:19 PM']IME, D'Addario Chrome flats are bright and can be slapped (not that I slap) for a fair while before they dull down - much more so that TIs or the very thuddy Pyramids. They still have the nice slipperiness of flats though[/quote]

There you go :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1135600' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:19 PM']IME, D'Addario Chrome flats are bright and can be slapped (not that I slap) for a fair while before they dull down - much more so that TIs or the very thuddy Pyramids. They still have the nice slipperiness of flats though[/quote]

Yeah, i like Chromes for their brightness. I love the feel of TI's but feel Chromes are a nice middle ground and can work with almost any type of music.
I've had a set of Chromes almost every bass iv'e owned over the past 6 years but I do keep going back to rounds, I miss the overtones and find them more "musical".
I find D'Addario EXL's to be a good compromise, especially once they loose some of the zing.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Beedster' post='1135606' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:20 PM']Stick with them and ask yourself whether you really need the bright sounds.[/quote]

Thanks guys for the replies

I might just play flats one time, and see if anyone else notices, after all my ears are tuned to hearing the bass, it might only be me who notices the sustain has gone in the ballads and pop :)

+1 on the Chromes sounding brighter. Roto Jazz flats can sound brighter too and TI Jazz flats still have plenty of mids and top if you wind it up - not like rounds though.

I've never used them myself but GHS Brite flats might be worth trying.

But also +1 on asking yourself if you really need that sustained jangle.

I'm using flats on everything I play & there's plenty of 'tone range' to be had with different strings.

On Precisions I've got LaBella Deep Talkin' 1954 Originals, Fender 9050M, TI Jazz Flats, GHS Black Nylons & GHS Brite Flats.

The Brite Flats are Groundwound & do exactly what it says on the packet, I think you'd like them :)

Although they're not common here, Stringbusters do them I believe, usually get mine fron USA ebay, got some GHS Precision Flats on order now.

Cheerz, John

At great expense, I think I have tried almost every flatwound out there, and I really liked Fenders.

But a couple of months ago, I put some Ernie Ball flats on, and they are fantastic to play.

Twiddling the knobs on my bass gives me all the sounds I need, from deep bass, right through to slapping, if that's what you want.

They are a joy to play, very easy on your fingers, and sound better as they get older, IMO.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1135989' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:03 PM']I use flats for everything and they absolutely suit my needs. I can't imagine going back now[/quote]
+1.

I put rounds on my P recently for old times' sake. It was fun, but the novelty wore off fairly quickly. Back to the flats...

i love the feel of flats under my left hand, but i feel they're a bit 'sticky' under the right. what i need is round over the pups and flat over the fb. just use what's most comfortable and make do. you can't have everything unless you take 15 basses to gigs like some kinda lord. the feel of your bass is way more important than the tone. tone is in the ears of the beholder.

I've actually gone back to roundwounds after 6 months of flats. I'm playing blues and soul these days so I splashed out on a set of TI jazz flats in the hope it would take off the some of the sustain & top end from my Sterling (and to curb my gas for an American std jazz...). Solo, the TIs sounded great but I just couldn't find a tone that sat right in the band mix.... I've now put my old sunbeams back on, stuffed a roll of thin foam under the bridge and I'm right where I should be - warm, thumpy loveliness. I reckon a set of Rotosound Tru bass will give me the sound I need but I don't fancy having to hack open the nut slots to get the buggers to fit.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1136265' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:03 PM']Well, you got me thinking. Having never tried flats i'd like to give 'em a go. Would you say that they are better suited to active or passive basses or doesn't it matter?[/quote]
Traditionally, i.e. back in the day, they went with passive basses of course. Although I believe the early active Music Mans also had flats.

I've used them mostly with passive basses but also with an active bass with what I thought were good results. Like anything, you have to try them. There's lots af variation between different flats. They don't all sound the same.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1136275' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:07 PM']I've actually gone back to roundwounds after 6 months of flats. I'm playing blues and soul these days so I splashed out on a set of TI jazz flats in the hope it would take off the some of the sustain & top end from my Sterling (and to curb my gas for an American std jazz...). Solo, the TIs sounded great but I just couldn't find a tone that sat right in the band mix.... I've now put my old sunbeams back on, stuffed a roll of thin foam under the bridge and I'm right where I should be - warm, thumpy loveliness. I reckon a set of Rotosound Tru bass will give me the sound I need but I don't fancy having to hack open the nut slots to get the buggers to fit.[/quote]
I'm surprised at your TI flats story. I've always found them to sit well in the mix.