Why become a member? ×

Do you need the 5th string?

Phil-osopher10

When I play I use a lot of octaves so I thought that a five string would be a useful addition - TBH is wasn't - I found that the strings were too close together and rather than getting an extra whole strings worth of notes I only really got an extra 5..so it went!

I think the style of music you play will depend on how much use the extra string will get.. a friend of mine is also a believer that the "G" only gets in the way..I voted "No"..

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='1125154' date='Feb 12 2011, 05:05 PM']The position argument is bollocks. Anything you can play in one position on a 5 string you can play on a 4 string if you practise correctly.[/quote]

:)
Is it also bollocks to look for a bass specifically with a wide shallow neck, or a thin and narrow one, or a deep and fat one?
You *can* play anything on either of them but... we find some easier, or better, than others.

same with that position argument.

and with alternate tunings. You could find a way to play anything without changng tuning but... if using a different tuning helps, why not?

Recently just got my first five, which I felt I needed as the stuff I am doing now involves a low B or low A. I could have altered a 4 string to acheive this, but then I couldn't really use it for standard tuning as well.

I am still happy on a four string bass though, I only 'need' a five when it involves music in a lower register than drop d. I would just say to play what works for you personally.

I keep wondering about stringing one of my basses up B E A D. Just like the power off the E and A strings, so it might be interesting to see if my kit will deliver same on B. Some gigs that use walking bass lines / root + 5th etc would lend themselves to this tuning. Any one done this, any thoughts?

[quote name='3below' post='1125336' date='Feb 12 2011, 07:41 PM']I keep wondering about stringing one of my basses up B E A D. Just like the power off the E and A strings, so it might be interesting to see if my kit will deliver same on B. Some gigs that use walking bass lines / root + 5th etc would lend themselves to this tuning. Any one done this, any thoughts?[/quote]
I had a Precision tuned BEAD for a while. It was fine but I rarely used it. I found I was using an EADG almost always and only using the BEAD when I could conjure up a reason to do so. So eventually I put it back to EADG.

Have to say, I've NEVER done a gig where I've NEEDED a 5string....it may well be a preference for whatever reason (odd keys, a low note or two), but its never been a deal breaker as to whether I did the gig or not.
I have a great 5 string, I don't feel the need to take it to particular gigs, I just use it when i feel I want too. I don't agree that its the standard in "most music"....guys like Pino, Marcus Miller, Wooten, Jaco, Duck Dunn, Hub Hubbard etc etc are all sidemen who do big big tours etc, probably have 5's, but 4's are their go-to instruments.

Si

Doesn't it just depend on what you need to do?

Are we going to argue whether a pick or fingers is the best way to play next?

I've stuck with one 4 string for over a decade. Playing in an originals band in standard tuning that was what I required. I now do mostly pit work, and I'm thinking a 5 would be a great idea, as I'm getting sick of peculiar leaps in runs from reading the piano part. Right tool for the right job.

Edited by scalpy

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1124919' date='Feb 12 2011, 01:14 PM']Never understood why players can't just own and play 4s and 5s. Totally different instruments...and it's great fun to be able to play both. I swap between all the time.[/quote]
Sorry but why is it a totally different instrument??

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1125359' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:05 PM']I've said this before, but I was in a band that insisted I tuned down to play Black Velvet because I didn't have a 5-string.

I didn't, but I didn't tell them. I just played it at the octave....

They never noticed.[/quote]
Excellent. Stealth tuning.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1125437' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:52 PM']Try playing in a soul band where loads of tunes are in Eb without a low b. Even jamerson used a fiver sometimes. The argument is drop tuning where you could go downnhalf a step but still a bit inconvenient. Love my 5s[/quote]

Yeah,but Jamerson had an old Fender Bass V which had a high C and something like 15 frets

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1125437' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:52 PM']Try playing in a soul band where loads of tunes are in Eb without a low b. Even jamerson used a fiver sometimes. The argument is drop tuning where you could go downnhalf a step but still a bit inconvenient. Love my 5s[/quote]
I (and many others more competent than me) have played in soul bands, even played in Eb, with an EADG four-string. It's what happened in almost all soul bands for thirty odd years. Jamerson did have a Fender Bass V but it would have been tuned EADGC and one story has it that he hated it so much that he threw it across the studio saying 'Never let me play that again'. I have no idea if this story is true. The massive majority of Motown, Stax, Atlantic etc output would have been done on an EADG bass.

Of course five-strings are used a lot more today and if people want to use them or the musical director requires them to be used then fair enough.

Edited by EssentialTension

I voted "Yes":

In my own projects I mostly play 4 string basses. However as a sideman being able to play a fiver can make or break some gigs - as rare as it really happens I don't see why should I risk being turned down because of 3 stupid extra notes per song. So yes, I need it and I own two now - one fretted and one fretless.