Why become a member? ×

Neighbours and bass

garethfriend

Firstly, no idea what section to put this in so sorry if this should be somewhere else.

The band has a new drummer and we are all enthusiastically back in the habit of practicing regularly again. Brilliant. We do 10am till 1pm on a sunday as it works best for all of us (kids, work etc the rest of the day for various members), although we always used to, until the old drummer left, do sunday afternoons (he couldn't do mornings) and this was fine for 4 years.

In addition to new drums I have a new rig which is alot louder than the last (can be heard easily now rather than being a vauge low pitched noise in background) and I wouldn't say I have quite settled on settings yet. As we were recording this week we were having a bit of a soundcheck at the start of practice when a guy walks in who we don't recognise. Turns out he lives over the road and the sound is carrying over into his living room while he is trying to watch football. we never gave any thought to this for two reasons; his house isn't exactly close (or we didn't think it was) and no complaints in 4 years therefore no problem (of course there is a big difference between loud rock music on a sunday afternoon and at 10am which is probably why he was upset).

Anyway, fortunately he was ok about it just asked that we look into soundproofing the front wall or something as he appreciates we have to practice, even offered to help out financially (although I don't really feel comfortable with this). From what he was saying it seems to be the low frequencies that are the problem i.e. me, if I remember my vibroacoustics stuff from uni they are also going to be the hardest do do anything about other than turn down or eq it all out.

So on a very limited budget what should we do? as far as I see it messing about with egg cartons and carpet is going to be a waste of time, and anything permanent or expensive is out too. A bit of EQing on my part might go a long way but with the orange terror I don't think EQ is it's strong point and besides it's the lows that seem to make my tone work. Moving back to sunday afternoons might be an option but it is going to mean lots of cancelled practices as our drummer is a sparky who often gets asked to work up north on a sunday afternoon. What would you all suggest?

You might have to accept that you won't sound your best at practice and take out a lot of lows. That'll be by far the easiest, cheapest and most efficient way of doing it.

You could try getting some matresses and putting them around the walls of your practice room, that will dampen the sound a bit. Even just drapes hung a bit away from the wall will help a little (though not a lot, admittedly).

It sounds like you have a very accomodating neighbour, so you should try some stuff out and get feedback from him. :)

Matresses seem a popular choice :)

Not sure how you guys setup, but if your bass rig is facing the offending wall then it might be worth shifting stuff around so that it's facing a wall that doesn't matter.

Don't know what rig you have but it might help if you could raise the height of your cab - you'll need less volume to hear yourself if the cab is at ear height.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1122160' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:03 AM']Play whilst your neighbours are having a BBQ then they ask if you can let them know in advance so they can organise their mates around to coincide with practice. Atleast thats what happened the first time we had a practice at my dads. :lol: :D

Legally though there is not they can do is there or has that changed?? We used to alternate living rooms and only had the rozzers out once and that was only to ask for my MOT because they couldn't believe the car was legal :) :) It was them that told us until 11:30pm there was nothing anyone could do.[/quote]

It's 11:00pm here.
In my 'ideal world' though, it's far easier to get along with the neighbours than put them in a position where they're getting on the phone to the council all the time.
I soundproofed a room at the last place I lived at and got the neighbours on either side involved in a game of "can you hear it yet?" that generated a lot of good will and laughter. :P

It's not a residential building, it's a warehouse, there's no other houses anywhere near.

My amp is near the offending wall but pointing away from it, it did used to be the other side of the room facing that way though with no bother. Cab is the barefaced vintage pictured left. Usually use one of the tuning plugs in the port to roll a bit of low end off anyway, might try adding the second.

Like the mattress idea, theres always some floating around for next to nothing locally, will check that out.

I've been down the same position in the past and found that local practice studios were the best option. If you want your "near "gigging tone and volume and want to get on without hassle from the neighbours, it's great. I have found that on Sunday mornings, the studios were cheaper that the afternoon, so win/win with the locals and your drummer.

Remember, your neighbours could become paying punters at your gigs if you get it right so they end up paying for your studio time. :)

Fortunately I get to play 600+ full-Watts where I live, but I can be heard downtown, about 8 miles away.

This is the next town, 22 miles away - Palm Springs::

It doesn't matter if you pack the walls, floors and ceiling with mattresses - bass leaks out and you will have a very hard time to stop or contain it.

It also isn't very directional, so actually it doesn't matter much where you point your drivers anyway.

I typically play 40-acre BBQs and dances, so I need the power and when we're playing the whole city parties with us.

If the town was to buy a traffic light - there'd be no place to put it here either, as we are very rural.

I tried playing in a deep valley near here and it just seemed to make it more powerful and channeled the sound in a more direct beam I think.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Johnston' post='1122160' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:03 AM']Legally though there is not they can do is there or has that changed?? We used to alternate living rooms and only had the rozzers out once ... It was them that told us until 11:30pm there was nothing anyone could do.[/quote]

Legally you may be correct, but from a moral point of view would it not be more understanding to respect people's wish for some peace and quiet in their homes?

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='1122383' date='Feb 10 2011, 10:05 AM']....Legally you may be correct, but from a moral point of view would it not be more understanding to respect people's wish for some peace and quiet in their homes?....[/quote]
+1

I'd suggest: put the cab on beer crates, cover the windows and doors, turn down or, best of all, use a rehearsal studio.

[quote name='endorka' post='1122383' date='Feb 10 2011, 10:05 AM']Legally you may be correct, but from a moral point of view would it not be more understanding to respect people's wish for some peace and quiet in their homes?

Jennifer[/quote]

I think it needs a bit of 'Give' AND 'Take' from both the noise generator and the neighbours.

It's all very well to say respect their wishes for some peace and quiet, but they should also respect your right and desire to make some noise on occassions. It should not be all one way!

We have two sons who are both drummers, one is studying it at college and hoping to make a career out of it, so there is frequent noise.
However the current neighbours know that it is not continuous, is never after 9pm, and that if it is causing a problem at a particular time the only need to come and talk about it and we can move it to a better time.

At one time we did have a neighbour who wanted absolute silence all the time and was not willing to discuss options, and consequently
we ended up ignoring him, which is a shame as I'm sure we could have come up with an arangement (He's since moved).

From the OP it sounds like they are talking 3 hours a week, which does not seem unreasonable to me. I don't think, for example, that the council would be interested for 3 hours a week during 'normal' hours, but best to talk with bloke anyway, as you are, and see if there's a better time for him etc.

Edited by Count Bassy

Play better so he likes what you play. :)

We ban drums from these home rehearsals as the purpose they serve is to get chords, keys, arrangements sorted, then we go and book a rehearsal room.

I think the neighbour sounds reasonable, so I would respect his viewpoint and revise what you do.

Band volumes in a house is unresonable and you are lucky if you can get away with it..
In your case, it doesn't seem that you can.

Book a room

Well, I have practised at industrial type places for the last 5 years. We try to come to agreements with everyone in earshot, stipulating what times we can play, and how they can get in touch if it's too loud. To be fair, if I ever [i]had[/i] to practise on a Sunday morning, i'd have to try and soundproof a bit.

Just To add, already using a gramma pad.

Think we might go have a word one night and see if we can work something out with schedules first off. We want to put up some sort of sound deadening material to control the reflections a bit for our working recordings anyway so would still be a useful thing to have ideas for.

And no, we are not practicing in house, that would be obviously inconsiderate to most people, at least where we are it was a surprise anyone could hear us.

He did say he likes the music, it's the sound checking first thing that he's not fussed on.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1122474' date='Feb 10 2011, 11:55 AM']Get your drummer to use hot-rods for rehearsals, damp the kick more and turn down everything: Nothing short of two feet thick concrete surrounding the rehearsal space will contain the lows![/quote]

+1, and very big deep one at that.

Low end energy is baaaad news, and you have a rig that can deliver it, and a drum kit that means you need to.

Alex is not overstating the 2' of concrete. Mass is all that will stop low end, mattresses are going to do absolutely nothing to attenuate those frequencies at all - total waste of effort. On the other hand they might slightly improve the sound in the room if there is a lot of bare walls surface area to reflect top end in a nasty way....