Why become a member? ×

Own up, did you think your bass/guitar was plastic?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1107493' date='Jan 29 2011, 06:45 PM']My first bass was made from wood. From the Ply Tree.

Jon.[/quote]
They only grow on the banks of the mouth of the River Ply hence the name. All real genuine plywood comes from Plymouth, it's a well known fact.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1107476' date='Jan 29 2011, 06:37 PM']There's nowt wrong with horse - well tasty meat, that.[/quote]

I was once given horse ribs in a basket in Padua, swilled down with a glass of the local fizzy wine. Lovely. Apologies to Mrs Clarky but I was a poor, starving archaeologist in those days and would, frankly, eat anything put in front of me.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1107495' date='Jan 29 2011, 06:48 PM']They only grow on the banks of the mouth of the River Ply hence the name. All real genuine plywood comes from Plymouth, it's a well known fact.[/quote]
They must've exported a f*ck of a lot of it to Japan in the 70s, then! :)

J.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1107449' date='Jan 29 2011, 06:18 PM']When you're 12 I would[/quote]

agreed.

I remember my first instrument was a clarinet that was definitely made out of plastic, still made a wonderfull "woody" noise. Didn't realise it was plastic until I switched to a new school band at about 13/14 and another kid who had a "proper" wooden instrument turned his nose up at mine and made me feel about 2 inches tall. :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1107417' date='Jan 29 2011, 05:49 PM']Looks like you're on your own on this one Wayne :)

PS, the moon is not made of cheese - fact[/quote]

I think that Wallace of Wallace and Gromit fame would disagree with ya Clarky.

Next thing you`ll be telling me the world is round and not flat.

Jez

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1107419' date='Jan 29 2011, 05:51 PM']My Dad was a carpenter so I knew from very early days what was wood & what wasn't, not to mention my first bass guitar was hand made, out of WOOD that my Dad selected specially for the job :)

To be fair - when I was a lad - I'm not so sure that Plastic had been invented :)[/quote]
Is your real name Jesus?

[quote name='rOB' post='1107540' date='Jan 29 2011, 07:25 PM']agreed.

I remember my first instrument was a clarinet that was definitely made out of plastic, still made a wonderfull "woody" noise. Didn't realise it was plastic until I switched to a new school band at about 13/14 and another kid who had a "proper" wooden instrument turned his nose up at mine and made me feel about 2 inches tall. :)[/quote]

I think a "plastic" family in the orchestra to replace the "woodwind" would definately be an improvement... :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='deaver' post='1107481' date='Jan 29 2011, 06:39 PM']If it's in any consolation my second (or third) bass was a Burns Flyte. I was convinced it had a plastic body and an aluminium neck. I'm still not entirely sure[/quote]
Mate of mine had one of those & was adamant that it had a fibreglass body. He maintained this theory in spite of what appeared to be wood showing beneath the chips in the finish.

As my first bass was (& still is) a 'skunk stripe' Aria, I've never thought of it as being made of anything other than wood - albeit Granitewood.

Pete.

Plastic fantastic!

My first guitar was a second hand plastic Elvis 4 string back in '63

Since then I've had a few wooden instruments but a couple of years ago I acquired a Steinberger fretless from '82.

My latest acquisition has some kind of plastic body, again from the sixties.

[attachment=70370:Ampeg1.jpg]

I also use some plastic noise boxes, AI Coda, EV SB121, Mackie, Yamaha, etc

I'm very impressed with those Cort Curbow basses

Go synthetic and save a tree!

Like Skanky, my first guitar(s) WERE plastic ! but then again, I was only 4 - 5 years old and kept breaking them. Took years of badgering to get Dad to buy me a real wooden one. It came from Woolworths and was the 'Audition' one pickup model.

Swapped it 6 months later for a short scale Vox bass, which I still own, bless it