Why become a member? ×

Neighbours and bass

garethfriend

[quote name='Max Normal' post='1122250' date='Feb 10 2011, 03:53 AM']Get a practice drumkit and use a practice amp, or get down the rehearsal studio![/quote]
I lean towards agreeing here, although I use a Terror head and it is capable of sounding perfectly serviceable at quieter volumes. Everyone always goes on about how loud these are but mine has always been capable of playing quite softly too. Without fully knowing your situation or band I suspect volume wise everyone is playing to the drummer at present.

Harking back to my younger days (& I feel about 82 typing that!) we used to have an "everything louder than everything else" approach to soundchecks and actually this doesn't always get the best out of a band.

[quote name='endorka' post='1122383' date='Feb 10 2011, 10:05 AM']Legally you may be correct, but from a moral point of view would it not be more understanding to respect people's wish for some peace and quiet in their homes?[/quote]
Again I'm in agreement here. I agree with the subsequent point that it is give & take but I've seen many a time where a calm neighbour can change into a very irrate one. In extreme cases Enviromental Health and the Police have been called which is a shame as it is nearly always very avoidable. That said he sounds reasonable at present and the fact that you are posting on it sounds like you are trying to address the situation. Good luck with it :)

Actually if I think about it the new drummer is louder than the old one but it just seems to be the cymbals rather than the rest of the kit, that caused the guitarists to turn up meaning I had to follow. Good way of quieting down cymbals?

Should be able to all turn down and not have ringing ears at the end of practice if we can sort that, hopefully this and moving practice to a bit later will sort the neighbour issue. If we put up sound absorbing materials do you think it will make a difference to how we perceive the cymbals and in turn allow us to turn down? Worth doing it for recording purposes anyway I suspect but if it indirectly solves our problem that's an added bonus.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1122269' date='Feb 10 2011, 06:39 AM']Fortunately I get to play 600+ full-Watts where I live, but I can be heard downtown, about 8 miles away.

I typically play 40-acre BBQs and dances, so I need the power and when we're playing the whole city parties with us.[/quote]

Sorry, slightly OT, but after hearing this I've got a Tim Taylor / Home Improvement moment coming on .... moooooooore poooooowerrrrrrrrr! :-)

[quote name='garethfriend' post='1122923' date='Feb 10 2011, 05:36 PM']Good way of quieting down cymbals?[/quote]

Not hitting them as hard. :)

A lot of drummers don't understand how to balance a kit correctly through how hard they hit each part of it - a great drummer can be recorded with with just a handful of mics and still perfectly sit each part of the kit in the mix - numerous Led Zep recordings being fine examples of this. If he smacks the cymbals too hard then the guitar will go louder, so will the vocals and so will the bass - and then you end up with a band where you can't hear the kick at all and the snare is muffled. Power is nothing without control! (That would be a good line for an ad...)

[quote name='misrule' post='1122991' date='Feb 10 2011, 06:30 PM']Could you all chip in and offer to buy the guy Sunday lunch at his local each week?

That would get him out of the house and solve the problem. And it's cheaper than a rehearsal studio.

A bit of lateral thinking :)

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Genius!!!!!

yes. the drummer should get some brushes for these scenarios, and keep at a low volume. this can aid the learning process too as you can hear more of the little details. bass will go in all directions i'm afraid. soundproofing is not a necessarily expensive affair. in fact it's mostly air. studwall with rubber strips under each bit of plasterboard and air inbetween.