Why become a member? ×

Tenuous Claim To Fame

Thunderthumbs

Following on from the "Claim To Fame" thread, where the question was all about the most famous person you've played with....well I'm thinking more in the vein of standing next to someone famous in a shop sort of thing.

To start the ball rolling.....I was watching Big Country on YouTube and it reminded me......

I used to own an Aria SB900 whose previous owner was Tony Butler.

I stood in front of Rob Halford in a queue in the Walsall branch of M&S food court.

I followed Roy Wood into the urinals in a pub...again in Walsall.

I elbowed Blaize Bailey out of the way at the bar at the Wulfrun Hall.

I worked with a man who many years ago advised a work colleague that quiting a steady estimator job to seek fame and fortune was a bad move. It was Robert Plant.

I was invited to Pato Bantons number one party. So was Mr. Fudge.

Myself and Mr. Fudge were introduced to Denis from Musical Youth.

[quote name='paul h' post='128513' date='Jan 27 2008, 01:27 AM']I followed Roy Wood into the urinals in a pub...again in Walsall.

I was invited to Pato Bantons number one party. So was Mr. Fudge.[/quote]

I suppose I should've put this one on the other thread, but, I once played bass for Roy Wood when he was a guest on a TV programme I was doing.

And Pato Banton.....my God....I've got him on video somewhere on The Old Grey Whistle Test doing "Mash Up The Telly" live! He was on the same bill as The Icicle Works. What a collaboration (although they didn't actually sing together).

The first gig I ever did (at a house in Englefield Green, Egham, Surrey...ooh, maybe 1978) was attended by Gerry Cott (Boomtown Rats) and locals boys Steve Lillywhite (well, we all know who he is) and his brother Adrian (who drummed with The Members and King). Steve Lillywhite said we 'were great and if we wanted some help in the studio [we] knew where to find him.'

P

I was in the Virgin Mega store in Leeds back in the 80's, when Wayne Hussey was walking around with a camera crew.
Now I'm a short-arse, but he's even smaller!

Earlier in the 80's I met Little & Large at the end of one of the piers in Blackpool.

I met Charlie Harper at the 1st Pistols reunion gig, then bumped into him again after a Subs gig in Oslo. He always seems to have a 16 year old punk girlfriend.

I said hello to Gaby Roslin after after a theatre show in London - she said hello back! - she was simply stunning.

Zoe Bonham (John Bonham's daughter) nearly joined my band...

About ten years ago the singer from the band I was in at the time quit a few days before we were about to send off the master tape and artwork for our first self-released single. Because we thought we were worth it we took out display ads in both NME and MM in the musicians wanted section and received a flood of responses, one of which was from Zoe Bonham. Having chatted for some time on the phone and getting the feeling we were both on the same wavelength musically we exchanged demos. Hers' was really good and streets ahead of what we were doing at the time and unsurprisingly she wasn't sufficiently impressed with our offering...

(I still have the tape somewhere)

• Like 1

Playing a charity gig last year we were asked to play Happy Birthday for Michael Buerk (of BBC News and 999 fame)

Newton Faulkner supported my function band a few times back in 2003/2004. "Yeah, but he's not Eric Roche" was all our drummer kept reminding us. Our drummer hates him (Faulkner), for various (allegedly) good reasons which i can't go into on here for legal reasons.

EDIT: should that second one be in the other thread? Sorry!

Edited by Merton

Did some demos for Innervision & Wham's horn section were drafted in to play on it, but that's a couple of times removed

My guitarist was in Andertons years ago buying his Strat. Andy Latimer was in there waiting for his accountant to arrive with a cheque and spent some time extolling the virtues of Yamaha guitars to him

Played the Six Bells Chiddingly years back & Keith Emerson was in (its his local so probably anyone down this neck of the woods who plays there can say that)

Had a p*ss once in Nomis Studios toilets next to Francis Rossi of Status Quo.. he looked the same then as he does now and that was 20 years ago..

Other tenuous ones include playing at a party for Blondie in 1980, supported Joy Division at the Rainbow, London also that year - Ian Curtis had an epileptic fit on stage!

I was on the Glam band wagon in the 80's ( it was acceptable in the 80's )
in a band called Napalm Hearts our manager was a guy called Tony Smith
(he was also Wrathchilds mgr at the time)

. . . . He went on to be Metallica's Tour manager for about 10 years !

Edited by Adee

[quote name='Wil' post='129103' date='Jan 28 2008, 09:27 AM']Hugh Quarshie (Dr Ric Griffin from Holby City) bought a bike from me when I worked at Halfords Cribbs Causeway... is that tenuous enough?[/quote]

Never mind Holby City - he's been in a Star Wars, even if it was just The Phantom Menace!