Why become a member? ×

Topic Title Capitalisation Frustration

Stuee

To the powers that be: I know I'm at risk of making a stink here, being a new member and instantly starting to whinge, but I only mean to try to improve the experience for all forum members. I apologise if this has already been discussed.

This is just a simple request to please turn off the 'feature' in the board software that auto-recapitalises topic titles. You know what I'm talking about. Here's an example:

You enter this:
FS/FT: MIJ Westone Thunder III fretless w/ OHSC, stunning USA made SWR 4x10" cab (WP410), EBS HD350 head BNIB

But it gets [i]corrected[/i] to this:
Fs/ft: Mib Bestone Blunder Iii Feckless W/ Tohc, Stunning Usa Made Gwr 3x9" Cab (wd40), Ups Rd350 Head Rnli

So it doesn't allow common acronyms/capitalisations like ABBA or STD; it ballses up legit brand names and model numbers like MFI SH1T or DFS S0FA, and to make things worse it Capitalises Words That Don't Need It! This Is Rather Silly Imho And Just Confuses The Titles The Confuses Imho Silly Rather Is. Yes.

Can we not be trusted to enter titles properly? Is the fear that the forums will degenerate into some sort of ALL CAPS free-for-all SHOUT-FEST?

In my experience, most people don't like it [i]much [/i]when they're corrected by an intelligent human who [i]does[/i] know better. It's downright infuriating when a dumb computer program that clearly [i]doesn't [/i]do does it, innit?

Please can we turn it off? [size=3]Can we?[/size] [size=4]Please can we? [/size] [size=5]Pleeeeease? [/size] :)

Edited by Stuee

In my list of "new topics" there are a few topic titles that are not fully capitalised . . . .

"Looking for people from Edinburgh/Lothian/Glasgow"

"Ernie Ball Musicman Gamechanger now a reality"

. . . . being two of them, so it's either not fully automatic or it can be configured by each user.

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='Conan' post='1100556' date='Jan 24 2011, 11:00 AM']Isn't This Called 'Sentence Case'?[/quote]

No I don't think so. Sentence Case only capitalises the first letter of the sentence and forces the rest to be lower case.

This is either Title Case, or it could be Start Case, which is less discerning about short articles, etc. I sometimes use Title Case when tagging MP3s or whatever as it saves time, but there's no need for it here - it's too indiscriminate.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1100533' date='Jan 24 2011, 10:43 AM']In my list of "new topics" there are a few topic titles that are not fully capitalised . . . .

"Looking for people from Edinburgh/Lothian/Glasgow"

"Ernie Ball Musicman Gamechanger now a reality"

. . . . being two of them, so it's either not fully automatic or it can be configured by each user.[/quote]
It seems to have been applied to some topics dating back to the 5th or 6th of Jan, but be on all topics from somewhere round the 21st. It's not that easy to pin down though.

Later: looking at the Introductions subforum, it's difficult to draw exact conclusions but it's definitely not applied to one of the topics started on 16th Jan, and almost certainly is to one of them started on the 20th Jan.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='Toasted' post='1103976' date='Jan 26 2011, 04:34 PM']Initially I thought this was just another newbie sticking their neck out with something to complain about - however this is really annoying. Can someone sort it out?[/quote]
Just some newbie?? How [i]very[/i] dare you?!
Do you know whose reflection I think I once might've glimpsed as they hastily left my vicinity?! :)