Why become a member? ×

Custom build dilema...

MuckedUpFunkies

Here's the deal guys i've just received a large sum of money from a deceased relative and i've realised as im going to uni in a few years im not going to have cash for... well ever! And I really want to get a bass that will blow me away every day I play it for ever so heres some questions for all you experienced ones out their :)

Is it worth the wait?

What if its not quite right?

Can you have a neck through headless?

What do the millions of types of wood i could use do?

Is it better to go into a shop and find something you already know is amazing?

Thanks
Dan :)

Firstly, I would say take your time and enjoy the process. Don't rush in and also be aware that your tastes might change as you mature, so it might be quite a challenge to get it right.

Having said that I've never gone down the custom route, so maybe shouldn't be replying to you. There plenty of users who have and I'm sure they will be along soon.

Gary.

I'm just weighing up the pros and cons of a custom bass at the moment.
There is a chance that if you get a bass that's different to what you're used to playing you may not like it. I think I'm right in saying [b]Dood[/b]'s 6 string headless Shuker is a thru-neck. As to the woods, I have no idea really. I think harder woods produce brighter sounding basses, of course this could be way off.

Personally I'm looking at getting a simple 4 string black P/J with a chrome scratchplate and a maple fretboard, with a neck profile the same as my Steve Harris Fender. The price Jon Shuker has given me is only a tiny amount more than a Fender Deluxe, so for me it's a bit of a no brainer.

There is a juicy thread in Bass Guitars about custom builds and why they end up for sale. I think it is called "A Bass For Life". It contains some great tips about what not to do; these are mostly about making it as complicated as possible, using all the options available etc. Sobering stuff...

While I have never gone down the custom build road myself, I have done the next closest thing, which was Warmoth. My first Warmoth build was a SuperStrat metal guitar - white, ebony neck, Floyd Rose trem, EMGs etc. Warmoth stuff does not keep its value well, but that didn't matter as I would keep this forever and ever. Beautiful guitar. We didn't bond. I sold the guitar at an eye-watering loss recently. Hindsight says: bad idea. It was not [i]exactly[/i] what I wanted. I should not have gone with a Floyd. I don't really play guitar all that much. Mistake.

Saying that, I have now started a Warmoth bass build. I have been planning it for months and, this time, I have kept the whole thing rather simple. It is basically a Jazz with a few extra twists. I think that I am far more likely to keep this one forever and ever.

I say go for the custom build - life is short, you may as well do it while you can. But make sure you know what you want. Don't have anything added for the sake of it. Keep it simple!

I've had a few custom builds - but my advice would have to be take your time, really think about the type of instrument that suits what you do (or plan to do in the future) then look around for used versions. If you don't find something interesting in six months, then think about it again.

anything you can imagine is an option if you go custom, (beerholder anyone?) but yes, you should make sure you know exactly what you want before forking out 3 grand on a bass that won't change the most important factor, CAN YOU PLAY? tonewoods, neck thru adds sustain and all that hocus pocus means nothing. it's all in your playing. having said that, custom instruments are the only way to go if you want something special that will turn heads. factory made basses have absolutely no soul, and someone like acg build some absolutely stunning instruments. as for wood choice, just go for colours/grain pattern that appeal to you and forget about tone coz none of that matters until you start playing.

The first thing I would say is that you are in a luxurious position to have the means to purchase whatever you want and this may be the only time in your life where this happens. Also the decision you make should be well thought through - remember " a fool and his money are easily parted.."

However if you are intent on going ahead and buying a new bass, The Bass Convention scheduled for 12/13 March in London could give you the opportunity to see whether you really want a Custom bass or whether there are manufacturers out there already producing a bass which you would be happy with. A Custom bass built specifically for you will not be everybody's cappucino so the return on this bass (if you ever decide to sell) may not be anything like your outlay - [b]it may turn out not be an investment [/b]- so, as others have said, take your time in choosing what you want.

By choosing a high end, quality bass there is a good chance that your return (again if you ever decide to sell) could be good (or at least less wallet denting!!). However there are no guarentees when buying/selling anything (this includes classic Fenders) so the important thing is that [b]you get to enjoy what you purchase and thus justify the expence[/b]. The "for sale" section of this site has had some excellent custom basses advertised recently which should tell you something - though you think you know what you want, what you really want could just be, say, a really nice Fender..

As you know there are many excellent basses available so just because you spend more money doesn't necessarily mean you will get a "better" bass - by taking your time and trying many you are more likely to find one that suits you (sir..) better..And anyway half the fun is the trying the stuff out..

Also you might find that by shopping around you could actually get 2 bargains instead of the outlay for 1 expensive bass...

Decisions, decisions...

Best of luck..(by the way, you couldn't lend me a tenner??) :) :)

I'm sure I've told my cautionary tale before but I bought an Overwater a while back. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a thing of beauty, the quality was outstanding and (in the shop) it sounded incredible. In my band it sounded awful and no amount of adjustment or different strings made it sound good. The thing is, I play in a pub covers band. If I'd thought for ten seconds, who plays a fancy custom bass in a pub covers band? It didn't make any sense at all and it just didn't sound (or look probably) the part. That's what Leo Fender made basses for, so it was back to the Musicman which sounded (as usual) great and appropriate.

Moral - have a very clear understanding of what role the instrument is intended to play. Sometimes a battered old Precision is actually exactly the right thing, no matter how little or how much it costs!

I've done custom orders/builds twice now and my advice is this:
Try out an example of the luthiers' work first. Even if it means organizing a meet up with someone who has an example of their work - a Bassbash for example would be perfect for this,

Make sure you know EXACTLY what you want, down to the last screw. If there's any doubt or you have no idea about some part of it you are possibly leaving yourself open to an expensive disappointment,

Is there a current manufacturer of something similar to what you want? Why not see if they'll do you a custom version to your taste,

What about a Warmoth/USA Custom Guitars home build?,

If you want to protect your investment then why not find a vintage bass rather than a custom build and see how you get on?.

As said before take your time and look at it as a long term research & development project and enjoy it!
Regards,
Jon

I think they can be everything that you want them to be...but, by the same token..you need to know what you want.

I think you need to research all options for maybe 6 months or more.
I had been round a few blocks, IMO, by the time I got my first and thought I knew what I wanted. Well, I did, for about 15 years, but then things changed.

I got back the money I paid for it over those years and it earned a lot more, so was happy with the cash I paid, but you need to know that the maker you pick has very good resale.

Unfortunately, some decent luthiers don't make basses that carry their price or worth very well at all and you could start in the classifieds here to see that, IMO. This would be my 'insurance' against a rushed purchase..for starters.

Personally, in your position, I'd buy a decent workhorse for ALL gigs.
Jst sayin'

Is there a particular type of bass that you`ve always wanted?

If so, why, then think, if I had a custom built bass would I want that all of that basses qualities? If so, get the one make/model that you`ve always wanted, just look long and hard for the exact right one of that range.

If however the above can`t be done, then looks like custom-build may be the way forward.

Sorry to be the voice of dissent, and far be it from me to talk people out of GAS (I'm normally all about living vicariously through other BCers purchases) but you might be better off keeping the money to see you through uni and avoid such a large student loan/debt. Just a thought.

I don't think it's fair to say that factory instruments have 'no soul'.Marcus or Jaco's Jazz Bass anyone? Or Jamerson or Ducks Precision?

You're lucky to have some money to spend,but what do you want a custom bass for? You're only young,so is it for flash reasons? What bass do you play now? What are your plans for the future and is it worth spending a fortune on a bass?

I'd be looking around shops and looking for an instrument that felt nice to me and doesn't cost the earth-new and secondhand. Or,if you've already got a decent bass,I'd get a decent amp to go with it.

Remember,a fancy custom bass is very nice,but ultimately it comes down to how you play it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1108340' date='Jan 30 2011, 05:23 PM']I don't think it's fair to say that factory instruments have 'no soul'.Marcus or Jaco's Jazz Bass anyone? Or Jamerson or Ducks Precision?

You're lucky to have some money to spend,but what do you want a custom bass for? You're only young,so is it for flash reasons? What bass do you play now? What are your plans for the future and is it worth spending a fortune on a bass?

I'd be looking around shops and looking for an instrument that felt nice to me and doesn't cost the earth-new and secondhand. Or,if you've already got a decent bass,I'd get a decent amp to go with it.

Remember,a fancy custom bass is very nice,but ultimately it comes down to how you play it.[/quote]

I completely agree actually - I was in a similarly fortunate financial situation when I was 18 - I'd already played a Warwick Thumb through-neck and loved it, and now with the benefit of hindsight I can see what a naive thing it was to do, but I simply sent the Bass Centre (still in Wapping at the time) a cheque for the full amount and a letter saying "please send me a Thumb bass..." - this was in 1990 a while before the joys of our internet-eneabled age... well I got lucky as they sent me a stunning bass. This is where I agree with Doddy - that bass served me very well for 18 years and as it was an original Thumb I sold it for just £100 less than I bought it...

Re your desire to buy a custom instruent - can I ask why you really have to have a custom bass? Do you really know the EXACT specifications that will see you through the next ten or maybe 20 years of playing? My advice is go and try loads of basses - don't spend any money until you are 100% sure you've found a great bass - don't be fooled by thinking you HAVE to spend a ton of money to get a great bass - there are plenty around the £1K mark, or under that are fantastic instruments. I went for custom instruments after years of playing the same bass and working out what it was I was missing with my Thumb bass, it took me a long time to do that - I loved my Thumb bass and loads of other people did as well - I just got tired of it.

I hope that helps - knowing the value of something and not just the price is very important - don't rush this decision and whatever you do, don't feel like you HAVE to spend the money just because you've got it... it won't be there very long so take your time!

Mike

Some great points here guys thanks for the quick responses I will try to address your questions...

Jon the Bass: I have played 5 shukers to date and never found any lacking...
Loz196: The 1975 J Fender. But my problem with it is (IMO) it sounds best in slap with a HUGE mid scoop but then means its walks and riffs get lost in the mix.
Ezbass: The reason I want the bass now rather than in the future as im about to have £30k hanging over my head for the next 50 years!
Doddy: Im doing a BA music with teaching Honours (QTS) so im happy to say that the bass will be with me for a long time

:) any others?

I'd be worried about getting a custom bass too early on, i think you're better off trading through a few basses that you think are close to what you want (and some that you don't) for a few years to get a proper feel for the advantages and disadvantages of different styles of bass, as once you've spent your money on a custom, you're not getting it back.

I'd say sink the money into some nice second hand bass(s) that will retain their value, so that you have a great bass, but the money is there in the future for you to sell and buy a custom job when you've palyed a few different styles for a while and know what you're likely to want long term. Then you have the joy of the hunt.

Also think about maybe getting a decent amp whilst your at it if you're worried about money in the future.

I would only ever do it if I could replicate the neck dimensions of something that already exists that I loved the feel of. The neck is the most important thing. The rest is pretty much easy to sort.

I love very shallow Fender Jazz necks, and the current German Warwick necks which are exactly like very shallow Fender Jazz necks but with a flatter radius.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1107985' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:58 AM']I'm sure I've told my cautionary tale before but I bought an Overwater a while back. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a thing of beauty, the quality was outstanding and (in the shop) it sounded incredible. In my band it sounded awful and no amount of adjustment or different strings made it sound good. The thing is, I play in a pub covers band. If I'd thought for ten seconds, who plays a fancy custom bass in a pub covers band? It didn't make any sense at all and it just didn't sound (or look probably) the part. That's what Leo Fender made basses for, so it was back to the Musicman which sounded (as usual) great and appropriate.

Moral - have a very clear understanding of what role the instrument is intended to play. Sometimes a battered old Precision is actually exactly the right thing, no matter how little or how much it costs![/quote]

+ a lot.

This is so close to my own experience it's scary: beautiful Overwater (and a Goodfellow before that) is an unused wallhanging, standard Ray and £200 FrankenP are my working basses. Both great in the studio, too.

Are you monitoring my life from an unmarked van, Blobster? :)

Having said that, I have a slow-burn of GAS for a custom Shuker P, but it'd be so close to a Fender (just better built, and with a couple of tweaks) that I'm having trouble justifying the outlay. I know exactly what I want now from a custom build, but I've been through a lot of time, money and basses to find that out. I'm sure if I'd gone out to a luthier earlier with a big wad of cash, I'd have made an (even more) expensive mistake. I'm marking time with the low-cash option of modding at the cheaper end, SXs and the like, and having great results.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1107799' date='Jan 30 2011, 01:08 AM']....Here's the deal guys i've just received a large sum of money from a deceased relative....[/quote]
1. Get an original 60's Fender jazz or Precision, or both. Put them away.
2. Get a second hand Overwater Progress 3.
3. Think about custom made basses in about 15 years.
4. Have a holiday in US taking in Austin, New Orleans and New York.