Why become a member? ×

What came first: the band, or the bass?

janmaat

A little bit of both.

I don't play in a band any longer (as I'm one of those in the thread you mention) but when myself and some mates at school started the band we just talked about it, bought the instruments and bob's yer uncle, we had a band. So technically the idea to form a band was first and instrument second but in reality the band never really existed until we all had instruments :)

Very similar to 'purpleblob' - mates at school wanted to start a band, talked about it as two already had guitars so I bought a bass. Hence the band was born. It died pretty damned quick mind :)

I stopped playing for 15 years so the bass came first this time.

Interesting - I'm not actually sure! I played bass for 3 years before I got in a proper band, playing its own songs & gigging, so I put bass first. But the reason I got a bass in the first place was because me & a bunch of underage schoolmates had a life-changing night, where we experienced live music & pints for the first time at the same time. As we staggered back home, we decided to start a band and decided who would play what.

We never did actually try & play together, but two of us went on to play in gigging bands. :)

Jon.

I actually lied that I played the bass to get in to a band! I had no musical ability whatsoever! :) In fact, the only bassline that I knew was the intro to Pretty Green by The Jam, and even then had no clue as to what key it was in!! :) Still, it turned out the other guys were clueless 16 year olds too!! :lol:

I started on a few other instruments before getting a bass. When I was about 12 or 13 me & my best friend talked about starting a band & I was already playing keys & not long gotten a guitar that I only played basslines on so I decided to take up bass & he took up guitar. We've never played in a band together yet! :)

2 guitar playing pals got together to strum some chords , another pal's dad had an ancient "drum kit" - snare & bass drum with hi-hat. " If you buy a bass Donny, we can form a band & get rockin'!! " £5 saved from my paper round & one short scale no-name bannana necked untunable bass later, :) we were ready to rock!!! Well, we already had long hair & flaired jeans.
I seem to remember that in the absence of any amps we went through an old radoigram speaker :) . Once we managed to get some old beat up & cheap amplification( probably now much sought after), loud was important.
Our attempts at some classic rock numbers were ,looking back probably laughable, but we were right into it

It was the same old 'let's start a band!' chat with some mates at school that got me started.

One bloke wanted to play guitar, another wanted to play the drums, so I picked the bass.

I convinced my dad it was a brilliant idea for him to buy me a cheapo bass to learn on (Hondo Rickenfaker) - funnily enough the other 2 blokes are still yet to get their instruments sorted and get together for a jam (after 30 years.....)

[quote name='matski' post='1127252' date='Feb 14 2011, 04:30 PM']It was the same old 'let's start a band!' chat with some mates at school that got me started.

One bloke wanted to play guitar, another wanted to play the drums, so I picked the bass.

I convinced my dad it was a brilliant idea for him to buy me a cheapo bass to learn on (Hondo Rickenfaker) - funnily enough the other 2 blokes are still yet to get their instruments sorted and get together for a jam (after 30 years.....)[/quote]

Love it... my mates never got out of the bedroom as far as I know.
I recall a LOT of talk about doing this and that though...

:)

A friend bought a guitar, so I bought a bass.

I walked into the shop, pointed at a shiny black one and said "I'll take that one". It was an Aria Pro Magna II.

I got a few lessons and then joined a band about 5 rehearsals before their first gig.

It's all been downhill from there!

I used to watch a few friends play at an acoustic jam session in a local pub. I fancied joining in, but didn't play anything. Thought bass looked easier to play than guitar, so bought one and taught myself. Now play with them in their 'proper' band too, as their bass player left.

I was initially a guitard, then when a bunch of us formed a band at university we had two and a half guitarists (multitalented singer who could also play guitar and keyboard) so I took on the bass role, and after a brief period of doing it by playing on the bottom strings of the guitar, bought the bits of a Hayman 40/40 and put it together.