Why become a member? ×

Tenuous Claim To Fame

Thunderthumbs

[quote name='TimR' date='Jul 31 2010, 12:06 PM' post='911117']
Jim Rodford of the Kinks stood in and played a couple of numbers with my band once. I think I will be sharing the stage with him at the end of August. He's in the headline band, we're third from top.

- John Verity's band?

He and Jeff Dakin helped me out with two or thre songs a couple of weeks ago at my local, the Anchor - and incredibly nice chaps they are too.
Other than that I was in the crowd when Shakin' Stevens and The Sunsets played the Heavy Steam Machine in Hanley, Stoke, so many moons ago..... Fantastic gig :)

[quote name='gicut58' post='912699' date='Aug 2 2010, 12:42 PM'][quote name='TimR' post='911117' date='Jul 31 2010, 12:06 PM']
Jim Rodford of the Kinks stood in and played a couple of numbers with my band once. I think I will be sharing the stage with him at the end of August. He's in the headline band, we're third from top.[/quote]

- John Verity's band?

He and Jeff Dakin helped me out with two or thre songs a couple of weeks ago at my local, the Anchor - and incredibly nice chaps they are too.
Other than that I was in the crowd when Shakin' Stevens and The Sunsets played the Heavy Steam Machine in Hanley, Stoke, so many moons ago..... Fantastic gig :)
[/quote]

It might help if I got the right one - John Dalton. Its a standing joke that everyone around here has played Bass with the Kinks. John Dalton has retired now so I've no idea who "The Bass Player" for the kinks will be. I'll find out at practice tomorrow. I can't wait the excitement is killing me.

If that's not tenuous I don't know what is.

Can't believe I haven't posted on here yet! Right here goes...

My dad went to school with Olympic high dive medallist and trampoline star Brian Phelps, which was cool until he got done for 42 charges of indecent assault and indecency a couple of years back :)

My mum used to go out with Joe Brown back in the 50's or 60's. When I met Sam Brown for the first time, I told her 'if things had worked out different, I'd be your brother', and I still call her 'sis' whenever I see her, which is about once a year.

I once jammed with Bonnie Raitt at a trade show. Didn't know who it was, as the stand she was in backed on to the one I was in. We traded licks for 5 minutes or so, and then she came over and said hi. She was really sweet, and a lot smaller than you'd think.

A

[quote name='Spike Vincent' date='Jul 30 2010, 07:48 PM']Kim Wilde nearly ran me over once.
[quote name='TimR' post='911117' date='Jul 31 2010, 12:06 PM']
She lives close to me. Both my Dad and the guitarist in his band used to often play with her dad Marti Wilde.[/quote]
[/quote]
She used to live in Codicote. Her dad lives near me in Tewin and his numberplate is TEW1N. Poser! :)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='910587' date='Jul 30 2010, 07:48 PM']Kim Wilde nearly ran me over once.[/quote]

I nearly ran all of the Nolan sisters over once, they didn't look when crossing the road, not my fault, honest. 31 years ago. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='919018' date='Aug 8 2010, 08:25 PM']My children were playing with Micheal Caines' children (that's the chef - Caines, not the actor Caine) at a fun park this afternoon. I did not speak or attempt to embarrass myself in front of Mr Caines.[/quote]

Top bloke, top chef, but what possessed him to go for the rubber hand? I'd have gone for interchangeable kitchen utensils instead.

• 2 months later...

Speedo (ex Rocket From The Crypt) told my old band we were one of the most entertaining support bands he'd witnessed in a long time after we'd supported Hot Snakes.
A few weeks later Lars Frederiksen totally failed to even acknowledge our existence when we opened for Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='918029' date='Aug 7 2010, 03:16 PM']My parents finally decided to tell me that apparently Sarah Beeny lives in the village next door to us. I still don't know if they're joking or not though.[/quote]
I once auditioned to be co-presenter on Streets Ahead with her. Thames Talkback nicked my ideas and never hired me. Can I have a violin please?

• 13 years later...